Bachmann's Emily Coaches

I am  aware  that  some  people  have  convereted  LGB rolling  stock  to 32mm gauge  by  simply   removing  the  wheelsets,, then   pulling  the  plastic wheels  and  half  axles  from  the  metal inner axle  and  cutting off an approppriate length of the inner plastic  axle of each wheel to enable  them  to be  gauged to 32mm

A couple  of  photos  attached  to  illustrate  what  i  mean.

You  will have to  be  aware  that  the  flanges are probably quite  big  so there may  be  probs on some 32mm track  but  possible  the    SM 32 or  what ever  it  is  called  these  days  will be  OK

I am assuming  here  that  Bachmann use  their  standard 45mm gauge  wheelsets  for  these  coaches.

You may  get  much more info  on this  and  large  scale in General on www.gscalecentral.co.uk

post-10539-0-15128900-1433704895.jpg

post-10539-0-53944400-1433704904.jpg

Hi Steve. Thanks for that. I was also thinking of maybe converting LGB coaches to run on 32mm so your info is useful. However, although I don't actually have any of the Emily's coaches, I have seen photos of the underside that appear to show that the wheels are metal and they are fixed on metal axles running in outside axle-boxes; whether the axle-ends run in proper bearings or just in the plastic axle-boxes I just don't know. It might be possible to slide the heels in along the axles to give the 28mm back-to-back, or replace the wheel/axle combinations completely with 32mm gauge ones, but I don't know how the metal wheels are fixed to the axles, and it looks like it would need one of the side-frames to be removed to realease the existing set of wheels, and I don't really want to spend the dough buying a coach just to fins out it what I want to do can't be done-you see the problem!.

If  it  is  anything  to  go  by  Bachmann wheels  are  pretty similar  to  LGB  wheels,  as a matter of  interest  I buy  Bachmann or Liliput Metal wheels  sets  to re wheel LGB Plastic  wheeled  rolling  stock  ( Liliput & Bachmann  are the  same  company so the  wheels  are exactly  the  same)

I think you may  find  that some  one  on  GSCALECENTRAL  will have  the  answer  re  the  type of wheel on  the Emily  coach.

• 3 weeks later...

:rtfm: I've been told, by someone very reliable, that the wheels on the Emily coaches are no less than 38mm diameter and I'm pretty sure that nobody makes replacements that big, so I'm no longer going down the Emily route-instead I'm going down the LGB route. Their coaches, particularly the 4-wheeled ones, are in proportion to my Lady Anne, and have that quirky narrow-gauge look about them- there are several different types so I'm making up a rake of what looks like a random selection, just like the "real" narrow gauge!. You can remove the rooves easily to add "passengers" and most of them come with lighting already installed, although this is designed for the LGB standard of 17 volts, so would have to be replaced if you want lighted coaches. Several firms make LED strips powered by 3-volt lithium button cells which would be perfect for the job.

As for changing the wheels, well, after I bought 2 of the coaches I soon discovered a very simple way to convert them to 32mm. The axles just pop out of the frames, then you just pull the wheels off the axle. The wheels are 31mm diameter but the flanges are very deep at 3.5mm and foul the chairs on my Peco SM32 track and cannot be re-used, so I replaced them with Binnie Engineering 8-spoke wheels which are near enough the same at 29mm. Happily the LGB axles are 3mm diameter which is what the Binnie wheels are made for, and as theses only have a flange depth of 1.5mm they are perfect. They are just a push fit onto the original axles then you set them at a back-to-back of 28mm, and the jobs a good un, as they say. If you do this conversion, I would recommend that you put a piece of plastic tubing, or something similar, between the wheel and the axleboxes to reduce the amount of side-play. Incidentally, I don't have a back-to-back gauge but used my digital micrometer instead-if you don't have one of these I would highly recommend getting one as you can use them for all sorts of things; it isn't neccesary to spend a vast amount on a high-spec one, as many are available at reasonable prices.

By the way, Binnie were excellent. I placed my order on-line late on Day one, paid for the wheels on Day two, and they arrived first thing on Day three. I just wish all the suppliers i deal with were as prompt!. :declare:

Interesting  point  you  make  about   suppliers  responding in a timely  manner  and despatching  quickly.

All the   Large  scale  suppliers  EXCEPT ONE have  delivered  my orders  the  next  day in the  last  few  months without  exception

They are  Dragon G Scale,  Glendale  Junction, Garden Railway Centres, And  Arcadiarail in Shaw.

I wont  name  the one  whose  service i found disappointing other  than to say  they are well known on the  Garden Railway  Sector they took  6 days to get a simple  1 item order for some  track to me!

I ordered  early  on June 18th,  it  wasn't  despatched until June 23rd on a 24 hr  service  and arrived with  me on June 24th.

Archived