Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,604 Excellent

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Guy, I have managed to scan my photos taken, according to my notes on the back of the prints, in 1987. There are around 60 in total taken during 5 or 6 visits when I was working in the area. I'll post a few at a time so as not to overload your thread. The first were taken on the 14th April 1987. The first two are at Murder Coombe whilst the remaining four show the shed and track under construction from the road over bridge. Robin
  2. Hi Guy, What a superb piece of modelling! It sent me searching for photos I took around the same period of your model. I have a number taken from that bridge and also during several visits to Murder Combe of the tunnel and track layout including the ARC sentinel and Class 56s. When I can get access to the scanner [ my wife is using it rather a lot] I will post some on here. Robin
  3. As the exhibitor of two of the layouts on the virtual scaleforum I am fortunate enough to have the space to have Bristol Barrow Road permanently erected at my home. I also had enough space to erect and film my other layout , Sheep Pasture, in the same building albeit using the camera on my mobile phone. I am also a member of our local area group and am involved with the group layout Brinkley. This layout was invited to Scaleforum this year and was also asked if we were able to participate in the virtual version of the show. We had to decline as we would have needed to erect the layout in
  4. As one of the people involved with setting up Avonside Works I have to agree with Tim. I had a HH jig and thought soldering on the flat was preferable to the vertical. This was one of the main features when designing the Avonside Chassis 2 Jig. Robin
  5. Paul, I checked the comprehensive data that Patrick sent me and have identified 46220 Coronation visiting Bristol on Thursday 7th Feb 1963 with the 1V86 0.45 ex Manchester which arrived at Bristol TM at 6.30am. As mentioned I believe it was serviced at the Marsh but I've not found evidence of the return diagram. I'd be interested if you find anything
  6. A possibility. A Duchess did pay a visit to Bristol, I think on a special, but went to St Philips Marsh shed for servicing. I need to check my records.
  7. Earlier this year I came into possession of a Proscale Princess which was originally built by Alan Sibley. The model,46200 Princess Royal, was DC with a Portescap motor and I have converted it to DCC for use on Barrow Road - not strictly prototypical but I like the model. Alan obviously was sparing in his use of solder to assemble the kit as I had to re-attach a lot of small parts which fell off when I breathed on them!!! Hope you like the video 46200 Princess Royal
  8. Further work on the buildings continues with the 'new' sand dryer building, which from aerial photos in my my possession was built in the late 1940s . I found a stock of old Formcraft bricks which I decided to use to build the front with it's pillars and use slaters english bond sheet for the remainder. On reflection this was probably not my best idea as it took rather longer to build than anticipated. My first attempt at adding 'sand' by using talc did not convince so I raided that grand daughters
  9. David, I used to like loco kit construction - I must have done 40/50 over the years - but with the vast improvement in RTR models in the past 15 years I have chosen to convert to P4 and add detail, life's too short. Providing track is laid well P4 converted models will run well without the need to introduce compensation as do 2 axle wagons. If you want a large layout with a lot of stock it's the way to go. That said I really like your kit built locos and your latest Black 5 is in a class of it's own. Keep up the good work. Robi
  10. I have now completed my second Patriot conversion to P4. This loco belongs to a friend who asked me to do the conversion for him. The decoder arrived this morning, now fitted for it's first run on DCC. Here is the youtube video link. 45504 Royal Signals passing Bristol Barrow Road Shed 4 Jubilees and 2 Patriots outside the roundhouse.
  11. Jay, Here are some photos I took for an MRJ article on Sheep Pasture Top. I have used the same operating arrangement as Geraint for the scotch blocks on the top of the incline. The vertical pulley wheels were 'borrowed from my sons Lego. Incline Fiddle Yard with wagon on down line. Operation of the incline is by rotation of the black pulley wheel using fingers or 'digital' operation. Top of incline showing vertical pulley wheels [ Lego]. The Up scotch block is visible on the right Geraint's design for operating scotch blocks. Cranked brass tube s
  12. David, thank you for your kind comments. I am in the process of upgrading the Bachmann ash plant as the lifting mechanism supplied is plastic and rather fragile. Brass replacement pending. The other ladders are overscale ie 1foot 6in gap between steps.
  13. Nice photos Tim and good to see Paul H is living up to his reputation for appearing everywhere:-) Robin
  14. I remember it well Geraint - bird poo on the layout covering sheets first thing in the morning. Friden boards looking good. Robin
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.