Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Hi Cav, I 've gone for the opposite to you in the construction on my New Baseboard for the BLT, its a 9mm top and 6mm sides, with a White Faced Hardboard back scene board. I find that the 9mm top has less of a drumming effect than 6mm.

I dont mind a bit of noise. Trains are noisy! I wont get much with N gauge stock weight tbh. Outon road was completely 6mm and I was perfectly fine with the noise, the frames were pitifully weak though hence my upgrade to 9mm. 9mm is very thick for the actual baseboard. Ive always used 6mm as it is easily bent to achieve flowing changes in level. Not that I need that on Burton but I did on Outon Road.

• Like 1

I dont mind a bit of noise. Trains are noisy! I wont get much with N gauge stock weight tbh. Outon road was completely 6mm and I was perfectly fine with the noise, the frames were pitifully weak though hence my upgrade to 9mm. 9mm is very thick for the actual baseboard. Ive always used 6mm as it is easily bent to achieve flowing changes in level. Not that I need that on Burton but I did on Outon Road.

Yes - that "slope"on Outon was quite an inspiration  - easy to cut 6 mill leaving a slot then able to move to attain a gradual level - in MDF -  which was used on the last mothballed project. <_<

Ian

Well this should please Andy. Some track going down! Yay. Still have the other board to assemble as the weather was rubbish over the weekend so indoor work only.

I also did the yard area in fiNetrax bullhead on wood after these pics were taken but dont have a picture of that yet. I need to wait for some pcb sleepers to arrive now as the freight loops are flatbottom rail on wood on the prototype so will reproduce these with old school soldering of rail to copperclad.

post-6894-0-76344400-1434353689_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-91909500-1434353726_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-23510600-1434354071_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-78162900-1434354087_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-39220300-1434354109_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Guest bri.s

Nice progress ,you've done more in a week than I have in a month lol

Just wondering What did you use to stick the copper sleepers down at the baseboard edge?

Brian

Well this should please Andy. Some track going down! Yay. Still have the other board to assemble as the weather was rubbish over the weekend so indoor work only.

I also did the yard area in fiNetrax bullhead on wood after these pics were taken but dont have a picture of that yet. I need to wait for some pcb sleepers to arrive now as the freight loops are flatbottom rail on wood on the prototype so will reproduce these with old school soldering of rail to copperclad.

Excellent start Cav, that looks so neat, I need some lessons in neatness, hahah.

Brilliant mate

Cheers Brian, copper clad at board edges are always important as they keep the alignment in a delicate area. You may notice I used turnout timbers on mine (actually used OO ones on the fiddle yard end as they arent seen) these are a bit wider to provide a better surface for the glue to fix to. Once painted to match the concrete their impact should me minimal. I stick them down using extra strong contact adhesive as its instant hold and which once the rails are soldered in place I also soak around with superglue. I really dont want those coming adrift later on.

Guest bri.s

Thanks for that Cav I'm soon starting track laying using the fintrax wooden sleeper flexi ,and copper sleepered turnouts so will be very interested in how you get on

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Cav

In answer to your first post I am sure the New Shobnall over bridge was built around 1993/94. I worked on the cable diversions around there when the old Moor Street under Bridge was closed. The new bridge was built on top of the old Bond End branch that went under the line there to Marstons Brewery. Sorry I cannot be more definite on the date

Edited by Ramrig

Cheers thanks for that. I will of course be modelling the Moor Street bridge too. I have managed to find the date the over bridge was built. 2nd April 1992. Right on the end on my modelling period really but I have to model it to provide a scenic break. I'd sooner be a tad out of era with that than have to compromise the overall scene due to 'absolute correctness'.

• Like 1

Well do you ever have one of those nights. I was all set to get board 2 assembled when I couldny find my alignment dowels. I looked high and low but nowhere to be seen. Anyway fishing through one of my modeling drawers I noticed the scalpel blade sticking up, hmm thats dangerous I thought so pushed it down and closed the drawer. The drawer wedged as the blade was popped back up by something in the bottom. So I poked it back down and held it there as I closed the drawer. Hmm that wasnt a good idea. As the drawer closed I trapped my little finger in the drawer and as I was holding the scalpel with my first finger and thumb the drawer front pushed the knife into the opening and straight through my little finger and out the back. Needless to say I was a bit shocked to say the least. So I pulled the knife back out quick and got a teatowel on it. Claret everywhere and a lost nights modelling. Moral to the story? Dont lose your baseboard dowels! Haha

• RMweb Premium

Well do you ever have one of those nights. I was all set to get board 2 assembled when I couldny find my alignment dowels. I looked high and low but nowhere to be seen. Anyway fishing through one of my modeling drawers I noticed the scalpel blade sticking up, hmm thats dangerous I thought so pushed it down and closed the drawer. The drawer wedged as the blade was popped back up by something in the bottom. So I poked it back down and held it there as I closed the drawer. Hmm that wasnt a good idea. As the drawer closed I trapped my little finger in the drawer and as I was holding the scalpel with my first finger and thumb the drawer front pushed the knife into the opening and straight through my little finger and out the back. Needless to say I was a bit shocked to say the least. So I pulled the knife back out quick and got a teatowel on it. Claret everywhere and a lost nights modelling. Moral to the story? Dont lose your baseboard dowels! Haha

Cav, The real moral of the story - "Don't p1ss about with scalpel blades". I always feel that a layout needs some sort of personal sacrifice.

Every layout I've built bears some of my blood along the way - my "new" Deadman's Lane has already acquired a suitable sample of my DNA.................

Cheers,

Mick

Yeah your moral is clearly correct. I was just adding a tongue in cheek twist. All I can say is its a good job we had some of those self adhesive stitches in the first aid box!

I dont foresee any issues with the copperclad as is. When the boards are joined theyre protected and when in transit the boards are designed to sit on each other ying yang so the backscene of one covers the track ends of the other.

Oooooo Double OUCH.

Hope the finger heals up ok Cav,

I am glad I am not the only one who manages to draw blood. I sliced into my thumb last week it still had a bandage on now. It was healing quite well until I hit it on a door runner at the inlaws while trying to fix it.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

All I can say is its a good job we had some of those self adhesive stitches in the first aid box!

Superglue! That's what it was designed for :O

Glad you're still here mate :)

Al.

Looking great Cav! I see you have the solder paste out..,definitely one of my best friends!