I can't believe it is over three months since I posted to this topic, admittedly my attention has been on my DJLC entry, even so!
Activity on the layout has been fairly mundane.
I've upgraded the lighting.
One criticism I received was that the layout looked very blue, this niggled me for a while, before I realised I knew it to be true (hence why it had annoyed me so much).
I had used cool white LEDs for lighting as these appeared nearest in the spectrum to natural daylight, but in truth the colour was to stark and made everything appear too bright.
I noticed this most on a rare sunny day when natural light hit the layout, the colours were much more muted and real.
An additional strip of warm white LEDs has been added and instantly transformed the colours to the less stark and more natural tone.
Whilst I was at it I also added some lighting to the fiddle yard. This was not required at home but the fiddle area was a bit dark at exhibitions.
Unfortunately the change in lighting doesn't show very well on photos so I can't demonstrate the effect here.
I've also amended the electrics, up until now the DC controller has simply been wired in via a chocolate block connector under the base board with the connecting wire hanging down below it.
A nice new din plug is now installed on the fascia which looks far more professional, I just need to add a DPDT switch to change between DCC and DC (Should I ever get around to chipping my locos!)
Another issue which has been solved was the slowly decreasing performance of one of the point motors.
I've used tortoise motors throughout and have never had an issue before (the motors on Glencruitten where salvaged from a previous layout so have been in use a while).
One point had ceased to switch fully, needing a shove with a finger tip to complete the throw, this slowly degenerated into the blades not being moved by the motor at all and needing a manual flick to move the blades.
When it finished up with the blades being held in centre position and wouldn't set for either road even with a push I had to do something.
Sod's law dictated that the motor in question was hard up against a cross brace, so viewing was difficult. The motor could be heard to work when the switch was thrown but I couldn't feel any movement above the fulcrum. The fulcrum slider also wouldn't move.
Turning the board on the side revealed this:
When I first installed the point the stretcher bar (moving PCB sleeper) snapped, I repaired it by soldering a brass plate over the cracked joint to rejoin the two halves.
When doing this some of the liquid flux must have run down the shift rod and pooled on the fulcrum, overtime this has slowly rusted solid.
After I removed the motor there was no movement at all above the fulcrum the rod having rusted in the vertical position and seized in the fulcrum hole.
A new hole has to be drilled in the fulcrum as the existing one was blocked solid with rust.
A new shift rod was installed, some oil dribbled on the fulcrum which will hopefully counteract any flux residue and the motor re-installed.
Full remote work restored!
The next exhibition outing for Glencruitten is coming around mid-March (Macclesfield Model Railway Exhibition 14 &215th March) so I need to focus my attention getting the remaining bits of scenery done (mostly completing the airship shed) and I really need to get some steam power working to avoid the diesel time-warp.
I've made some progress and will post some more updates shortly.