Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

Thanks for posting that comparison photo. I go to Burton each year for the DEMU showcase but beyond that I am not a regular visitor so that shot really helps us get a sense of the place and illustrates what a great job you have done representing it.

The compression on the building actually works in the layout's favour as it cheats the eye very effectively. Selective compression is one of those things that maybe we should discuss more; is there any theory behind what works and what doesn't?

With the exception of fixed length units I tend to compress everything lengthwise but about 66% - so buildings are the same height and width but about 2/3 the length, and the same with trains - on our club layout what should be a 21 wagon coal train is actually 14 or 15 wagons but doesn't look too bad....

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 4

Thanks Ben, your words are very encouraging. As for compression, yes I have to agree. Trains can look very long in model form if made the correct length. In real life we are used to seeing them in perspective from rail height so never look as long as a model does from above and the side. Compressing the train by 2/3rds as you do gives the train room to breathe I feel.

Of course if the location is compressed too then it makes sense to compress the buildings too. I think the brewery on here is a prime example as the real structure is very long indeed.

Edited by RBE

Couple more pics from the weekends progress.

Starting to address the Moor St bridge and bedded in the Brewery. The building itself is removable as it crosses the board joint.

post-6894-0-54824600-1499685497_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-81146700-1499686599_thumb.jpg

And a cold dawn shot!

post-6894-0-72467900-1499686664_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more pics from this weeks work. Moor st bridge now has an underpass and the security fence is going up in front of the brewery. The bridge will have temporary bollards and a road closed sign to point at the new Shobnal Road bridge being opened. The fencing is my own etch in stainless steel. A bit more detailed than you would ever see I think!!

post-6894-0-67584700-1500408402_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-12072300-1500408446_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Couple more pics from this weeks work. Moor st bridge now has an underpass and the security fence is going up in front of the brewery. The bridge will have temporary bollards and a road closed sign to point at the new Shobnal Road bridge being opened. The fencing is my own etch in stainless steel. A bit more detailed than you would ever see I think!!

attachicon.gif2017-07-18 21.02.30.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-07-18 21.02.48.jpg

Looking excellent buddy. I like the chain link fencing too as it really completes the Brewery scene nicely.

Coming together nicely. Just need a couple of trains posed now and that should set it off nicely!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Early start I see Cav - you off?

Multiple likes -  can already imagine a full rake of loaded MGR HAA powering through  - do you have a list or spreadsheet of your current stock?

Lichfield 16th September sorting for WCML via Crewe and Stafford or Birmingham NS all being well.

Hope things are on schedule.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

No not off. These pics are from last night. I'm not as far along my schedule as I would have liked but getting there. I suspect it will be the stock that suffers.

I don't have a list but I will post one here at lunch time as I'm currently working. I have a fair bit of stock but nothing really fully finished yet.

Early start I see Cav - you off?

Multiple likes -  can already imagine a full rake of loaded MGR HAA powering through  - do you have a list or spreadsheet of your current stock?

Lichfield 16th September sorting for WCML via Crewe and Stafford or Birmingham NS all being well.

Hope things are on schedule.

Ian

Ok Ian this is where I'm at.

Class Number Livery

31 445 BR Blue

37 511 Sector Metals

37 688 Sector Construction

37 681 Red Stripe Railfreight

37 514 Sector Metals

43 082 Intercity Executive

43 106 Intercity Swallow

43 TBC Intercity Swallow

45 110 BR Blue

47 190 Old Railfreight

47 TBC TBC

47 436/5XX Large Logo Blue

47 550 Intercity Mainline

56 010 BR Blue

56 054 Sector Coal

58 037 Red Stripe Railfreight

60 027 Sector Petroleum

156 XXX Regional Railways      

Mk2  CC Set IC & BR Blue

Mk1/2 RR Set IC,BR Blue and RR

Parcels Set BR Blue and Red

HAA 25No red & sector yellow

HEA 15No Bauxite and Railfreight

TTA 3No Black

BBA 10 No Red & Black

Steel Hoods 10 No Blue and Grey

RMC Stone hoppers 15No RMC orange/white

TEA tanks 13No Grey

HST set IC Cement Tanks

15No Grey

Grampus 6No Green & Dutch

VDA vans 3No Speedlink

VEA vans 3No Railfreight

Perch 1No Black & Yellow

I have to bare in mind that I have virtually none of the stock (barring locos) finished at present!

Edited by RBE

Ok Ian this is where I'm at.

Class Number Livery

31 445 BR Blue

37 511 Sector Metals

37 688 Sector Construction

37 681 Red Stripe Railfreight

37 514 Sector Metals

43 082 Intercity Executive

43 106 Intercity Swallow

43 TBC Intercity Swallow

45 110 BR Blue

47 190 Old Railfreight

47 TBC TBC

47 436/5XX Large Logo Blue

47 550 Intercity Mainline

56 010 BR Blue

56 054 Sector Coal

58 037 Red Stripe Railfreight

60 027 Sector Petroleum

156 XXX Regional Railways      

Mk2  CC Set IC & BR Blue

Mk1/2 RR Set IC,BR Blue and RR

Parcels Set BR Blue and Red

HAA 25No red & sector yellow

HEA 15No Bauxite and Railfreight

TTA 3No Black

BBA 10 No Red & Black

Steel Hoods 10 No Blue and Grey

RMC Stone hoppers 15No RMC orange/white

TEA tanks 13No Grey

HST set IC Cement Tanks

15No Grey

Grampus 6No Green & Dutch

VDA vans 3No Speedlink

VEA vans 3No Railfreight

Perch 1No Black & Yellow

I have to bare in mind that I have virtually none of the stock (barring locos) finished at present!

Cav, as Burton on Trent is on the main XC route and used to get to places like York, Scarborough and maybe Edinburgh from Birmingham and the South West, you could also have a railtour set with a loco in original livery, like green late crests at its head.

The layout looks great, any other bookings apart from Lichfield?

• Like 1

Yes I could do that and I would fancy a steam special perhaps. Got to get the core stock done first though.

The layout is also booked for Pontefract at the end of January which should see even more detail added and the stock nearer completion.

Edited by RBE