Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

I've printed brickpaper for the lower sections and the apexed elevations and the top grooved areas will be covered in evergreen v grooved plasticard which will be painted dark brown and washed with thinned black.

Thanks Ian. Millers Dale wasnt so much a proverbial monster but just impractical to build at present with the space I have at home. BoT is more manageable yes. I have also made the boards stackable so fit together to form a small (3ft x 1.5ft x 1ft) box which is easily stored and transported. I am much more confident on getting this one finished in the near future.

........... are they ever finished? - always "evolving" then sometimes the bin through era direction :banghead: 

Just a quick question, probably to Marcus but a question about the Kingsbury tanks circa 1990. Were the tanks grey and were they branded. If so what branding would the teas have been?

Hi Cav

Sorry for the late response, just catching up with everyone's thread. From what I can remember the tanks were either just plan grey or branded with the Tiphook big "R" logo. I can't remember a specific company branding such as "Shell, BP" etc.

I've had a quick look on google and Theresa quite a few pictures of the Kingsbury tanks.

A couple of links here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/12661668635/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53299842@N08/9495503105/

Hope that's of some help mate

Cheers

Marcus

Ok after an impromptu visit to Ikea last night I couldn't finish off the units. So this morning I've taken am hour to finish the perimeter and glued in the gutters inside the roof edges. Next it'll be the roof and then I can make a start on the cladding with plasticard.

post-6894-0-79009100-1442141254_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good It's great what you can do with computers these days wish I knew how to use one lol

Looking forward to how you go about it

Brian

Cheers Brian. Its not something you cant do with pen and paper but as a building designer drawing up elevations like this is bread and butter work for me. You wont see any of the CAD drawing once the buildings finished but its a great guide for construction and laying out the details such as windows and doors. This kind of construction isnt as necessary when making up buildings but when copying a real location you need to do a scale drawing of the buildings that your are going to make.

Those are nice Alex. I have the 60 on the tiphook rail tanks in my favs on flickr, I also have the 31's The other 60 in FINA's on hondawanderer I don't. All interesting. Looks like plain, FINA, Tiphook and Total are all goers judging by the vids and pics.

On the first vid I saw apair of 31's that looked to be on Black tanks, where were they going?

Yes I'm pretty much sure that I will scratch build my rake now. The cost of farish ones is slightlt more and I would have to make them better in any case and repaint them so I may as well build the whole things.

Hadn't thought of the cost to be honest but understand where you are coming from.

How many TEAs are you planning to have? Once the 60s started replacing the older traction the loads started to increase.

You could have one train with a pair of 31s on the front passing a 60 with another rake going in the opposite direction. I like the sound of that!

It'll be one rake for now. 13 long as thats as much as I can get in the fiddle yard with a 60. Two rakes would cool but I'd have to see what space I have. There was a lot of varied stock at Burton!

Ok a bit more research trolling through paul bartletts photo site has revealed type A and type B tanks. Prior to this I assumed type A to be Petroleum and clean stuff and type B to be oil etc. However this clearly isnt the case. What is the significance of the two and what are the Kingsbury tanks? I assumed class A.

Hi Cav,

The Tiphook branded tanks are TIAs, of which I believe there are only 20, so odd ones cropped up in various workings. The shot of 6M57 on Flickr linked to above shows 3 or 4 of them in a rake of 1960s TEAs.

Recently they've come back into use after years in storage, here's a few pics that may help with detailing. https://joalder.smugmug.com/RollingStock/T-TOPS-code/TIA-internationally-egistered-/

I like them as they are distinctive and offer some variety.

jo

Ok a bit more research trolling through paul bartletts photo site has revealed type A and type B tanks. Prior to this I assumed type A to be Petroleum and clean stuff and type B to be oil etc. However this clearly isnt the case. What is the significance of the two and what are the Kingsbury tanks? I assumed class A.

It's not down to the cleanliness of the load, but the flash point; Class A liquids, such as petrol, have a low flash point, and are carried in light-coloured tanks. The light colour absorbs less heat from sunlight, thus the contents stay cooler. Class B tanks carry fluids with higher flash-points, such as fuel oils and bitumen- some are lagged and have heating coils/flame tubes to carry less viscous loads like bitumen and heavy fuel oil. Some loads, such as paraffin and diesel, can be carried in either Class A or B tanks, depending on what's available.

Crude oil, despite its appearance, is classified as Class A, as it contains a wide range of volatiles, and can have a relatively low flash point.

I would imagine that Kingsbury handles a mixture of petrol, diesel and light fuel oils, so both Class A and Class B tanks would be present. The idea of lighter coloured tanks seems to be less common these days, as companies paint their tanks in reds, green and dark blue.

Thanks for the info guys. I am very keen to do the tiphook TIA so I now think that my rake with be 4No TEA tanks with full solebar and ride control bogies, 6No TEA tanks with full solebar and Gloucester GPS bogies and 3 No TIA tanks with Tiphook branding. Not sure on the branding of the others yet. Im going to scratchbuild all of these from aluminium tube plastic section and ATM bogies.

Edited by RBE