Jump to content

Magdalen Bridge

Members
  • Content Count

    12
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

32 Neutral

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Magdalen Bridge

    ...bridging the gap

    Thanks Kit PW. That is a really useful tip.
  2. Magdalen Bridge

    ...bridging the gap

    What beautiful workmanship! May I ask, what material do you press the rivets from? They look like a cheaper substitute to the rivet transfer sheets...
  3. yes, I had noticed that the painted numbers always look to have grease boxes in the photos. Good job I have a a stash on order from MJT.
  4. To print on tissue paper, I taped it to normal paper: This seems to have worked, and with a varnish, it is not too bad. I am hoping that it can then be set into shape by misting a glue solution over it.
  5. That is wonderfully useful to know. My copy of Atkins et al arrived a few days ago, so I will do some digging. In the meantime, I will try to track down some more Cooper Craft kits. If I have understood correctly, 71460 of Lot 220 could arguably have oil axleboxes, and yet have painted numbers? I ask because I prefer the painted numbers to plates; I find the plates quite boring.
  6. Thanks all! my N8 Horsebox kit arrived today, wrapped in white tissue paper. This looks ideal for printing tarpaulins on. Forgive my ignorance, but are the numbers on the tarpaulin independent from that of the wagon? That is, would wagon 65815, for example, have a tarpaulin with the same number on it?
  7. Hi Mikkel, thanks for that very helpful tip. I will give that a go this evening. I have been building the 4-plankers as practice, so tips like that are excellent. When I am confident enough, I have some back-dated 6 wheel siphons that need their transfers; a task I am dreading. In the meantime, heavy weathering of the wonky opens should disguise the worst slips.
  8. Now that is a good idea! Thanks for the tip; and what a marvelous tarpaulin template.
  9. As an experiment, I thought I would try to convert a Cooper Craft 4-planker into a Lot 441 4-planker, of 1888 vintage. First, it needed grease boxes... This evening's task was to sort the transfers. To try and keep things central, I worked in from either edge... With mixed successes. Naturally, I blame the age of the transfers... But I had a model with oil boxes in need of transfers, and no idea of what number to use... until I found a cheat... This photo of Calne station, probably c.1903 (Open source, from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Calne_station_(46631306172).jpg). The conveniently placed log meant I was free to assume 65815 had oil boxes... And before long, things started to stack up... Things are a bit wonky, and components remain to be added, but as a first go with transfers, I can live with the errors. A modeler's licence, and all that...
  10. Yes indeedy. Tomorrow's task is to work out what is the best household material to make tarpaulins from!
  11. It is a marvelous colour; though I am still experimenting with the shade, as well as which parts of the wagon to apply it to. I can't help but feel it should be on the frames and w-irons too. I'm glad to hear it looks good on an iron mink... I have a few ABS kits waiting in the wings... Hi Mikkel, I can live with the 3 1/2 plank, especially when loaded. I bought a job lot of old kits cheaply as something to practice on, so each wagon is receiving a different type of glue, primer and finish to see what works best. I figured they would make a good starting point. So far Autotek acrylic spray primer is looking promising; it takes brush painted Vallejo very nicely. As for period, I agree! I've always liked the Edwardian and the GWR, but it wasn't until seeing Farthing's The Bay while still at school that I was hooked by the glorious liveries.
  12. Side on, the Cooper Craft kit looked all right (apart from the poor paint job)... But inside, a plank had vanished! The problem is excess molding on the solebar, combined with a thick floor. Sally the horse was all for making a new floor, but that sounded too much like hard work... so instead I filed the solebar. Sally was not impressed... This resulted in a 3 1/2 plank wagon... ... which is awaiting its transfers. Meanwhile, the backlog mounts... And looks like the diagram of the Evolution of Man.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.