Jump to content

jrg1

Members
  • Content Count

    870
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

703 Good

Recent Profile Visitors

546 profile views
  1. Further to our discussion of the RDEB Van, the instructions suggest soldering in the coach side sections and then rolling it to the tumblehome shape.  I found this extremely difficult, and think the MJT instructions to roll the side to the tumble home first, roll the side sections to suit and then assemble to be far easier.

    Also, I am using Markits LNER buffers-an excellent product, in my opinion.

    Good Luck with the build.

     

    John

  2. Yes it is-I will check the height as you said. for the roof, I have MJT cast ends and aluminium section. The coach ends are a pair of Kings Cross (!) castings, and I spent yesterday trimming the MJT castings to fit the coach ends. At one stage I was just going to fit a formed plastic roof, but decided to persevere with the metal components. I was going to build the kit as a diagram 111 with no guard's ducket, but the coach side etch location is blank-so a ducket will be fitted for diagram 154.
  3. A 51L kit, with MJT floorpan. The sides go together much the same as MJT, with separate panels. I will probably use nuts for the next turnbuckle underframe. Considering the vacuum reservoir, I wondered if they were located crosswise-It seems difficult to understand that they were a standard fitting on 61'6" stock, and not on short stock.
  4. Thanks Bucoops-you are at exactly the same stage as me, with Fox bogies and MJT suspension. I scratched the turnbuckle underframe, as the 2D etches looked unsatisfactory to me.
  5. On the subject of LNER coaches, I am detailing a D154 52'6" chassis. The MJT underframe arrangement drawing shows the vacuum reservoir cylinder between the truss post and the vacuum cylinder-this is fine for a 61'6" chassis, but not a shorty. Can anyone advise the location, Please?
  6. Definitely-his Scottish Photographs are superb. HR 103 at Dalnaspidal is an especial favourite. Books I would nominate are Fenman's Images of Steam, Colin Walker's record of the GCR and Eric Bruton's BR steam.
  7. I thought it was just me becoming more and more annoyed at documentaries that are poorly produced, repetitive and Vacuous. I am surprised that no-one mentioned my pet dislike-presenters who think they should get in the way of the subject taking up screen time with waffle, instead of staying in the background, and generally dumbing down. I was looking forward to a documentary on Lincoln, and having watched most of it, gave up bored. The TV documentaries of the sixties and seventies should be compulsive viewing for presenters who feel they should give something of themselves.
  8. I managed to acquire nearly three dozen RM Wagons of the LMS articles that ran from 1963 to 1970. Terrifically informative, inspiring and encouraged me to have a go, and move up from Airfix minerals. Going by today's editorial dogma, they would be rejected-lots of words, usually one picture and a drawing. Rather regressive to me.
  9. Lovely locomotive class, and such a variety for modellers. I have a Mainly trains etch and a Hornby body that is currently being hacked and modified to suit. If I can source another body, I will produce a condensing version with earlier cab.
  10. To fix the buffer shanks, cut plastic insulation tube from 12V wiring and glue onto the shank end.
  11. This is the clearest photograph that I have
  12. Thanks-I like to finish off models with decent sprung buffers and am always on the lookout for suppliers. I assume that they are wrong as the base is rectangular, instead of round-but they still look far superior to cast W/M. Try Kadee coupling springs.
  13. The M&GNR Ivatt class 4s were cascaded to Lincolnshire when the line shut down, enabling the withdrawal of the Gresley K2s. They were an everyday sight, with the remaining engines transferred away on the closure of Lincoln and Boston sheds.
  14. Unfortunately, there was no provision for replacing the plastic coupling rod pins or valve gear-not a good idea on a working locomotive. There was also the "Simplas" motorising option for the Kitmaster Pug. This was a W/M block for the chassis, which the motor sat on, sandwiched between the kit frames. Brass axle bearings and wheels were supplied. I am not sure whether these were produced by EAMES. Never got mine to work properly either.
  15. I wonder if he has considered 3D printing for this project-it may save huge amounts of time.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.