Jump to content

Caley Jim

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

4,776 Excellent

1 Follower

Profile Information

  • Location
    Biggar, South Lanarkshire
  • Interests
    Caledonian Railway 1885-1915 modelling in 2fs

Recent Profile Visitors

712 profile views
  1. No, sorry, that's the up home, with Garnqueen N Jct's outer splitting distants, and the Greenfoot down home in the background. The box is hidden behind the trees on the left. The down distant was waaaay down the hill in the background. It was lever 5, locked by 6 & 7. There was a repeater on the wall behind it which would be showing 'off', but when you looked down the line the signal was neither one thing nor the other. Some drivers must have come round the curve at Ganqueen, either off the Coatbridge, or the Buchanan Street line, to see that signal waggling up and down as if it was waving at them, as we tried to get it 'off'! Jim
  2. Indeed! Mine is described briefly here with resilience and light weight in mind. Some of the results are here and further down the page. Jim
  3. That's the difference up here in Scotland. The FM is constantly pointing out (some would say as nausiam) that we have got levels low because of the sacrifices everyone has been making and we have to keep our guard up. We are the first line of defence. Meanwhile the PM and his side kicks appear to be running around like headless chickens. As to journalists, they never let the truth or reasoned judgement get in the way of a dramatic headline. I stress that I have no political allegiance. Jim
  4. None left around here, apart from Biggar which I believe is now occupied by an architect's office. I spent my youth in Greenfoot box. problem signal there was the down distant, nearly a mile away on Garnqueen North Junction's starter. On a warm day it was a devil to get it to go properly 'off'. It also had the level crossing gates, operated by a big wheel. They could be awkward depending on how the wind was blowing. Jim
  5. There are plenty photos of CR boxes in Jim Summers' 'Signalling the Caledonian Railway'. Jim W
  6. That is true, but none of what you are likely to catch from someone you meet , even in a crowded exhibition hall, is likely to have the same short or long term effects as this particular corona virus (Covid-19 is the disease it causes). None of these would be a worry to me as I have been vaccinated against all of them, (with the exception of hep-A) hep-B as a requirement of my registration with the GDC, without which I would not have been allowed to practice. I can't see either of these points as a valid argument in favour of taking the risk. Jim
  7. No matter how low the risk, 1:10,000 or 1:100,000, if you happen to be standing close to that 1, and they are not taking precautions, then the risk becomes 100% and then you can, unknowingly, pass it on to who know's who among your family and friends. Add to that, not only the possible severity of the resulting illness (compared to a cold), but also the continuing after effects which they are now starting to appreciate, then why take any risk? Public health is everyone's responsibility and other things (keeping schools open for one) are more important than going to Model Railway Exhibitions. Jim
  8. Being in the over 70 bracket I am extremely wary at present of going anywhere that has a number of people indoors. Not everyone seems to appreciate that we are still in a very delicate situation and the virus is still out there ready to spread at the slightest opportunity. Look at the situation in Aberdeen and around Manchester. It just needs one person who is unknowingly infected to act in the least way irresponsibly and it will spread like wildfire. Much as I enjoy participating in shows manning a society stand, I will not be doing so in the foreseeable future. The risk is too great. As a retired health care professional I understand that public health must take absolute priority. Jim
  9. Being familiar with the drawings from making the window etchings it's good to see it all coming together nicely in three dimensions. Jim
  10. Just found that it's the same on my phone. I first viewed it on my computer and couldn't understand what Tim was on about. Jim
  11. It's not A Hag Pit, but 'Hag Pit'. As always, Google is your friend! Jim
  12. Most, if not all, country roads would be gravel, basically dirt tracks. There might be ruts from farm carts etc, but there would not be a 'ridge' in the middle, or grass growing there, as you would see nowadays. The horses drawing the carts would flatten that down and prevent weeds growing there. Jim
  13. Just watch where you're standing , lads, or it could be painful! Jim
  14. On both of mine the bogie pivots on a bolt. On one the bolt is fixed in the loco spacer with a slot in the bogie stretcher and on the other the bolt slides in a slot in the loco spacer. Both have dinner springs which support the rear of the loco, help to centre the bogie and carry current from the bogie wheels to the loco. Works well on both. Jim
  15. Modern, light coreless motors will certainly make life easier. Both my 0-4-4T's have old iron cored motors which project back into the cab and bunker and I had to put fairly strong springing onto the bogie to hold the back up. Jim
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.