Jump to content

Booking Hall

Members
  • Content Count

    617
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2,320 Excellent

Profile Information

  • Location
    Burnley

Recent Profile Visitors

2,115 profile views
  1. Note for anyone also making one this way, make sure you have sufficient length between the pivot and counterweight, or else make that part of the arm cranked upwards, otherwise it won't go adequately vertical before the weight hits the support uprights - like mine!!
  2. Not much done this weekend, just a manual lifting barrier to restrict access to the oil depot area. Made from a piece of welding rod with a piece of brass turned to fit as the counterweight, plastic 'I' section for the uprights and a bit of wire soldered on as the pivot arm.
  3. Glad you found the thread interesting John, and yes, that's my era too!
  4. Hi Steve, I should really have added the comment that I didn't get mine from B&Q after all, as the corrugations on the ones they had were too far apart and coarse. I eventually tracked a suitable one down at my local Ironmongers. Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase!
  5. Thanks Steve. It isn't my original idea, but it works very well if you can find some threshold strip with the right pitch of corrugations. I described the process in a bit more detail in this post from my 'Far Wittering' thread. For the light railway look I'm aiming for, I fancied having a small corrugated iron building as the station, located at the station yard entrance rather than on the platform. This follows the original designers intentions also. One of my all-time favourite films is 'Oh, Mr Porter!', which was filmed at Cliddesden on the Basingstoke to Alton line, and I foun
  6. On reflection, it seemed a daft idea to strip off the rubber insulation and then reinstall it on some more wire. Why not just use the old cable 'as is', so that's what I did. It was flexible enough to allow me to bend it to shape, but firm enough to stay in the shape required. I made some pipe stools for it to sit on and installed it at the foot of the cliff. It isn't quite finished yet but I need to get the fuel tank that serves the power house installed and piped up first, so a fuel line can run alongside the steam lines over the pipe bridge. This tank also needs a small pump house so I knoc
  7. Reading up on the history of the prototype of the Airfix class B tank wagons, and on tank farms in general, I learned that both tankers and tanks were fitted with steam heating coils to improve the flow of the more viscous 'heavy' oils carried and stored. Unfortunately, that made me want to incorporate steam pipelines on my model, and the obvious source of such supplies is the boiler/power house at the back of the transit shed. So, I've set myself the challenge of installing said pipework and this means crossing the track at some point. I've chosen to do this at the shortest crossing point and
  8. Pump House now finished, an enjoyable little project. I expect that the prototype would probably have asbestos cement walls, or perhaps Masonite (treated hardboard), sitting on a brick plinth to raise it off the ground, and be painted. The roof would probably be zinc and the window a steel framed type. The variety and subtlety of building types and styles fascinates me.
  9. Jumping about a bit, I wanted to try and resolve the arrangement for the large oil storage tank and its associated infrastructure, so, after a bit of thought I've started making a small building to house the pumps and valves to control the direction of flow. Pipework going into this building will be added with track-side connections and the tank itself will be re-positioned slightly nearer to the bridge to allow more room for the building and vehicles etc. I re-read this article from the March 1964 Railway Modeller to give me ideas.
  10. A tale of two water cranes. Moving on from the cliff landscaping, I started to detail the locomotive siding and wanted to install a water crane. Easy, I thought, just paint up and add a drainage gulley to the old Tri-ang one I have, let it into the ground and blend it in. But when i got it in there, fortunately, not fixed down, I thought it looked too tall. It was even taller than the oil storage tank behind it. Putting a scale ruler on it I found that it was over 22ft high! I wanted to use it, but it was no good. Having seen how it looked I knew I just couldn't. So, I
  11. Activity in the last few days has been directed towards putting up the iron and concrete fences and adding overgrowth to the cliff top and parts of the cliff face. There is a little more still to do. The iron fence is Ratio GWR 'spearpoint' fencing but this can pass for use pretty much anywhere. I see from the packaging that it is no longer known as 'Ratio', but now comes under PECO's 'Parkside' range. The concrete fence is built up from Scale Model Scenery's 3D printed concrete posts with cereal box card for the slot-in panels, which I made 6ft x 1ft, all painted with 'storm grey' emulsion pa
  12. Well, after that lovely, long, dry, sunny spell, the miserable weather we're now having is proving beneficial for the layout at least! The bridge was weathered using both the airbrush and weathering powders, as were the workshop and shops buildings, and it is now glued into position. Before glueing down the workshop building and remaining pavement sections I traced their outline onto the top level and painted the road surface to suit. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to get a perfect match with that already painted on the bridge, I planned to make these sections a shade or so darker, to suggest
×
×
  • Create New...