Jump to content

61656

Members
  • Content Count

    448
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,293 Excellent

Recent Profile Visitors

368 profile views
  1. 57m is some run! I think a circuit of mine is about 12… Good to see the upgrades to the coaches. I fancy having a go at a Lima mk2c TSOT, but a single coach in a rake of Bachmanns might be a step too far.
  2. All such references are welcome! I have plenty of time to wait, it’s taken me 5 years to get this far.
  3. I’ve just got as far as that working in my WTT. It’s booked for a 47/4 and TP set 2 through Christleton. It will be weeks until I get as far as the return working. It’s one of the few workings I actually have the right stock in the right place to run. Of course, it will have no storage space in either fiddle yard due to the 300 DMUs I don’t have!
  4. My intention is to use them on Bachmann coaches; I found some pictures that showed them impressively close. I should have some comparative photos up shortly.
  5. SLK is the code for speedlink used in the WTT. Who am I to reinvent the wheel?
  6. That's the philosophy I've used so far. Unfortunately (depending on your view point), at least 7 units leave Christleton in the morning before any come back, or in some cases trains are in the wrong fiddle yard due to the unbalanced service (4 southbound freightliners versus 1 northbound in the early hours for example). I have terminal fiddle yards for Holyhead (Chester), Warrington (Mickle Trafford and Frodsham) and Crewe. There are two continuous running lines between Warrington and Crewe yards, but it looks like I need a link from Crewe to Holyhead yards to solve the problem of
  7. With thanks to St Enodoc for the original format, I've made some progress on the Christleton working timetable. I've transferred the first couple of pages of both Passenger and Freight timetables in Up and Down directions. This takes me to circa 90 moves between midnight and 07.00, without even a whiff of a Trans-Pennine service! There's a picture of the first 50 moves below. I'm trying to re-use locos and stock as far as possible, but I'll probably need to actually try it to work out if I've missed possibilities. I started colouring in services I can't yet run (the DPU), but soon
  8. There’s probably a reality about coupling up under the wires as well! I really like the look of a model loco with a screw coupling, but I guess if I can live with the track being 250mm too narrow I can overlook the kadees too.
  9. I have some Hornby close couplers on order which apparently pull the coaches really close and can be split in the fiddle yard. Magnets are next on my list. I am still mulling over how to use screw couplings for the locos...
  10. As it’s the only pic I’ve found of an I/C mk1 in a consist bound for North Wales in 1986 I would say it’s definitely an outlier! I’d noticed most 47 hauled Cardiff services were PV sets, but hadn’t realised it was a Pennine rake (but I did know the Pennine rakes were cascaded to this route following the introduction of then Sprinters). I would assume the Pennine rake would do a Holyhead to Cardiff return between other duties, therefore on the date in question the set must have been red carded at Cardiff and the next available set used in its place. Still a fairly rare event to have
  11. On the subject of finding photos, I found this whilst researching the forthcoming 47435. Ages ago I was talking about i/c liveried mk1s in the Cardiff sets (possibly with PCM), but I don’t think we managed to find any evidence of one. Looks like the model will need the dominoes painting yellow for 1986. http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0410020347000
  12. Now that’s a train! Shows how long they must have had between services to allow that to progress.
  13. My platforms are really curved, so I wasn’t sure about using solid wood. Much easier to get a nice curve with stripwood. Other than paint the black plasticard tops grey, I haven’t done anything with the platforms yet, but they are reasonably convincing of a faded tarmac.
  14. I used 18mm stripwood for the sides with frequent cross members and 0.5mm plasticard for the tops. The droopy platform in question is lacking proper support. When I built that section the fireplace was still in situ and I was really unclear about how I’d deal with it. Luckily the platform tops are only lightly secured with dots of uhu - I was very conscious of the lack of rigidity in the plasticard.
  15. I’ve managed to make a start on the wall at the awkward end of platform 4. It’s a lot tighter to the fireplace than I’d like, but the rest of the layout dictated the geometry. I’ve had an SE Finecast sheet of arched plasticard hanging around for ages now; I think I bought it for the last layout to trial a retaining wall. Anyway, it goes together quite nicely, and isn’t as much of a faff to cut out as I feared. The first half arch will nearly all be covered with building, so that’s just filled with bricks. The next one is too shallow to do much with, so is a small maintenance store wi
×
×
  • Create New...