Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

9 minutes ago, D1059 said:

Is that a Bullion van I spy in the platform on the right ?

Very nice layout - ALMOST tempted to go for handbuilt track next time

Nice pic. It is a converted courier vehicle yes. Adds a bit of interest I think.

6 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I must say I think Cav's method of handbuilt track to N gauge standards is the way forward. I've literally just pressed print on my first Templot template to have a go myself! Cav - have you gone for 0.85mm flangeways?

At least I know my Revolution TEAs will work if I copy your standards, any failures will purely be my execution! :lol:

The plain track is just set to 9.42mm using a 2mm ass. roller gauge.

The pointwork is 9.42mm tapering down to 8.85mm gauge at the crossing. The flangeways are 0.8mm with 7.25mm across checks.

I usually set my templots to the N2 standard below so that the crossing and checks are right. Everything else gets laid in using the 9.42mm roller gauge.

632639514_N2pointstandard(1).png.717af7beeb44444954b213990719fc82.png

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2019 at 01:39, MarshLane said:

Cav ,

I may have missed this earlier, but how have you made your trees? Superb modelling btw.

Rich

Hi Rich, missed this somehow!

The trees are seamoss coated in sprigs on woodland scenics fine leaf foliage.

30 minutes ago, mikeyh said:

Hi,

I always enjoy looking at updates on this layout so was good to see it for real today at Trainwest. Really great layout and stock and some amazing small details. Brilliant work!

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that you enjoyed seeing the layout over the weekend. There are still a few things to do before I call the layout complete, relaying the fiddle yard in handbuilt code 40 is one of them.

• Like 1

Hi Cav,

Was hoping to pop along and see this over the weekend but unfortunately the 1:1 scale train set got in the way of that.

Hopefully catch you somewhere in the future and see those repaints and detailing projects first hand!

Jo

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Simon. We try to run the layout prototypically which quite often goes over some peoples heads that seem to want a constant barrage of trains.

Me and the missus like to take our time and offer up a more leisurely  trainspotting type experience!

• Like 2

Thanks Paul, picked the mag up digitally myself. Very pleased with how the article has turned out.

I am very much looking forward to its outing at Derby next month!

• 2 months later...

Hi Cav, I found your layout thread this morning and I've spent a large portion of my Sunday reading through the development of this layout and Outen Road.  Both are absolutely fantastic, inspiring to see how they came together.  Keep up the good work and hopefully see them at an exhibition soon!

Best wishes,

Tom

Hi Tom thanks for the time to take a look. I don't get much modelling time nowadays with Cavalex commitments and life in general so haven't been updating much on here.

The layout is due out again at TINGS in september so if you can make it to that then pop over and say hi.

Regards

Cav

Just had a browse through your Cavalex site, some really lovely models there!  I like the look of the Class 91 :) Will you be offering the Standard Wagon PGA's in N gauge as well as 2mm?  Guessing it's easy to switch the wheelsets?

I was also planning a trip to TINGS so look forward to saying hello.

All the best,

Tom

• AY Mod featured this topic
  • 2 years later...

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the journey of this layout on here. Some really insightful modelling. I especially found your platform and baseboard shapes interesting. My quandry is over thickness but also being able to get the gaps and undulations right - I don’t just want a ‘flat board’ design.

• 1 month later...