Jump to content

Michael Edge

Members
  • Content Count

    3,458
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Everything posted by Michael Edge

  1. No worse than LNER three bar arrangement where the con. rod goes between the two lower bars. Very few designers of either kits or rtr locos pay much attention to where the various rods have to move.
  2. Looks like shunting empties on to the North Gawber branch, they would be picked up by an NCB loco from here.
  3. The whole bridge now checked for fit on the layout. From the inside of the layout, looking up Moorend Lane towards Silkstone Common, From the outside, needs packing up more here to get the girders on to the concrete pads. It's not easy to see how it fits here without dismantling the layout. From outside the shed - no more jokes about the window bars please. I'll paint and weather it all next, then take the board out to fit it in place.
  4. You've done well rolling the boiler from .015" n/s, I use .010" brass for boilers, I find n/s doesn't roll nearly as well.
  5. I can't remember, my notes just say K's kit supplied and RG4c motor/Markits wheels - I did take a fair bit of care with it though, partly to prove that a good model can be made from a K's kit. That wasn't always true though, I did see more than a few kits which had been produced with obviously worn out moulds.
  6. Because too many potential customers are terrified of soldering - but we always tell them our kits can't really be glued together.
  7. The Mauritius loco was mostly etched. I've built quite a few of the Backwoods NG Garratts, the NGG16 goes together well but the K1 has a few problems.
  8. It's all K's above the frames so yes it is their riveted tender.
  9. At the risk of making you feel any worse..... My customer is something of a Garratt enthusiast, this is the first one I built for him, also painted by Dave Studley - Mauritius Railways 2-8-8-2 in EM. He's got a couple of narrow gauge ones as well that I built from Backwoods kits. I will confess to being a Garratt enthusiast myself.
  10. Some years ago I built this model of the Vivian's Garratt in EM from the Backwoods kit. Superbly painted by Dave Studley.
  11. The roller bearing fitted 5MTs had to have the wheelbase lengthened to make room for the axleboxes, the longer wheelbase then became standard for all later ones.
  12. The LNER built 8F tenders had disc wheels but they probably got swapped around quite a bit later.
  13. I built up the test for the 7mm Stone-Faiveley pantograph yesterday. Here it is on the wooden block it's built on, with the 4mm version for comparison. It all went together with no real problems, just one part needs a small modification. The additional rod from the head is there, just obscured by the upper arm on this side - it doesn't actually work to keep the head level but it does have to be there. We are still waiting for the 4mm production etches to arrive, the 7mm version should be out early next year.
  14. For the benefit of those outside South Yorkshire this is what real Barnsley chops look like. Last night's dinner - these are not small plates either. Chops from McQuillan's butchers, High Street, Royston.
  15. That's a Hunslet 0-4-0DH, have you put the wrong photo in?
  16. 1361 now finished, ready to go to Ian Rathbone for painting. The tanks and balance pipe are just rested in place for now, when it's painted the tank is pegged to the cab front with three short wires and the front end will be glued to the support brackets from the boiler. The balance pipe locates in holes under the tank. Frames and wheels painted now in my usual way, the slidebars pegged through the cylinders and soldered to the bracket and front cylinder ends. The front cylinder cover is not intended to be left bright, although some painters seem to think this, it's just that t
  17. Don't forget she'll be a really fierce sand dancer - nearly put Geordie but it's the wrong side of the Tyne.
  18. I've used the American system with complete success for many years in O gauge with cast iron wheels (which are very easy to insulate one side only) but not had the same results in 4mm scale. For my own stock I always put tender pickups on (at least on the outer axles) in addition to the driving wheels.
  19. No, I don't use anything to retain it, I run it up to ruler before wetting it with ipa then drop the very dilute pva on with a pipette. I do also add some washing up liquid to the glue as well.
  20. I've only used plungers very occasionally and never on unpowered wheels but I couldn't count the number of locos that have passed across my bench to have them removed because they have subsequently failed to work..... I replace them with simple, easily adjustable phosphor bronze wire wipers.
  21. I think the last one is just ash but the photo does show that there was often no ballast in 10ft or more track spaces. The third one is what I usually aim for in my steam era layouts - the first one has too much of a "prize length" look about it. Not quite finished ballasting on 00 gauge Wentworth Junction - Greenscene 414 glued with dilute pva afte wetting with ipa (isopropyl alcohol).
  22. I was on that train, special run to Tinsley so that we could be pulled by the class 13. That was my last trip over the Woodhead line.
  23. One coal hoist still there in Goole, photo taken last month.
  24. Thanks for that Dave, we'll add the information to our instructions.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.