Jump to content

Pikey

Members
  • Content Count

    231
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

547 Good

3 Followers

Profile Information

  • Location
    Cheltenham

Recent Profile Visitors

1,729 profile views
  1. The axles they come with tend to be far too short for 1:76 wheels, especially bus and lorry wheels. I have found that 1mm pins intended for circuit board use (I think) are suitable longer alternatives, and I just drill a 1mm hole in the model's wheels, insert the axle so there is a tiny amount of free play, and add a tiny drop of superglue to the outside. You can see this from the outside, but I am happy with this small visual intrusion because of the amount of work it saves doing it the correct way (ie your way). This has worked very well for the 20+ models I've converted thus far.
  2. Excellent work making the front axle! You can buy plastic ones at whatever width you specify from KKPMO, if you fancy doing it the 'easy' way. They're not without issues, but it saves making the whole thing from scratch https://shop.kkpmo.com/product_info.php?info=p927_steering-kit-a-in-small-0-5mm-steps-milled-1-87-or-smaller.html
  3. Yes, its three LEDS in the beacon, which are operated in sequence by a tiny chip.
  4. I've only found suppliers in Holland for the rotating LED beacons so far, and they're not cheap - the beacon and the chip to control it I think came to about £25 including postage (!) but they do look very good.
  5. Still not got around to the actual crane - its all prepared, just need to find the time to do it. In the meantime, I fitted a 'rotating' beacon to the Green Goddess I did earlier:
  6. My second HIAB crane lorry is driving and steering, with emergency beacons, test video below. This is the same chassis that my yellow one is based on, a Cararama Mercedes box lorry with the back chopped off. Pleasingly, the inside of the box is detailed with a slatted base which looks great as a flatbed by simply painting it brown, and it covers a slim 350mAh battery which I think is a better way of doing it than disguising a battery as a tarped load on the bed. The last part to do is the crane itself, you can see the white blue and green pairs of wires sticking out ready for connection to the
  7. Here's a quick video of a Green Goddess I did just before Christmas:
  8. Still nothing to report, mainly due to the fact that my garage is the same temperature as outside (due to zero insulation and an inadequate heater), so when its as cold as it has been recently, I just dont go in there. I've got another crane lorry that I'm working on at the moment, which I'll post pictures of when I've made some decent progress
  9. I think the ones I've seen on Youtube from Germany are controlled like that, but I cant for the life of me see how there's room for 3 of them - one to control the steering and another two to control the arm and bucket! The next pair of loader and logger are finished and in the hands of their delighted new owner You might just be able to see I did manage to cram the driver figure back in the cockpit, although he's a lot further forward than he should be. The logger is loads of fun I seemed to be pretty rubbish at driving it, hopefully new owne
  10. Realised I havent updated this thread for ages! I now have the first loader working and it will be off to its new owner very soon: I had to use the next size up servo, 2.2g, as the smallest one that I use for everything else just wasnt powerful enough to move the steering. So any hope of retaining the driver figure / cab detail went out of the window - the cab is now full of servo and wires, in fact the wires are bursting out of the window a little bit as well. I crammed it as hard as I dared, but there just isnt quite enough room in the engine compartment!
  11. I've not long received mine, and I have to say its really good - quite a lot better than the Carson VW offering, and I think a lot of that is down to the controller - these have a small trigger style controller much like the type you'd expect for a bigger RC car, with both trim and range control for steering and throttle channels, plus a button for a third channel (which is spare on the mini) They cost around the same as the Carson VWs, once you've paid for shipping and VAT / customs charges, and they both look better (being the right scale) and drive better too.
  12. The parcel finally arrived at the weekend Progress pictures on loader #1, I'm about 4 or 5 hours in so far (including thinking time - the other three vehicles will be much faster as I know what I'm doing now): Make hole for motor/gearbox, also drill holes for micro switch and charging socket I think the servo is going to sit approximately here, I want to get it as low down as I can because I want to retain the driver figure if possible: Make space for battery and receiver in the engine bay. I'm actually going to u
  13. So in actual fact the parcel had the wrong address on it - so it made it all the way from Germany to within about 100 yards of my house, before being returned back to Germany!
  14. Haven't got a lot to show here for the moment, but I have picked up a few commissions - to do three near identical loaders (so I'm going to make a fourth one for myself at the same time) and a crane lorry But my order from Germany has been delayed - on the UK side (obviously) so I haven't done much other than cut holes for the motors so far. Hopefully my motors and servos will arrive soon and I can show some progress.
×
×
  • Create New...