The Boston and Freiston Shore Tramway 0-16.5

joppyuk1

post-16689-0-78393200-1433792165.jpg

This is the inside of my shed as it looks today, and which will become the home of the Boston and Freiston Shore Tramway. A 7mm, scale 0-16.5mm narrow gauge railway running, as the name suggests, from Boston in Lincolnshire out to the coast of the Wash at Freiston. I'll put up a short history in a later post, but here is the proposed track plan, originally published in Railway Modeller some years ago. I intend for the layout to have a Great Northern flavour in building style, and to be Southwold/Leek and Manifold/Isle of Man type stock. We shall see.

post-16689-0-22438900-1433792482_thumb.jpg

I should warn you all that I work exceedingly slowly (I once took three years to make MrsJ a spice rack), so progress will be slow. As I intend to scratch build most of it progress will be long-winded.

Until next time

Excellent. I remember a school field trip to Freiston Shore many decades ago. We certainly found out lots about marram grass and the icy coldness of a northeasterly wind in early July.

It is a shame that you seem not to have found room for a bridge over a large drain that the line would have to cross at some point. It would be a good excuse for a scratchbuilt trestle affair.

Excellent. I remember a school field trip to Freiston Shore many decades ago. We certainly found out lots about marram grass and the icy coldness of a northeasterly wind in early July.

It is a shame that you seem not to have found room for a bridge over a large drain that the line would have to cross at some point. It would be a good excuse for a scratchbuilt trestle affair.

I'm not sure where it would fit in, though it could go in the corner where the overbridge is currently. With a little re-routing of the road It wouldn't be difficult to turn what was going to be a level crossing into a rail bridge over a drain. When I start playing with the track I'll find out. 

What size shed have you, and do you have any stock/buildings etc at the moment

My shed is 12 foot by 8 foot, with a run of kitchen units down one side topped by particle board top, but I have to leave half for other activities. That's why I will only be using the rear end. As for the infrastructure, I have a bit of peco rail and some kits for stock and locos, with a few unpainted figures; all of which I've picked up at various shows. Nothing ready yet so I really am starting from the beginning. 

The baseboards are made, I need to make space for them, so a lot of the clutter has to go first. I'm working on an entry that will introduce the various routes historically proposed, this will appear by the end of the week.

post-16689-0-69272300-1433972106.jpg

This is the official map of the historical proposal. My layout is of the area at the sharp bend in the top centre. It is interesting that the line was planned to run right through the town centre with a couple of spurs down the sides of the river. And what a roundabout route it was going to take.Note the gradient profile at the bottom of the page.

Hi Joppyuk1

what a great concept and truely fab idea, look forward to more future posts. I cant speak for all modellers..but I am sure that a few will agree that " Anything worth doing as prototypical as you plan, is worthwhile taking your time". Although some say that if you have long term plans its easy to lose faith and sight of what you set out to achieve - but in some cases perserverance truely pays off and what you end up with .. is something that will last, not to mention be extremly proud of.

Best wishes and kind regards

Dan

attachicon.gifboston tramway map.JPG

This is the official map of the historical proposal. My layout is of the area at the sharp bend in the top centre. It is interesting that the line was planned to run right through the town centre with a couple of spurs down the sides of the river. And what a roundabout route it was going to take.Note the gradient profile at the bottom of the page.

It may appear to be a roundabout route these days, but in the 19th century with the marshy ground over much of the area, maybe the contractors chose the route that would not entail too much stabilisation of the ground. Looking at the modern maps, it would appear to follow the route taken by roads, and so I surmise that the route also followed the line of ancient trackways.

I don't know any of this but am simply trying to justify the route.

post-16689-0-88233300-1434309994.jpg

This map appeared in 'The Railways of Boston' by Neil R Wright, and shows the various proposals. I was in Boston on saturday, visiting family and picking up Lincolnshire sausages, and drove along 'my' route, out to the Plummer's Hotel, where the line would have gone over the sea bank onto a mile-long pier just beyond low water mark. Seeing the area today it is hard to imagine it being a regular day-trip destination for anyone other than a hardened bird watcher, though period pictures show people promenading along the bank, and even horse races taking place!

