Having just moved back to the UK from Canada and loosing an entire basement to play trains in, I have been doing some pondering for a small layout over here.
I have acquired planning permission for a layout to go in the living room.. 7' x 2' to fit against a wall. "Must look nice and not be left as a work in progress for long periods" is the main constraint to the permissions.
Whilst in Canada, I was continuing to collect stock and have a huge and eclectic variety of UK N gauge stock from almost all periods, all of which are fitted with DCC chips. The locos came back with me from Canada to the UK and I would like to use as many as possible over the course of time..
So what am I looking for...
1) Watch the trains go by... I have all the electronics and systems to be able to plug this layout into RR&Co and let it run to a sequence (completely overkill at this size, but I have it so will use it)
2) Manual operation.. not that concerned.
3) Because of the eclectic stock, the layout will be setin current timeframe as a preserved railway.. mostly steam operated but with occaisional diesel days.
4) Loco + 5 coaches to be capable of being held in FY and in platforms.
5) Small but nicely made layout, probably using a fair amount of RTP buildings etc to get the layout completed to a "nice" standard.. well the best I can do anyway.
6) Absolutely must fit in 7x2 hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe 7x2'1" may not get noticed
7) Needs to be on two boards so that should we move again, it can be got out of a 15th century cottage
8) DCC and interfaced to RR&Co.
So am looking for advice and validation of what I think is going to work in the space.
This is the trackplan I have come up with... (and yes it's 7' x 2'1" to give me just a tad more space (don't tell SWMBO) and it is in 2 halves.. both 3'6 x 2'1.
Theres a few premisies here... Fiddle yard has 2 roads that will take a loco + 5, and the platforms fit that as well (just) and three more F/Y roads for slightly shorter trains.
Track 6 in the yard to be kept clear as it is really the access to the 4 short roads for the little branch line.. those from A operating out and back and those from B pulling into track 6, reversing and the returning the same way.
C is a modern shed, like the peco diesel shed with work going on around locos..
Behind the station, is a storage track and then a line with the old buildings on for stock to stand
For scenery, I envision the yard area and shed area being acessed by a road crossing the main line at D on a level crossing and then rising across the back to the exit at C being a Bridge over the line with a few buildings along that road. The basic infrastructure will be ex-GWR.. think a little bit like Churston, but smaller.
The track uses 2nd radius on the end curves, but all other trackwork is Peco code 55 with medium radius pointwork, 1 curved point and one Double Slip.
Anyway.. looking for your feedback or ideas that could improve or mostly "ermmmm that won't work" type issues.
Thanks for looking