Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Thanks Simon,

Things are getting very tight now. I had to take 3 weeks off from modelling due to a relapse of my back issues and then a weeks family holiday! I have now less than 2 weeks to get everything done!

Thanks Peter. It's not so bad this time, I just clicked something in bed and ended up pulling something I think. Was enough to get a sick note and a modelling ban though!

No worries,

Mine plays up a bit, it's always a worry it might lead to something worse. Good to get a sick note though a modelling ban sucks. lol 

Cheers Peter.

Well I will probably not get the car garage done at the front left as thats a cut away diorama like the office. I may not get the famous pipework for the brewery done either but I will be trying to get that in if I can. I need to get it full operational this week really so that I can concentrate on scenic touches and stock next week leading up to the show.

Needless to say this show will be a bit of a WIP regardless.

Some further work on Shobnall Road bridge. The main structure of it is pretty much done now so spent the whole evening tonight soldering up railings. They look good I think. Need another set for the back now though too! Time well spent though I think.

post-6894-0-50218200-1504734388_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-81168200-1504734403_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Ok well things are getting pretty close to the show now. Still a bit to do but hopefully will have a running layout by Saturday!!

The scenics won't be finished and I will have to run a lot of 'out of the box' stock too which I'm a little annoyed at!

Anyway to add insult to injury I now don't have any operating crew either as the missus and Mason have both had to drop out so I will be trying to run the layout on my own.

As a side to this if anyone is visiting the Lichfield show and wants to help for a bit then you are more than welcome. I am not envisaging the smoothest of operating sessions!

Ok well things are getting pretty close to the show now. Still a bit to do but hopefully will have a running layout by Saturday!!

The scenics won't be finished and I will have to run a lot of 'out of the box' stock too which I'm a little annoyed at!

Layout building is a long term continual development process. And it's probably better that everything isn't completed and 'finished' for your first exhibition as that means there are improvements and changes to the scenics and stock that people can look forward to for the next exhibition, although faultless running is probably an essential. Being able to make improvements and add finishing touches means that exhibition viewers will have something new in the future that makes it worth wanting to seeing the layout again and engender interest in it, and needing to 'work' on the layout will also help maintain your interest in it. 

Good luck.

G.

Anyway to add insult to injury I now don't have any operating crew either as the missus and Mason have both had to drop out so I will be trying to run the layout on my own.

As a side to this if anyone is visiting the Lichfield show and wants to help for a bit then you are more than welcome. I am not envisaging the smoothest of operating sessions!

Would love to Cav but sadly I'm up in North Yorkshire currently, and if I was available it would have meant a double whammy for me - Lichfield one day, then going to the 50th anniversary Redditch show on the other!

Layout building is a long term continual development process. And it's probably better that everything isn't completed and 'finished' for your first exhibition as that means there are improvements and changes to the scenics and stock that people can look forward to for the next exhibition, although faultless running is probably an essential. Being able to make improvements and add finishing touches means that exhibition viewers will have something new in the future that makes it worth wanting to seeing the layout again and engender interest in it, and needing to 'work' on the layout will also help maintain your interest in it. 

Good luck.

G.

Yes I agree, I would have liked to have had the main items of stock and scenics complete though. When Outon Road was doing the circuit it went through many iterations of detail and overall evolution but I never ran it with unfinished areas. Still, it's no bother, I can always add a little blurb indicating whats still to be done!

Would love to Cav but sadly I'm up in North Yorkshire currently, and if I was available it would have meant a double whammy for me - Lichfield one day, then going to the 50th anniversary Redditch show on the other!

It's no problem bud.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Hi Cav,

How big an area is not finished. Could you not cheat and lay down some temporary undergrowth. There is a strip along the front of Dallam which we did just that. There should be some industrial units and hardstanding but ran out of time, so it received temporary undergrowth.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to my world Cav....At least yours looks nearly finished!  :laugh:  :laugh: 

Edited by scoobyra

Hi Cav,

How big an area is not finished. Could you not cheat and lay down some temporary undergrowth. There is a strip along the front of Dallam which we did just that. There should be some industrial units and hardstanding but ran out of time, so it received temporary undergrowth.

Yep, a little decorative disguise can do wonders. Unless there's bare flat wooden surfaces or bright white plaster topography, then most people probably won't notice any unfinished areas.

G.

Deadmans Lane was exhibited as work in progress at somewhere I can't remember. Lime Street in its progression has always had bits unfinished so what's the rush in disguising things?

No point in a cover up. Show things as they are so we can look forward to seeing a more finished article. Are layouts ever complete?

Ian

• Like 1