Nothing quite like getting some perspective of the area your trying to model, The Great Barry Norman - one of his greatest tips was.. if you were going to model a real location or prototypical branchline, then it was best to got out and see the lay of the land and take lots of pictures for case reference studies.

Fair play to you Sir, although it maybe hard to imagine there ever being railway in your chosen location when you where visiting/passing through .. But i am sure there are still some little clues or features to be found with time and patience.

Look forward to seeing more developments on this Very interesting blog.

Kind Regards

Dan

post-16689-0-47659100-1434452374.jpg

A view of the scenic background. This was taken at Haltoft End, just after the sharp right turn on the map (see above entry). The following picture is at Frieston Shore and shows just how flat this part of the world is. Unfortunately both were taken on an overcast and rainy day.

post-16689-0-60734100-1434452564.jpg

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifunorganisedshed.JPG

This is the inside of my shed as it looks today, and which will become the home of the Boston and Freiston Shore Tramway. A 7mm, scale 0-16.5mm narrow gauge railway running, as the name suggests, from Boston in Lincolnshire out to the coast of the Wash at Freiston. I'll put up a short history in a later post, but here is the proposed track plan, originally published in Railway Modeller some years ago. I intend for the layout to have a Great Northern flavour in building style, and to be Southwold/Leek and Manifold/Isle of Man type stock. We shall see.

attachicon.gifall square082.jpg

I should warn you all that I work exceedingly slowly (I once took three years to make MrsJ a spice rack), so progress will be slow. As I intend to scratch build most of it progress will be long-winded.

Until next time

Hi,

Sounds like a fascinating project, I will be following with interest.

My initial reaction to the proposed trackplan is that its clearly an RM "Plan of The Month" design for a standard-gauge branchline in a small space. 

I would suggest that a narrow-gauge tramway would be rather more minimalist in its facilities in terms of platforms, footbridges, signalling etc. 

I see that your stock will be Southwold/IoM based, maybe the general infrastructure should be as well?

I like the idea of a passing station; the SR didnt have one and its interesting to speculate what one might have looked like had the traffic demanded it.

I'm particularly fond of the Southwold myself, and some of my modelling is based on it.

Best wishes,

Dave.T

Hi,

Sounds like a fascinating project, I will be following with interest.

My initial reaction to the proposed trackplan is that its clearly an RM "Plan of The Month" design for a standard-gauge branchline in a small space. 

I would suggest that a narrow-gauge tramway would be rather more minimalist in its facilities in terms of platforms, footbridges, signalling etc. 

I see that your stock will be Southwold/IoM based, maybe the general infrastructure should be as well?

I like the idea of a passing station; the SR didnt have one and its interesting to speculate what one might have looked like had the traffic demanded it.

I'm particularly fond of the Southwold myself, and some of my modelling is based on it.

Best wishes,

Dave.T

You're quite right about the track plan. I shall be sticking to it in the main, but the facilities will be pared down to suit a narrow gauge line. There is a quote about the port of Boston, from Nathaniel Hawthorne in 1853, about "an impression of bustle, and sluggishness, and decay, and a remnant of wholesome life" that I think should apply to the model. I'm still clearing the shed at the moment, but I can see some of the floor now!

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to finish the shed re-arrangement today (Saturday), but the thermometer in there says it's 39.8 degrees, to uncomfortable for what I planned. The weatherman threatens it will be warmer next week!! The next two weekends are booked with other matters, so the shed will have to wait a little longer.

In spite of my last message, yesterday (Sunday) I was able to spend a bit of time in the shed. It rained, so cooled things down a little. As you will see from the photo, taken from the same viewpoint as the first, I was able to get most of the detritus stored away in the new cupboards, and even get the boards in approximate place. They are not fastened down yet, and as I've changed the arrangement slightly to allow for the extra shed width, I'm going to need another to fill the gap. The one at this end will be hinged so I can get through. The new arrangement will allow more length along the station side as well as a larger operating well, so I won't bash things about with my elbow.

The other picture is of a small railway station, which was going well until I came to the roof! The building will have to be replaced, as the original is from Wales* and I have a GN design waiting in the wings..

