Jump to content

Dave Holt

Members
  • Content Count

    1,029
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

971 Good

1 Follower

Profile Information

  • Location
    Warwickshire
  • Interests
    Blues music, cricket, steam, narrow gauge railways (Wales & France), modified Bulleid pacifics, cotton mills, real ale.........

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Since the previous post, the brake gear, under cab pipework and the basic footplate have been assembled and temporarily assembled, as shown in the last photo. This is the current state of play. Pipework underneath the cab - complete except the injector overflows. Chassis and footplate assembled. Dave.
  2. Couldn't agree more with Simond. A most incredible model which I look forward to to watching further postings. Dave.
  3. Coming along very nicely John. You could probably go a bit heavier with the weathering. My recollection of such glazed areas in steam days was that the glass was completely opaque. Are the other platforms due to have canopies eventually? Will make judging the position of the uncoupling magnets rather more interesting - unless you have CCTV looking down? Dave.
  4. Previously posted as a future project, this has turned into the current project. Quite a bit of progress has been made with the chassis which now has the wheel sets in. Still rather a lot to do, but it is coming along. Here are some views of the frames with the wheel sets, including the inside crank. Dave.
  5. David. Interesting and unusual wagon loads, indeed. In my view (I was a professional pressure vessel engineer for most of my career) the cylindrical tank would have been a very low pressure or atmospheric storage tank for some liquid or other. The pressed ends are too flat a profile for any significant internal pressure. Your model look fine. Dave.
  6. David, The crank axle components are made but I haven't built up the courage to try silver soldering them together, yet. Loose assembly is seen here: The wheels are Alan Gibson. I've had the front face of the rim skimmed to give scale width and also the front face of the boss has been machined to give scale stand-out from the rim (and shortened axles, of course). Hopefully, these mods will give a bit more clearance for valve gear and inside the splashers. I might still move the latter out a bit, just to be sure. Dave.
  7. Having run out of steam getting the Black 5 chassis painted and not sure how to proceed with the Ivatt tank, I thought I might do some planning (scheming) and some preliminary work on a future project - a Brassmasters Re-built Royal Scot. To add interest and a bit of a challenge, I decided to fit the model with working inside valve gear. The kit provides most of the prototypical frame stretchers but makes no provision for the inside cylinder or valve gear. My representation is not going to be exactly to scale but should be a fair representation using as many spare etched and other parts f
  8. Thanks for the comments. I'm sure David will do a good job of painting, lining and, crucially, weathering. Dave.
  9. After contemplating sprung intermediate buffer, due to practical considerations, an executive decision was made - fixed W/M buffers! The tender is now complete and has temporarily been connected to the loco. The latter has had some fine strips added to the rear edge of the fall plates, to bridge the gap to the tender. Still got to fit locating pins to the loco number and shed plates but, otherwise, I think it's finished ready for painting. Here is the finished loco, face to face with a later class mate. Dave.
  10. Another very nice looking loco to join your stud, John. Look forward to seeing it weathered. Dave.
  11. Robin, You must have put the bits back on to good effect - it's running very nicely. An enthusiasts special or football supporters train, perhaps? Dave.
  12. All looking very nice, David. You've got the Bradwell chassis B1 running very smoothly and with good track holding. It's a very complicated chassis though a well designed and produced kit. You must be rightly very pleased with the resultant model. I've got one to do sometime. I wonder if it will run as well as yours? Dave.
  13. The tender has now acquired four sets of steps and all the springs and axleboxes and is beginning to look the part. Intermediate buffers and hoses still to do. Buffer heads will be fitted after painting. Dave.
  14. Very nicely done, Robin. Looks as if you will need to add quite a bit of random debris on the roof. Also, one minor point. I see from the first photo that the structure was actually built with a Jubilee behind it, not a Black Five. I'm sue you'll be able to fix that before final installation. Dave.
  15. Not much progress, but the loco and tender are now connected. The loco and tender kits are from different periods of design and manufacture and the adjustable draw bar supplied with the loco is far too long for the later tender. The fault really lies with the tender because the draw bar pivot is far too close to the buffer beam whereas the earlier tenders were about scale in this respect. The more recent tender is not easily modified to correct this aspect, so the only solution was to make a hybrid draw bar using the etched bar at the loco end and a new part, incorporating a formed eye, made f
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.