Jump to content

Henry 84F

Members
  • Content Count

    41
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

78 Neutral

Recent Profile Visitors

215 profile views
  1. Rob, Nice photo. The Princess Royal is a fantastic model. I recommend everyone gets one! Your photo emphasises my favourite Hornby bugbear: those bright silver wheel rims! A steady drop of satin black around the wheel edges really sets the model off. Henry
  2. I'm afraid I've tried all sorts of wiggling combinations but to not avail. What the picture doesn't show is how tightly wrapped the wiring is. There is very little play in it and those pins on the blanking plate need more clearance to be set free. Thanks for the suggestion and response.
  3. I'm afraid I've tried all sorts of wiggling combinations but to not avail. What the picture doesn't show is how tightly wrapped the wiring is. There is very little play in it and those pins on the blanking plate need more clearance to be set free. Thanks for the suggestion and response.
  4. Not confidently! I've had many a bad experience with the soldered joints of Hornby's wiring. The orange wire in particular is well and truly wrapped into a tight spot. I've reassembled and left it for tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.
  5. The wires are knotted above the blanking plate and even when gently shuffled around, there is no clear way of getting the blanking plate out. I keep referring to the model's paperwork and it is definitely the blanking plate confined underneath this wiring. The more I look at it, the more I am convinced it is not right at all. Frustrating!
  6. Evening all, Apologies if this has been covered. I'm getting around to DCC fitting my Prairie. This is what I find under the body: the blanking plate tucked underneath the wires that feed the motor. To remove the blanking plate would risk prising these wires from the PCB underneath. Am I being daft? Is there a simpler way? Thanks, Henry
  7. Just a few more images to keep the thread focused. The prairie has had a pretty thorough play on my temporary oval while I am 'between layouts'. It runs really well both forwards and backwards and hauled six carriages happily in both directions. It's light and maybe a little lighter than I expected. I don't have an exact weight for you however I don't think its weight is a detriment to its performance. Alongside an older Bachmann Fairburn, however, I thought there was a noticeable difference in weight (I appreciate that the Fairburn is larger!) All detail i
  8. Slow running on DC very good. I had it hauling a six carriage train - three Hornby Colletts and three Hornby Staniers - on a simple oval with no noticeable strain. Henry
  9. The parcel that has been sat patiently all day has been opened. The prairie is really good so far. Currently running in but seems to be a smooth runner. Detail very fine and no wobbles in the running plate. I'm very happy with it and hope - touch wood - to stay that way. Henry More images on my Twitter - @KitchenTrains
  10. Apologies if already noted but there are some updated images on the product page now of what looks to be a final sample: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-class-61xx-large-prairie-2-6-2t-6145-era-4.html Looking very good. Captures the look of the Large Prairie very well in my opinion. Due in the next few days according to Twitter. Henry
  11. Hi, Records suggest that blood and custard DID look nice behind it: With ex-LMS stock here: https://railphotoprints.uk/p717500529/e21dcc841 And what must have been brand-new mark ones here: https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p483725128/e4484c21 The latter source suggesting that 46201 stayed in lined black until the end of 1951 but with the 6201 society themselves suggesting that it stayed in black until April the following year (which I suppose might have been the end of the heavy general overhaul). Henry
  12. Be my guest. Thanks, Henry
  13. It's a very subjective matter and a debate that will last for as long as there are people to debate it. The model of the A4 is very sensitive to light - moreso than standard blue or green - with the hue changing under different conditions. A while ago, I painted a King into what I thought was a good rendition of the livery (although it's now being primed for a repaint into green). The attached photo demonstrates how that colour changed quite drastically with the light too.
  14. Hi - I found the boiler nameplate fairly easy to remove using some thin-nosed pliers although the nameplate was unrecoverable afterwards due to snapping as it was eased off. If I remember correctly, the nameplate was fixed to the body by only two points so the blemish to the bodywork after removal was minimal and easy to conceal by a new nameplate. All the best and stay safe, Henry
  15. Hi again all, I don't think a new body is the way forward (although I'll keep an open mind): the metal chassis/frames are not bent - purely the front portion of the running plate. I'm hoping to have a good look in today's natural daylight to see if I can find a way forward. Thanks, Henry
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.