Its been a while since posting anything of any substance on here, in a way that is good as its a testament to how well The Little Layout Company is performing. I only ever build layouts for myself when its for our trade stand. But on visit to Tim Horns place i picked up a small 2.6 x 1 feet photo scenic board.As usual my mind started thinking what can i build and once i had the board home i thought that its time to go back to basics, where the little layout company started, with small micro boards, minimal track and lots of detail. It wasnt long before i had a few lengths of peco bullhead and a point on the board, wired for dcc and a cobalt digital motor running the point.
The next phase was what do i do next, how will the scenics work and how can i get a few elements of industry, greenery and detail into this small space.
A rummage through a few boxes ( as a businesss building layouts i have a lot of odds n sods boxes ) I found a Bachmann building a scalescenes half printed kit, a model railway scenery wall kit and a few chunks of rubberised horse hair.
The backscene was an off cut from a job so that went in straight away. At this stage i was only a few hours into the build and it felt great being back on the micro layout builds again so i cracked on. sleeper grime was aerosoled on the track work and while drying i made up the wall kit. I want this to stand proud of the backscene to give it depth and a slight angle so this was packed out with 1" of foam. then i had the thoughts of what to do with the gap on the top. Rubberized horse hair, of course, brambles.
A bit more rummaging found the right shades to match the backscene trees and foilage.
using peco layering spray i added different colours and statics to build up the foliage on the horse hair and then they were stuck in place.
Once the sleeper grime track base coat was dry i used dcc concepts fine N ballast just lightly ballasted in and then the usual pva mix to seal, once dry the track was weathered with an airbrush using railmatch roof dirt and weathered black then the chairs brushed with dark rust.#
the foreground scenics were an easy job, sleeper grime base coat with fine silver sand sprinkled on then repeat a few times until you have a noce uneven gravel and mud base. deluxe materials aqua solution was used for the puddles.
I used a Chris Nevard technique using das clay and stippling it into the ballast and track for the covered areas in front of the gates.
Lots of barrels and pallets and odd junk help to make the scene.
Im pretty pleased for around 10 hours work.