Jump to content

Chris Chewter

Members
  • Content Count

    792
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chris Chewter

  1. Automatic uncoupling attempt 2 - Neodymium magnets. Whilst having a rummage in my model box, turned out that I had already purchased 25 small neodymium magnets to hide between the sleepers, ordered from spider magnets on eBay. I’ve dotted a line of them to accommodate different length of coaches but no matter how I tried to persevere with the staples on the couplings, I couldn’t get it to work reliably. I was about to order a bigger magnet to go under the track, when I tried to fit a magnet mounted on the staple to repel each other. That seemed to work a lot better!
  2. Whilst the ramp does look a bit more inconspicuous once it’s been painted black and weathered, the idea of hidden magnets really does appeal on so many levels. They’ll be significantly quieter for a start, and a lot more unobtrusive. I’ll have to put an order in for a few and give it a go.
  3. It did indeed. I think I disturbed the track by fitting the ramp. I’ll sort that out once I’ve got a solution I’m happy with.
  4. In an attempt to give a more hands free operation, I’ve been thinking about uncoupling locos from the service train to run around and couple onto the other end. Ive been trialling A few ideas, non of which really work satisfactorily at the moment. The first attempt was a Peco uncoupling ramp, which was awkward to install, so it was quickly removed. I’ve moved onto the Gaugemaster GMC-TLU, which sort of works, but is honestly extremely noisy as the video below shows. I’m going to swap the noisy seep electromagnet and fit a servo to
  5. I’ve been giving the manor a bit of running on and off over Christmas, as well as a bit of an oil. The mechanism got stuck earlier today. I put it in reverse, it gave a click, and now is running as good as gold!
  6. Pretty much. It was converted to DCC by its previous owner, but that affected its running ability, so instead it just sits on the shelf, waiting to take the express.
  7. Another nevawazza photo. How about a manor at Tetbury? In reality, Lechlade Manor is a shelf queen, but I decided to redo its weathering and wanted to take a test shot to see if it looked right.
  8. I’ve had another go at 6417 this morning. The weathering just looked too heavy, so it’s had a bit of a buff with some t-cut.
  9. Running video from the other week. Its supposed to represent a typical day, with first train, mid-day passenger with freight, and last train of the day.
  10. One of the problems of modelling a real location is running the same locomotives can get a bit repetitive. Just imagine if Tetbury had been visited by larger locomotives such as the Grange class.
  11. Trying out the weathered Railroad Mk1 coaches for effect, 9759 prepares to depart.
  12. 6417 is in charge of the service train today, as it rounds the corner by the goods shed. Next stop Culkerton. (I've had to photoshop in a sky again for this one, as the backscene isn't high enough)
  13. The pannier bringing the service train back from Kemble. As for the 14xx, I presume its in the shed being attended to by a fitter.
  14. Currently experimenting with focus stacking using iphone images to get the lens closer to the ground, and a spot of image editing. The 14xx has failed and a pannier has been called up from Swindon.
  15. 9759 awaits the guards signal before departing towards Culkerton and Kemble.
  16. Whilst walking the field above the station, a quick look down reveals a pannier in charge of a single coach train today.
  17. A more typical view of a 14xx on shed at Tetbury
  18. Crew and guard take a break from the mid-day shunt.
  19. To test the revised lighting and to see how 6417 looks on camera, I took the opportunity for a spot of silent running on the layout today.
  20. I also moved the lighting last night as per my earlier post. It’ll be interesting to see how that affects the photographs going forwards.
  21. It’s been a voyage of discovery! The Wills instructions don’t even touch details like this so it’s all valuable stuff. However, is it worth my sanity to adjust it? Perhaps a job for a day when I’m feeling very patient!
  22. Ground frames corrected (after a visit to Starbucks to pick up some coffee stirrers) North Station And south (I know South isn’t a precise match against the photo, and the coffee stirrers are a bit thick, but it’s closer than what was there previously!)
  23. I was experimenting with the layout lighting last night. The area above the goods shed is always been a bit gloomy and I think I need to move the lights to the front of the layout, rather than being fitted to the wall behind. This is with the lighting as it is And with the lighting moved to the front. Looks like I better get drilling!
  24. I was a little bit dissatisfied with the weathering of 6417 when I took it down from the shelf yesterday, but it seems to look alright in the photos. However it appears that some of the point rodding is floating, which is a tad irritating. Looks like I need to glue and weigh it down again!
  25. Decided to take a break from the point rodding. Well, I'm a bit stuck until the Wills SS91 ground frame kits turn up, so I decided to do a bit of photography instead. Unfortunately with most of the photos, something was out of focus, but I did manage to get this one which seemed alright.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.