Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

813 Good

Profile Information

  • Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
  • Interests
    Cromford & High Peak Railway (P4)
    Danish railways (P87)

Recent Profile Visitors

622 profile views
  1. I think etched it probably will be, but from my previous experience, the gestation period for such things can be quite long, including one or two test etch iterations courtesy of my good friends at PPD. First step is probably to get some design tips from other experts, starting with the acquisition of a couple of Justin Newitt's well respected creations. The Grampus detailing kit is probably the first port of call! Don't wait up for further progress on the Gannet, but I'll keep you posted! Geraint
  2. Jonathan, I've never found a photo of a bus on this service. Do you know of any? Best wishes for your hospital visit this week. Geraint
  3. Just going with the OS spelling Al - safest in the circumstances! Geraint
  4. OK, I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I mentioned the Youlgreave Road bridge in the last post. A few minutes on Google Earth produced a fairly square-on view of the north side abutment, which was then scaled up on TurboCAD, printed and stuck to a piece of foam board. A useful check on clearances and yes, the North Western single decker has strayed somewhat from the Manchester - Buxton route, but will be redirected with a change of destination blind in due course! However, you get the picture....
  5. A bit more progress today with the installation of the fourth baseboard that takes the tracks up to the Youlgreave Road bridge. This has really tested the design and assembly of the laser cut baseboards, with the long joint to board 3 proving to be the hardest to get right. The back siding serving the loading dock is now finished, complete with a Midland / LMS buffer stop from Lanarkshire Models. I cut the running rails away from the castings and Araldited the remainder to a short section of code 75 bullhead rail. Electrical isolation is provided by the Exactoscale pla
  6. A bit of a plea for assistance this time. Trawling through the mass of CHP photographs that I have in my collection (over 1500 at the last count), I have been noticing the prevalence of certain types of wagon in the daily freight working from Middleton Top to Friden. If we look at the 1960s, it seems that much of the output from the Prestwich Intake Quarry was carried in Gannet wagons (ex-LMS D1804 25T Ballast Hoppers). Source - GH collection, original photographer unknown There's a drawing from the diagram book in Essery's LMS Wagons Vol 1, but I'm af
  7. Jay, Sorry, the items concerned are in the loft and a bit inaccessible at the moment! It was a standard K&S brass tube. The wheels are 6mm in diameter and the axle sits in bearings soldered in to the top of the tube, with a small amount filed of the other two faces to give clearance for the wheels. On that basis I reckon the external dimension was 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Geraint
  8. Jay, When it comes to incline rollers, I used N gauge wagon wheels mounted face to face on a short 1mm diameter axle, which was then inserted into a 'box' cut from square section brass tube. They ran well on Middlepeak for nearly 20 years! Geraint
  9. Some progress to report at Friden, with the first baseboard now looking a bit more like a railway. You will recall that this is the eastern entrance to the yard, which also serves as a scenic fiddle yard with a removable cassette. With the side and end profiles of the board fitted and painted, the two anchor screws for the cassette were installed and a start was made on the landforms either side of the railway. This is my first effort with styrofoam or 'blue foam', which in this case is actually black. Pre-shaped layers were stuck down with No More Nails,
  10. Jay, I also ordered a p4 set of wheels from Precision for my second NLT, which have now arrived. First job will be to set them up on a mandrel to see how concentric they are, as a friend of mine had some problems with wheels from the same source fitted to a GE 0-6-0. When fitting them, best to file a slight chamfer on the end of the axle and do the same to the back of the wheel centre using a large diameter drill. This helps to set up the wheel square on the axle and reduce wobble. Regards, G
  11. Very little about trains in this post I'm afraid, but at a time when I'm beginning to think more about the landscape around Friden and on the layout, along comes an old friend and former Buxton resident with a recommendation for some bedtime reading. This is very much a geographer's book, written by a professional archaeologist with long standing links to the Peak District National Park. What you get is a very authoritative but well written book, with a huge number of photos and maps to illustrate the subject. I'm barely a quarter of the way through the 200 plus pages,
  12. Wow! £80+ on wheels for an 0-6-0! Hope they work OK for you. At that price I'll probably stick to the tender wheels plus etched crankpin bosses. Geraint
  13. Jay, Be careful here, because the only NLT to carry H spoke driving wheels on the High Peak was 58850, and then only on the front and centre axles, as the following picture shows. When I first built my NLT, Sharman's wheels were available and he produced exactly the right one for the loco. Sadly, Gibson doesn't. The nearest size is a 4'3" wheel, of which there are two types, but neither has the correct number of spokes. For my second NLT, which is still in the 'to do' cupboard, I've therefore bought some of his 4'3" 12-spoke tender wheels, which
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.