Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by doilum

  1. The date might be the clue. A shortage of wagons resulting in modified coke wagons being used for coal or stone. Common sense applied to avoid overloading?
  2. Pontefract. Had another enjoyable show before the impending doom dawned on us.
  3. They don't corrode so are ideal for droppers. World Rally teams use gold plated pins in their electrical connectors. It's only money!!
  4. This is a regional thing. The NE railway was ( I think) the only one to try and standardise on hopper ( bottom door) delivery to it's stations. Thus the elevated coal siding became a feature of most station layouts. The bigger the station, the greater number of cells. Other companies seem to have generally delivered coal in side door wagons . This resulted in the ground level bunker made from old sleepers or even large lumps of coal. Personally, I have always associated the term " staithes" with the river or dockside facilities for loading ships or barges. This is probably a question of l
  5. Try a Google image search for wholesale vegetables market. I quickly found one of Covent garden. Sadly, inevitably monochrome, but shows sacks and boxes well.
  6. At the risk of stirring up a wet Wednesday, whilst most of us spend three days searching out and repurposing , top modellers take a clean sheet of paper and have the job done by tea time. Discuss.
  7. I maybe wrong but think that the sacks were "sown" shut with a length of twine.
  8. Having just had a play with what I think is a random Hachette axle it appears to be M 2.5. The three I replaced for St Frusquin went into a static Peckett in the first lock down.
  9. If you go for a four wayTT it is important that the four exits are perfectly aligned so that each will match any entrance. Don't ask how I learned this. This is a feature best made on the bench and then inserted into the layout when fully tested.
  10. My memory may be less reliable but, from teenage days working for a fruit and veg merchant, the common or garden spud came in much darker sacks. Specialist potatoes like the Jersey Mid came in lighter sacks with a red printed logo. Some came in small plywood barrels but either way they were packed in peat to stop them bruising. My time in this job(early 70s) saw the transition to paper sacks.
  11. I'm afraid they may be Chinese bicycle thread. Or a bespoke artisan product unknown to the western world. I think if you have reached the point of deformation you have overtightened them in the quest to convince yourself that they are ok. I decided that the fit was ok for the non driving wheels and paid the £15 for three axles and screws. Making the Slater's axles fit takes some careful fettling but is definitely worth the effort.
  12. A couple of shots I missed first time. Write your own conversation between dog, cat and old George.
  13. By my reckoning the were 507 austerity tank engines. 393 wartime builds. 114 post war new builds (15 rebuilds with new HE numbers) How many different examples have we modelled? Any scale, any period. To kick off, here are mine: Let's start with one that ISN'T an austerity HE 2414 (1942) the 50550 class HE2879 (1943) Diana HE 3168 ,(1944) S134 aka Wheldale HE 3180 (1944) Antwerp RSH 7164 (1944) " Sgt Pepper"
  14. Providing that it is used prototypically * there should not be an issue with wiring. If what you want is a tiny loco device, then you will need to arrange a split disc of copper clad paxolin beneath the structure and have wire pick ups from the rails. * The TT enables a 90degree turn for wagons only which are propelled by horse, tractor or capstan.
  15. What ever you choose avoid glueing it flat. Just a few mm at one end makes the world of difference.
  16. Old school. Very fine fuse wire retains it's shape.
  17. If you don't cry easily look for photos of locos being cut up. You might get lucky as I did when researching my 3MT. On that subject the ,82045 website has lots of progress photos including the cab interior.
  18. I trust you are aware of " The British Traveling Post Office" by Peter Johnson. I succumbed and built a triple set of Gresley units.
  19. The passing loop sounds interesting. Add a drop off siding and lots of micro detailing.
  20. For a completely alternative approach take a look at Gordon and Maggie Gravet's Arun Quay. The " river" illusion needs to be seen. The misty murky background is Manchester on two days from three.
  21. In the end this is not a search for the mythical Doncaster green. Each wagon weathers slightly differently and the original colour only matters if you are tempted to build another. There is nothing to say that individual steel works used the same colour. Given that shade of gray, end of a war, there might be a lot of surplus paint originally intended for the navy. Perhaps the red lead undercoat went to the coal board!
  22. I noticed that. It might be worth the journey to the proper timber merchant as, like for like, the prices are very similar.
  23. No problem!! The rust is the eyecatcher. The interior condition was probably decided by the nature of the waste carried. From the photos I had, the NCB wagons had a lining of dried slurry not dissimilar to a wheelbarrow that doubles up as a concrete mixer. I guess the steel slag left a polished surface that quickly rusted. The battered end suggests a bucket that has fallen off a time or two and has been replaced by an enthusiastic digger driver.
  24. I wouldn't be far off then. As an aside I recall that Slater's had a Midland based 7mm layout at their old premises. The spinners utilised tender drive.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.