Another year older and deeper in debt but I was able take the new 6825 out of its box officially today. It looks much the same as the other green Granges except for the tender. I'll run it in later tonight on DC. I removed the old 6825's nameplates and numberplates and changed the smokebox plate to 6824 - the new one already has 6825 printed on the front and I've run out of Slaters 1.5mm 6s. If the new plates for 6824 arrive this week I'll fit them next weekend.
I also took the old decoder out of 6824 ready to fit to the new 6825, so now 6824 needs a new decoder. I think a TCS DP2X-UK should fit through the gap in the bottom of the boiler. It's a real nuisance that NCE has discontinued its 8-pin plug-fitted range.
Why didn't I just change over the tenders? Well, that was my original plan but the old 6825 was one of Hornby's pre-weathered models (6869 was its original number). Putting it next to a clean tender (and the new clean loco next to a dirty tender) just wouldn't have looked right in the end. Edit: when I was setting up the rolling road, I noticed that the new loco has a semi-permanent tender coupling rather than the old pin-and-hole type, so Plan A wouldn't have worked anyway.
Out in the railway room, all the Penzance droppers went in today. There were about 70 of them in the end, by the time I'd connected each point plus the various lengths of track that join the points to the rest of the layout and to each other. Feeders next - not too hard a job but not my favourite as it's all under the baseboards.