Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Excellent work Cav, I can see Moor St now, I worked at Kia, opposite the old Moor St Bridge for a couple of Months in early 2006 and prior to that at Peugeot which backed onto the line opposite the Football Ground, and the volume of Steel, Coal, Stone, Freightliner, Bins, Oil etc passing over the line in those days was amazing. Loads of 37's, 31's, 60's, 47's etc. as well as the usual 66's

Almost every morning in 2005 when I was at Peugeot a 37 or 66 would come up on the slow line with 5 French Canvas side round topped wagons? come to a halt behind Peugeot, the when clear it would reverse out across the up and down lines and onto the Down Slow and then into the sidings opposite the old Wagon Works, (now Nemesis), one time it was a West Coast Railways 37 in immaculate condition.

The 'canvas-topped' wagons were French-registered IHA coil carriers; not sure if it was sheet coil for Burnaston or wire coil for Rom River Reinforcement. There was also container traffic from various ports to Burton, which I believe went to Argos.

The Argos flow went to Hawkins lane, with the steel.

Surprisingly Argos didn't have track access, even tho it was right alongside central rivers!

Can't for the life of me remember the haulier who did the steel coils and containers in Hawkins lane, the name is different now.

Nice work Cav

Cheers

Bob

Edited by 86902
  • Like 1

Thanks Bob. The container traffic sounds interesting. Not sure how it will affect my running other than going past though. Anyway a quick photo update showing the yard now spewing over the joint to the first point. I'll be gluing down all of the sleepers for these and building in situ. Best way to make a perfect fit of track IMO.

post-6894-0-51665300-1434820442_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Well I've managed to get the copperclads down after a break to spend time with the kids. Not sure if I'll do the rails tonight as my poorly leg is playing up. Anyway I thought Id have a play and take a couple of pics of Marcus' toton to didcot domestic coal, this time with 58035 in charge!

post-6894-0-07659300-1434834034_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-57727500-1434834048_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-12306600-1434834067_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Superb Cav, excellent work. That train was good at dropping all sorts of loco's so the 58 is well at home on it. Even remember seeing a pair of RF Red Stripe 37s  on it in 1988. 

Also another long standing service through Burton is the Kingsbury tanks. Normally loads up to 20 TEA's so is a solid Class 60 turn now as a 66 isn't man enough. What worked it regularly prior to the 60s I cant remember.  

i know the trains I work with the S Stock are to late for you but you could have the 37's,  barrier wagons and brake van going back to Litchurch lane for you're time period.

Skys the limit with Burton. Definitely a good choice.

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Nice progress cav ,it looks a bigger run than I thought it would

,question how do you build your V's ?do you have home made jigs ?and is the V curved on the curved points ?

Are the longer timbers for where the tie bar will be

Sorry for all the questions

Brian

I will certainly have a TEA train. It wont sadly be 20 long as the fiddle yard wouldn't have a chance to take that length. Would look odd on a model I think unless the layout was really big. Even then I thinkbit would look odd.

As for the V's I just eyeball them with a dremel. The V's are curved on the templot so will follow those although I may straighten them a little through the V on the really tight curves to help the wheels keep on course. The longer timbers are for the tie bar yes. I will need to cut them off though actually as the longer ones are for the fitting of a point lever however the ones on Burton are controlled from a ground frame beside the entrance point.

Yes Ian, I will get this one done. As for exhibiting, yes defineatly. I love doing the circuit and Burton I hope will be the foot back in the door.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Guest bri.s

Thanks cav and sorry for the questions lol

I'm just starting out in point building and like to learn how others go about it

Look forward to updates and seeing it on the show circuit

Brian

• Like 1

You're right Cav you would need one hell of a sized layout for 20 TEA's. I can comfortably run 8 or 9 bogie hoppers on Peak Dale Wood with 13 x 13 to play with. So basically that would be the space you would need in N!! A few weeks back the damn thing failed in front of me at Tamworth whilst I was working a Tinsley to Shrewsbury aggregates service. Network Rail had this great idea that I could go and rescue it.Thought this is going to be entertaining, dead 60 and its train with a 66. Luckily DBS had a spare 60 sat at Bescot so they sensibly sent that out instead. Would have liked to given it a go though. You will think I've taken leave of my senses but a 66 on full chat with the fans in and roaring away is rather nice when your hands on the power controller!!  

