Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

That's good to hear. It certainly looks if you have been enjoying i so far.

Think it helps modelling a real place or, at least, as in my case, a representation of a real place as you're never short of inspiration. I have had a couple of head scratching moments but a quick look at a couple of photos or Google earth normally manages to solve it.

Yes I agree Marcus. Theres something a bit more engaging about modelling a real location. Fantasy places don't quite seem as fulfilling once you've done one.

Anyway a bit more on the track this afternoon. Just switchblades and check rails to go and the yard is done.the eagle eyed may notice I added a fishplate to the catch point blade. Its really a single rail right from the main line but with the fishplate and a nick of the rail surface and I think it looks pretty good. I accidently nicked the rail to the side of it also which is a shame but in this scale any slight knock can be massive!

post-6894-0-70057300-1437317557_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-95868500-1437317686_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-71964500-1437317701_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-27879900-1437317734_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Guest bri.s

Nice work with the points and catch point cav

,just wondering what gauges you use ,home made ?

Brian

P.s how do you do your V's please

Edited by bri.s

Thanks Brian. I use my own home made gauge to my own N2 standards. I really could do with a roller gauge or two making but I don't have a lathe to do it.

I make the V's in place one rail at a time. The main route is added first and the diverting route added to the side afterwards.

Guest bri.s

Thanks ,I'll have to try that way ,what do you hold the first rail in place with while adding and soldering the second to it ?

Sorry for all the questioning lol

Brian

Guest bri.s

The rail holds itself in place as you are only soldering one sleeper at a time.

Thanks ,I should have realised that lol for some reason I thought you soldered the rail to the rail then both to the sleepers ,(had a dumb moment lol ,it's been a long day lol )

Brian

Cheers Jez. Yeah the look of handbuilt track totally mullers peco and the like.

By soldering the rails seperatetly to the sleepers you can ensure that each angle is perfect every time.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

Really enjoying this thread - thanks for keeping it ticking over.

Having modelled real locations and "fantasy" ones, I think both have advantages and disadvantages.

Real locations have that smack of authenticity, and as all our modelling is, at heart, an attempt to recreate reality then that is a bonus.

However, it can be incredibly frustrating (especially for those of us who are borderline OCD!) when reality has to be tweaked to fit with the space we have, or the operational interest we want. I've always had a grudging admiration for those who can truly stick with the (relatively) limited prototype traffic at a particular location - I'm always tempted to invent reasons to run extra trains...

Fantasy locations often fall into the trap of trying to squeeze in too much but on the other hand it can be very rewarding to start with a blank sheet of paper and manage to create somejng plausible.

Increasingly, I am finding that my ideal solution is to plan or produce models "inspired by" prototype locations but altered as necessary. Though there is still a tendency to try to fit too much in - I have a niggling feeling we have done this with Horseley Fields but hopefully not excessively,

Cheers

Ben A.

I absolutely know what you mean. With Millers Dale I was/am very OCD and am trying to get it near as damn it bang on as I can. The advantage of that layout is that it is both real and fantasy all at the same time and as such has the advantages of both. I'm having to be much less anal about Burton on Trent as I really don't have the space to do it full size and would not fit the brief if I did. I am fully intending to get it a near as possible but trying not to lose sleep over the things that I have to compromise on. The brief states this layout as high quality modelling in a real location that is fun to operate and watch. Hopefully it will come somewhere near the mark!

• Like 2

Cheers Andy. Anyway a little more time invested tonight and all the railwork is done on the points. I still need to do tiebars but that isn't a major job. I also have to do all of the isolating cuts in the copperclads. Pretty happy with these. I've tested a few various items of stock through the checks and all is good with barely a murmer going over the crossing. Just what the doctor ordered. It all could do with a deep clean too as there is a lot of debris and flux dirt/grease on the rails. Still awaiting the copperclad sleepers for the rest of the track but tbh this week is going to be hectic as I have a lot to do in the evenings so will probably be the week after that I get back on with modelling.

post-6894-0-37013900-1437348057_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-60082000-1437348068_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-74516800-1437348080_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Cav,

I agree with the others the trackwork is looking superb it has a real nice flow to it. Looking forwards to seeing that class 47 finished too.

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Guys.

The 47 is almost complete Peter. Just need to get the windows in & snowploughs/nameplates on. Then its a weathering and we are away! The 60 has just been masked up for its executive dark grey roof. Not much longer for that loco either!

• Like 3

Well today I had 3 packages fall through the door. A pack of microswitches, a pack of 1.5mm diameter leds for the signals and a package containing an arduino mega 2560. Just need to brush up on my programming skills now!

Edited by RBE

I'm sure thats possible. This one will be a light weather on the bodywork as the intercity/mainline locos were kept reasonably clean for their passenger duties. The chassis and bufferbeams will get a proper going over though. The main areas on the bodywork will be roof naturally, these were pretty much missed in the washers, and then just false shadow work on the front and sides with a tiny bit of blow up on the sides, although I may forego that if I feel it looks ok without.

Cheers George & Neil, I have to get the nameplates ordered and fabricate some snowploughs before that takes place George. As I used DG couplers I am planning on making some special versions that click into the NEM (as I have previously with my large logo 47) but this time also consist of some brass ploughs soldered to the coupler. That way they can just clip in with the coupler and be changed out if I don't fancy running them on the loco. This will also mean I can add snowploughs at random to other NEM fitted locos.

• Like 2