Jump to content

Dana Ashdown

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

107 Good

Recent Profile Visitors

156 profile views
  1. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think to make a B2 tender from the C Class tender, you need to remove the front panel extensions from the C Class tender tank and shorten the front chassis underneath to match. The rear steps of the C Class tender also need removing and possibly the rear of the tank and chases need shortening as well? Best to measure everything with a scale ruler first though. Dana
  2. Hello Linny. As an alternative to buying feet, you could try making some wedges out of wood, two per leg. Taping them in or out will raise or lower the leg. The only leg you don't need them for is the highest one. The pointy ends of each pair of wedges should be pointed in the opposite direction, so the top and bottom of the wedge pair is level. Alternatively, you could also try some thick cardboard under the offending legs. Dana
  3. Love what your doing with this. Just a suggestion, but could you not reuse the cab front from the C-class and make new sides and roof from plastic card stock instead? If the drawing were printed to scale, you could cut out the cab side from the drawing and use it as a template. My only concern would be if the footplate is of the correct length for the longer LC&DR cab. Dana
  4. Just a observation, but there are no 2nd Class compartments for the SECR carriages. Will these be provided for? Dana
  5. First off, I’ve replaced the painting diagram posted on Wednesday with the full-sized original, as the reduced resolution made it difficult to read the smaller numbers. Having studied it, it appears that the wheels, boiler (including steam and safety dome), cab front and sides, splashers and tender tank sides are entirely brunswick green, with none of the black border seen on Wainwright’s livery, nor on the works grey photo of No.779. Even the boiler bands appear to be brunswick green with yellow-lined borders. The yellow lining is only 3/16-inches wide, so is quite narrow. It is discernible in the picture here of D-Class No.490 (I think this appeared on one of Edwardian’s threads last year), but it is subtle. The lining is barely visible in the picture LaCatherdrale posted of No.777 at Caterham, so again the effect is perhaps even more subtle when not well illuminated. The frames are painted “Purple Brown (Deep Red)”, with black springs, brake shoes and rods, and so on. The reference to “Deep Red” is interesting as it differs from the “light brown” quoted by Gareth from Marx’ Wainwright and his Locomotives. The works grey photo of No.779 has lining on the frames, steps and wheels where the diagram shows none. Smokebox, chimney and cab roof are black. Curiously, the Borsig engines don’t appear to have carried a builder’s plate. To Corneliuslundie’s earlier point about HMRS probably not publishing a volume on SECR liveries. The SECR Society does seem to have covered the topic for its membership, and they have been very generous in helping non-members like myself, but I believe a handy reference along the lines of Great Western Way would still be valuable. Perhaps another joint HMRS/SECRS project? Dana
  6. Hello McLong. Thanks for posting the pictures. I think you're right. I was under the impression that the cylinders were change along with the boiler pressure, but I must have confused this with the L1 class. However, the smokebox's and door's were altered/replaced, as your two pictures show. Dana
  7. Very neatly applied! Will you be using the existing under frame, or replace it with truss rods? Dana
  8. Thanks Laecathedrale. That's a very useful picture. I can also see how the top of the cab roof was done. In breaking news, I've just heard from John Arkell of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society regarding the livery. He has kindly supplied a 1914 profile painting diagram for the L-class, as well as a drawing for the brass numbers. The painting diagram is quite revealing, and definitely easier to do than the full Wainwright. John has advises me that the diagrams are on the members page (with a reminder that membership has its rewards), but has let me post them here, so much thanks to John and the SECR Society. (Note, I've made the file size for the numbers smaller than the original sent to me.) Dana
  9. Actually, I had considered something like that with some 6-wheel HO Pullman bogies that I have, but the frames then look rather undersized, giving an odd appearance. 4-wheel bogies might be different, but I think proper OO bogies would be better.
  10. I would suggest 6-wheel coaches, as I believe most of the 4-wheeled coaches were either withdrawn or put into London suburban services by about 1910. A PBV is an alternative to a BT, and don't forget that the SECR had 2nd Class at this time. We'll all look forward to seeing your LCDR brake 3rd completed! I think several members have noted that the LCDR stock was better built, and lasted longer than the SER's equivalent. Dana
  11. Someplace small might be appropriate. Maybe <insert name here> Manor? Dana
  12. Linny, as a possible fix, try painting over the offending silvering in the body colour with a fine brush. Then varnish as usual. If you're careful, you can eliminate most of the problem. I've done this with Ratio wagons where the LNWR transfers were the offenders, and so eliminated almost all of the silvering. What's left isn't really noticeable. Dana
  13. Yes please Annie! It would be interesting to see them. I think the trailing wheels would classify it as a "Patentee" if it was built that way, although some Planets were fitted with the trailing axle later in life. Dana
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.