Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Yes indeed. Hsts and class 47 on intercity cross country services with 156s and sometimes class 31s or 45s on local passenger services. Then everything from 31s, 37s and 47s to 56s 58s and 60s dealing with freight.

• Like 4

Cav

Had a quick look at the station area on Google Earth.

So far so good - as you mentioned you are basing on late 80's to early 90's  - I noticed the difference in growth of vegetation (trees) in the present day on the station platform ends compared to what you have so far modelled.

How are you going to fill and represent the backscene areas? - quite a challenge as you are modelling the real thing.

Ian

• Like 1

Yes this is how it was in around 1993. Much less tree growth!

post-6894-0-47513300-1493845959_thumb.jpg

The backscene is a problem as I have no pictures showing behind the station in the period modelled and especially one that would be good enough to use as a print at that size. I am airing at the moment to either plain sky or a cut down OO gauge one tucked in behind the low profile 3D stuff to look like housing etc close by behind them. It won't be the actual place but may give an impression of a built up area.

• Like 3

Bit of a teaser with the lift shaft in place and the steel arches started. Still need to add the columns and paint.

attachicon.gif2017-05-04 13.23.30.jpg

Wow I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't real I could still picture myself walking down those steps on spotting nights just utter brilliant.

Steve

Lived in a village just outside then Moved to Stapenhill,Burton on Trent from 1982 till 2006 then moved to Dorset used to live across the road from where the lines went into Drakelow power station used to love hearing the class 20s ticking over sadly no more.

Steve

Ok busy weekend this one so not much modelling time however I did manage to model the bridge columns last night. These are 4mm diameter wooden dowel with the top fluted portion made from milliput. The parts on the arches are offcuts of wooden pencil with the top filled with milliput. The columns are fixed to the baseboard with a central wire and epoxy. The bridge sits on top so as to be removable for track maintenance and in case of derailments.

post-6894-0-74770400-1494144093_thumb.jpg

Looks good in place I think.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 13

Excellent thread, loving both the trackwork and the buildings.

If it's not too much of a diversion: you mentioned way back in the earlier pages that you make your own gauges for n2.  I understood the n2 standards diagram you posted a couple of times but I have no idea how to go about making gauges, would you mind briefly describing your process for that?  I'd really like to give n2 a try but can't without knowing how to make gauges for it first and google wasn't particularly helpful (I suppose it is a fairly obscure subject).

Hi Tim thanks for your kind comments. My gauges are not anywhere near as good as turned ones. If you know someone who has a small accurate lathe then having them turn a couple for you would be best.

However mine are filed from brass strip. I basically took a 9mm wide brass strip and filed it on the outer edge to give an overall width of 8.85mm tested with a 2 decimal place high quality digital caliper. I then filed out a notch in the lower edge leaving two prongs on the outer edges, each exactly 0.8mm wide. This is important as it will set your check rails in relation to the stock rails and the frog rails in relation to the crossing V. If you have built track before its a doddle if not I would still give it a good go as its not a hard as you think. I have a process which I can share if you wish.

The results I think are well worth the effort.

Edited by RBE

That's great, thanks! Sadly I don't know anyone with a lathe but your method sounds like it will do the trick so I'll give it a go. I've built a couple of turnouts before so not worried about that part, just couldn't figure out a reliable method for making the gauges. Thanks again