Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Only kidding buddy. Tbh this plan would be quite doable in OO if you had about 15ft x 7 or 8ft. The point of this build though is to get back on the horse using the stock I have in the space I have. 6ft is doable for me in the house and the boards can be stored on the wardrobe when not in use.

• Like 2

It would be nice in 4mm George but as I say, if I had the room to do it Id have the room to do Millers Dale. Doing this project is hammering home just how big Millers Dale is actually. This is only about a 1/4 the area and it is still the free space on the floor in my dining room.

Anyway as an update I didnt get the chance to build the framework last night. I only had about 30 mins spare before having to go out visiting family so I marked up the pieces to cut. I will be cutting gluing and screwing later on tonight instead.

As for liking yards it not really a yard. Its a station with a small yard beside it. Should make for interesting viewing though I hope with movements into and out of it. Could park up locos there too and certainly track equipment. Having spoken to Marcus who drives this route I am pretty keen to signal this and run lines speeds correctly. I never previously realised the freight loops either side of the station were both restricted to 15mph! That equates to a train taking 2 minutes to travel the 6ft of scenic area in 2mm scale.

• Like 2

I wonder if the speed limit is a legacy of Permissive Block Working? This is the practice where one train would be allowed to proceed, under caution, to the rear of the train in front; it would be used so that several trains could occupy a section of track that would normally take one. I remember, in the late 1960s, seeing freight trains queued like this at various locations until a path was available for them to proceed. The area around Burton, and that north of Derby station, were particularly busy, IIRC, mainly with coal traffic behind pairs of Class 20s. 

I wonder if the speed limit is a legacy of Permissive Block Working? This is the practice where one train would be allowed to proceed, under caution, to the rear of the train in front; it would be used so that several trains could occupy a section of track that would normally take one. I remember, in the late 1960s, seeing freight trains queued like this at various locations until a path was available for them to proceed. The area around Burton, and that north of Derby station, were particularly busy, IIRC, mainly with coal traffic behind pairs of Class 20s.

You're quite right Fat Controller, the goods loops at Burton are fully permissive. Although you can be signalled normally, each stop signal has an associated position light with it so you can go up behind another train. Along the loop there are 4 stop signals as the loops finish at Clay Mills level crossing. However as its freight only the loops are not equipped with AWS. Cav, take note, no magnets on the goods lines mate.

I have actually crept up behind a 67 and a couple of wagons under permissive working on the up loop much to the DBS drivers surprise. Not the fact I was there but what I was driving.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

As for liking yards it not really a yard. Its a station with a small yard beside it. Should make for interesting viewing though I hope with movements into and out of it. Could park up locos there too and certainly track equipment.

still sounds great to me! :sungum:

Good good. Well tonight as we went out for a family meal I lost the light on woodworking, grr. Anyway instead Ive printed templots for the pointwork so that I can start trackbuilding as soon as the boards are done. There are only 7 points on the whole layout so should be done in no time. I could probably get em done in a night if I dug in! I'll bet on about 3 nights tbh!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You're quite right Fat Controller, the goods loops at Burton are fully permissive. Although you can be signalled normally, each stop signal has an associated position light with it so you can go up behind another train. Along the loop there are 4 stop signals as the loops finish at Clay Mills level crossing. However as its freight only the loops are not equipped with AWS. Cav, take note, no magnets on the goods lines mate.

I have actually crept up behind a 67 and a couple of wagons under permissive working on the up loop much to the DBS drivers surprise. Not the fact I was there but what I was driving.

Cheers

Marcus

May I ask what you were driving to have given the DBS driver the shock?

Cheers

Marcus

I'll refrain from magnets as you suggest. Would it have been like that circa 1990 though?

Well that suits me then. I notice that the main line signal also has a position light as well as a position 1 and 2 route indicator. When would the PL be lit on that one?

Well that suits me then. I notice that the main line signal also has a position light as well as a position 1 and 2 route indicator. When would the PL be lit on that one?

I take it you mean the signal on the Gantry at the Birmingham end of the platform.

Position One = Goods loop

Position Two = Coalville Branch

P.L.S = Goods loop (line already occupied)

Ah thats what I assumed. Excellent. Of course in reality I wont have a goods loop, it will be imaginary off scene but it will go a long way to informing viewers where the trains are going once they leave the scenic section. The illusion of the big world so to speak.

• Like 1

So I managed to grab an hour last night to get the board that will be the north end of the station together. Ive used my usual method of intergrated framework and backscene to create a monocoque baseboard that should be light and strong. All joints are glued and screwed. The frame is 9mm plywood with a 6mm plywood top.

post-6894-0-85902000-1434188697_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Cav,

This looks good, and good to see you back building a layout. Looking forwards to seeing that superb Peak of yours on some MK1s.

All the best Peter.

Cheers guys. Im planning on getting the other board built up over the weekend and then we can start on modelling something. I think it will be the track first on this one followed by the platform and lineside gear.

• Like 2