Jump to content

Ian Rathbone

Members
  • Content Count

    58
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

524 Good

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

288 profile views
  1. A bit late to the party. City of Birmingham is the only locomotive left that carries BR ‘steam’ green, ie pre ‘64. However before it went into the museum BR Crewe touched up various parts of the engine and tender - using the green paint that was being used for diesels at the time. Ironically it is also now the only locomotive left that carries the diesel green. So, a double reason not to ‘restore’ it. Ian R
  2. For most applications Humbrol 174 Signal Red is good for buffer beam red. However it is not suitable for GWR or early BR(W), for this you need China Red which is quite a browny red with a bit of a pink tinge. for that you need equal parts of Crimson Lake, Humbrol Tan (9) and Humbrol Bright Red (19). Ian R
  3. The one thing that spoils an excellent build is the over thick boiler bands. A real life boiler band is about 2mm thick which, in 4mm scale, is 0.025 mm (or 1 thou in imperial). If your loco is to have a lined livery, the thickness of the transfer on its own is sufficient. If it is to be unlined then Scotch Magic Tape is the best solution, under a couple of layers of paint it is very stable. I model in 7mm scale and always use either a transfer or tape. This one, built by Steve Duckworth, is 4mm - Ian R
  4. Tony, where is the Black 5 to run? The ‘MT’ classification was only used in Scotland. Best regards Ian
  5. The best thing to do when faced with making a bend is to anneal the brass in the vicinity. I use a hob on the gas cooker and heat until the brass turns red. If you don’t have a gas cooker or blow lamp find a friend who has one or the other. Let the brass cool naturally then using a dowel or pencil or whatever (slightly smaller in diameter than the bend to be formed) gently form the bend, checking continually that it is at right angles to the edge and in the right place. Do not use pliers as, on annealed brass, your fingers, or a flat piece of wood on the outside of the bend, are sufficient. If
  6. Two weeks after being bulled up for a Royal duty 30926 is showing signs of road dirt. On shed at 82G.
  7. I used compasses running along the edge of boiler band, the point of the compasses replaced with a short length of 1mm brass wire. The wire follows the edge while the nib puts down a line at a set distance from it. It’s not an easy technique and the band needs to have a good clean edge. It works better if the boiler (and handrails) can be removed. I use the same method to line valance edges, wheels and buffer beams. Ian R
  8. It was the only card loco I have painted. It came to me already painted so had been around for a bit. It needed lots of tlc but, of course, I couldn’t strip it, so lots of very gentle rubbing down was called for. As I recall its bodywork was very rigid so it had been built by someone who knew what they were doing but as it was ready painted I don’t know what pretreatment it had received in the way of shellac or primers. The splashers should have polished brass beading, something else that can’t be done in card, not on this engine anyway. A proper engine - again 7mm scale but live ste
  9. An interesting L & Y High Flyer, 7mm scale built entirely from card apart from mechanical parts and a few castings. (Builder not known). I think the tiny tender looks silly. Ian R
  10. Here’s a more workaday Z - On the topic of Thompson and the Great Northern rebuild, this is one I painted some years ago, I think Mike Edge built it. This is how it was originally turned out in dark blue , more GE than GN. I heard tales that there were plans to rebuild it to an A3 on Thompson’s departure but that was probably apocryphal. Re ‘Glastonbury Abbey’, on looking through my old spotting books a couple of years ago I found that I had actually cabbed the loco on a school trip to Stafford Road shed. Coming from murkier parts I had
  11. Talking of RODs, here’s one I painted fairly recently. Completely black all over, as sent to France, even with French style buffers. The only colour is the dirty pine floor of the cab. 7mm model built by Mike Edge. Ian R
  12. Here’s another Paddlebox photo. Nine survived into BR days but only three were renumbered, 30446, 47 & 61. This is 30461 in an early BR livery with ‘British Railways’ in the Southern ‘sunshine’ letters. The H, R, S & T were transfers from the word ‘SOUTHERN’ while the remaining letters were hand painted to match. The BR number was on the front buffer beam and also on the back of the tender. This is Eastleigh, 19/8/50. The loco was withdrawn in 5/51.
  13. Tony, it’s not the building, it’s the painting. Regards Ian
  14. Surely a Jinty wouldn’t have both the LMS cartouche and the coat of arms. I would remove the coat of arms before anyone sees it... Thank you for the Gresley photos. Regards Ian R
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.