Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6,246 Excellent


Recent Profile Visitors

1,225 profile views
  1. If it weren’t for the ugly grey pipe, the current rail scene would actually make a fascinating model with trains going in all directions. We always said that the complexity of railways at Belle Isle was quite the equal of the old Fleischmann layouts at IMREX in the 1980s. Tim
  2. I remember John from the 70s & 80s could well be him. The glasses look the same. Tim
  3. The tube is for noise abatement. We can simulate it on CF with a bit of grey pipe lagging. Tim
  4. Driving down York Way, I never fail to be depressed by the brown Soviet-style tower blocks that back on to the road. Some of the KX development is really inspired, these are not. Tim
  5. When we started the layout, the area really hadn’t changed that much, it was very run down, with relatively low rise building replacement in the 60s, 70s & 80s. What is striking is that even the 80s buildings are now being replaced, especially with high rise. The model has become quite an historical record. Ought to be worth a TV program about it one day. Tim
  6. Correct on both counts. The York Way underpass stays rather deeper than it did, to clear HS1. Interesting how many tiled roofs there are on the Cally. Tiling was more common in London than people realise, but these may be a more recent change. Tim
  7. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a picture of one of their lorries somewhere: “PATENT STEAM CARPET BEATING CO., Ltd., Carpet Beaters, Cleaners, and Dyers, 196, York Street, King's Cross, London, N. Hours of Business: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1874 by Simmons & Tullidge. Incorporated as a Private Limited Company in 1893. Managing Director: S. Simmons (founder). Original patentees of Carpet Beating Machinery in England. Branches; Ten in various parts of London and suburbs. Specialities: The Cleaning, Dyeing and Beating of Carpets, and General Household Dyeing and Cleaning. By the Company's
  8. Indeed it is. This is the public’s view, with the Cally road under bridge in the foreground. Our bridge goes over the road, so as to ‘lose’ the trains. The NLR viaduct is lost in the foreshortened telephoto view. The picture would have been taken early 80s, the Ebonite (previously Tylor) tower being demolished in 1983, the year we started planning the layout. Tim
  9. Beautifully elegant Bill Blackburn engineering. Thanks for taking in the task, Nick. Tim
  10. I have been pottering about painting figures and other bits of detail for YR and its environs (I don’t know whether you realise it or not but apparently CF doesn’t have enough people on it...). First up was Flo’ who is putting on a bit of lippy in the ladies. A very smart city gent is deciding what sort of pipe tobacco he is going to buy from Wilson & Watts. Of course you wait for one bowler hatted chap and another comes along almost straight away: I wonder why? He is even more pukka because he’s wearing spats and has an ebony stick. [/URL] Meanwhile,
  11. Not sure of the latter, especially as someone was killed in that failure. Tim
  12. Will be interesting to see what it’s pulling power is on a gradient. Might be a quite in appropriate loco for the NLR pre-war on CF , but it would at least carry the correct letters. That is a very hilly route, but you never know it could be useful fitted with steel tyres. My first train set had a HD 2-8-0 so there’s an excuse for a CP. Tim P.S. I succumbed.
  13. Apple green with a solid black front end did them no favours. Tim
  14. This is all fascinating stuff, thank you all. We have a scooter, currently on the Cally; I think that will get re-routed to York Road as it is one of Ced Verdon’s wonderful clear resin models. This end of the layout is set at 1932, so just right. As for making a bus work - lovely idea - but that would be a major challenge. York Road viaduct would be relatively easy to host a motorised bus, it being just one long removable structure. However, the NLR over bridges do not have a reasonable amount of space through or under them as they have upright supporting the NLR tracks in that area. Th
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.