Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

7,540 Excellent

Profile Information

  • Location
    Coulsdon, Surrey
  • Interests
    My Workbench topic http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/
    My Layout topic https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149386-gresley-junction/

Recent Profile Visitors

2,664 profile views
  1. I can’t argue with that...almost as good as a Gresley pacific! But the Black 5 and 8F still win for me on numbers alone.
  2. I’m not an expert on the LMS, but while the Duchesses maybe the ‘sexiest’, surely the Black 5 and 8F were the ‘best’ measured in terms of success and fitness for purpose? I’ll go Black 5. Andy
  3. Long time no post! Here is my main current work in progress. This is the NMRS (ex Meteor) C12 O gauge kit. There’s still some detail and a lot of cleaning up to do and it needs a motor as the one I ordered was too big. MSC models have very kindly agreed to exchange it for a smaller version which I should get later this week. As those who follow Wright Writes will have seen, I had some problems creating the curves for the cab roof. I managed to rectify that by filling the creases with high temperature solder and sanding/ filing . @Ian
  4. I agree. I’m not sure that you would need quite as much plastic as you suggest but the frames are enough to make it a non starter unless your objective is to prove it can be done out of sheer stubbornness. Swapping the motor over is by far the easiest solution. Does anyone know iof there is a direct swap for the D13? Andy
  5. I totally agree with you about shorts on DC locos. But the truth is it doesn’t really matter if a DC loco has a brief short. It may stutter slightly, but it will carry on regardless and no damage is done. So DC users can get away with less exacting standards. On DCC it can be more serious. It normally just shuts the system down and no damage done. But sometimes it seems to fry the chip. I don’t really understand why this happens. I understand that if DCC power is connected to the motor terminals and back into the chip that way it will be terminal. But why a straightforward short some
  6. Cooking chips is annoying but I’ve only ever cooked one expensive chip - a Zimo sound chip. And that was replaced for £25 (now £30) under the standard Zimo rules for replacing chips (even when it’s the purchaser’s fault) which I think is very reasonable. I normally put cheap £10 Chinese chips in kit built locos while I check them out. In fact I think the cost of replacing all the chips I have blown up over the years comes to less than one AM10 motor so not a big deal. Coming back to my D13 fitted V2, it won’t be difficult to sort out. But it also needs repainting - it’s in a horrid
  7. Agreed. The motor connects through the worm gear and axle onto the frames, so there would need to be a lot of insulation to isolate it completely - i.e. something like plastic frames as suggested by St Enodoc.
  8. I would agree totally with that description. It is very powerful and will pull more than almost any other steam loco I own. In my opinion it is not the motor which is normally the critical part of haulage ability but the weight of the loco and Tony has stuffed every available orifice on this V2 with lead in his normal way! I do however find it rather sluggish and have, in the main, relegated it to long fitted goods. Here is a link to a picture and a 30 second video of it running n my layout, Gresley Junction. This was maximum speed. It's fine for fitted goods but a bit sluggish for
  9. I think that would work in theory. But in practice any stray short would go straight to the motor terminal and back to the decoder which it would not appreciate. I suspect that would be new decoder time! Therefore, I think it’s highly inadvisable in practice. I have one such loco to convert and I’m still dithering over how to do it as it runs so well with the D13. Andy
  10. This is a hard one with K3, N2 and A1 all contenders. But I don’t think the A1 was really sorted out until LNER days and the N2 was a niche product. So I’m going to give it to the C1. Despite not being perfect in its original guise, Gresley sorted it out and for an express passenger engine it had superb longevity, with 50 years of service. And a real part of the ECML tradition.
  11. This train was an 11 car formation from KX with six coaches for Cambridge on the back. Unlike the later splitting 1752 KX-PN/CMB, it was not double headed, so probably justified a Pacific as far as Hitchin.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.