• Like 4

Well my fiddle yard is about 5 and a half feet so would be able to get a 10 tank train in there no probs. That will be long enough I feel. Did that service use double headed 47s back in the day? I cant really remember much else on tanks before the 60s came along.

• Like 1

You're right Cav you would need one hell of a sized layout for 20 TEA's. I can comfortably run 8 or 9 bogie hoppers on Peak Dale Wood with 13 x 13 to play with. So basically that would be the space you would need in N!! A few weeks back the damn thing failed in front of me at Tamworth whilst I was working a Tinsley to Shrewsbury aggregates service. Network Rail had this great idea that I could go and rescue it.Thought this is going to be entertaining, dead 60 and its train with a 66. Luckily DBS had a spare 60 sat at Bescot so they sensibly sent that out instead. Would have liked to given it a go though. You will think I've taken leave of my senses but a 66 on full chat with the fans in and roaring away is rather nice when your hands on the power controller!!  

Ah the joys of full scale rakes.

I have a prototypical 13 Castle Cement JPA on the layout with proposed GM haulage which is more than enough - wouldn't like to attempt a DRS Stobart Daventry to Mossend affair.

Not to mention the expense at £40 a chuck nowadays for some stock.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi

great area to model spent many of hours sitting at burton station the best was hearing the 20s ticking over at Drakelow power station or pulling away on coal trains especially at night looking forward to seeing more progress

steve

• Like 1

Yes Ian. Stock is getting silly prices these days. I can half forgive the super detailed stuff but even the p!ss poor old poole stuff with better wheels on are still going for a pretty sum.

Yes as far as Burton goes it seems that there is plenty of scope for different freight services. A pair of choppers is a must I think.

• Like 1

Cheers Alex.

Pairs of 31s, ahh cool. Hmm does this mean I need to get a couple more 31s!! Aarrgghhhh. Would be a cool working though. Maybe a dummy 31 would be doable?

Sadly I dont know whether Didcot mgrs went through there, I assume all of the mgrs through burton were Drakelow bound but may well be wrong. I can model any mgr train with 1 rake though so it costs me no extra to add as many workings as we like!

Edited by RBE

Well my fiddle yard is about 5 and a half feet so would be able to get a 10 tank train in there no probs. That will be long enough I feel. Did that service use double headed 47s back in the day? I cant really remember much else on tanks before the 60s came along.

Not sure Cav. Don't think 47s were multi-ed back then. Pairs of 31 s and 37's are the only ones that spring to mind. Perhaps 56s before sectorisation.

Cheers Alex.

Pairs of 31s, ahh cool. Hmm does this mean I need to get a couple more 31s!! Aarrgghhhh. Would be a cool working though. Maybe a dummy 31 would be doable?

Sadly I dont know whether Didcot mgrs went through there, I assume all of the mgrs through burton were Drakelow bound but may well be wrong. I can model any mgr train with 1 rake though so it costs me no extra to add as many workings as we like!

Yep some of the Didcots came that way as they traversed the Sheet Stores to Stenson branch coming across from Toton.

Just thought as well Cav. There will have been loaded trains of MGRs coming off the Coalville branch, from the pits down there, as well as the empties from Drakelow. There were power stations at Willington and Castle Donnington so it was probably a bit of mecca for MGR services back then. So you'll need at least 50 MGRs so you can have two trains passing each other to be prototypical. Don't worry only kidding!!

Yes I agree. I almost instantly remembered 47s werent multiple fitted that early. I had just remembered all tank trains through chesterfield being 47s. I do like the idea of doubleheaded 31s though. I can feel a pair of these and a 60 coming on at some point!

Edited by RBE