* Inspiration taken from the booklet Welsh Country Workers Housing 1775 - 1875, by the National Museum of Wales, 1985.post-16689-0-65919300-1435565118.jpgpost-16689-0-49441100-1435565734.jpg

I'm following this topic with interest. I've just moved to Kirton from Coventry and I'm fascinated by the railway heritage of the whole area. Pending a move to something more permanent in a few months, my O16.5 ambitions are very much on hold so perhaps this might inspire me when time allows!

Ken

Kirton - built in 1848 on the Great Northern Railway 'Lincolnshire Loop Line. The buildings were still occupird in 1966 but were demolished in 1995.....It comprised a station master's house, waiting room, booking office, goods shed and signal box. The line was closed in 1970.....now buried under the A16, opened in 1994.

I hope you are enjoying your move to the wilds of Lincolnshire. A long neglected county with plenty of history and things of interest without having to go too far.

Thanks, yes I am. I'm fascinated by being able to drive along or near old railway lines and see such things as Sutterton Station, signal gantries in the middle of nowhere (near Cowbit) and bridges over waterways with railway track in situ (Spalding) severed from the railway system. Also being able to drive for miles and see the horizon instead of tower blocks!

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

According to the thermometer the shed has been between 20 degrees and a high of 43!!. I haven't done a great deal, apart from paint the board surfaces with primer ready to play track planning, and I've got to wait till pension day before I can go to the DIY superstore, there to get a sheet of thin hardboard cut into strips to make the backscene. In the meantime I've knocked up a quick trial one using paint sample pots and trying to get the 'large sky' effect of the Lincolnshire coast. There are three different blues, white, brown and three greens involved. I'm not sure it has worked though it looks better in real life that the photos. The field should perhaps be a little deeper, and a darker brown. I've also been painting a few figures. These come from the Stadden range, with a couple of PLM hikers, plus a couple of the old Phoenix (now S&D) range. It's a start.

post-16689-0-27880300-1437513862.jpg

post-16689-0-42074300-1437513881.jpg

Not much will happen now until mid september, as we have our daughters wedding in two weeks, followed by a week down in Dorset at the end of August to get over it. 

• RMweb Gold

I love this area, many happy memories of walking across 'the marshes' with my family as a youngster, visiting Lincs in the mid- to late-'70s.

One of my fave books too is 'Lincolnshire Potato Railways' by Stewart Squires - I see this now goes for £999 on Amazon??!!

Good luck with the layout.

cheers,

Keith

I love this area, many happy memories of walking across 'the marshes' with my family as a youngster, visiting Lincs in the mid- to late-'70s.

One of my fave books too is 'Lincolnshire Potato Railways' by Stewart Squires - I see this now goes for £999 on Amazon??!!

Good luck with the layout.

cheers,

Keith

I must sell my copy to help pay off the mortgage!

Ken

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

post-16689-0-11965200-1446061534.jpg

Unfortunately I have no photos of progress to show, but a little has happened. The backboards are all made, and will be removeable. They have been painted (not brilliantly, just in my own pathetic way) ans I have started gluing cork tiles on the bases. There are a number of foamboard building outlines being moved about. The problem is that I am also rebuilding a 60 year old model sailing pond yacht that needs extensive restoration, and this has been promised for Xmas.

post-16689-0-19283900-1446476577.jpgpost-16689-0-45600300-1446476600.jpgpost-16689-0-19286300-1446476614.jpgpost-16689-0-27277200-1446476633.jpgAfter a weekend devoted to the railway, there is some visible progress. Hopefully there will be pictures at the end of this post!

The boards are all completed, back scene (all detachable) painted with my interpretation of the Lincolnshire fen skyline, and a lot of cork glued down where the track will be going. Various odds and ends are laid in place to see what they look like. There re some tubes for point control, a bit of track, some foam core sketch buildings, and my old Hornby controllers just to give me some idea of what it will look like. The controllers will be replaced with modern versions eventually,and the area disguised as a couple of large warehouses, which may come away when operating the layout, as they will hide the points system.

I'm now looking at tracklaying, wiring, and point control (wire in tube), but next weekend is spoken for, as we're off to Northampton friday, to see sister-in-law get her BEM (or something) from the Lord Lieutenant on sunday.

Archived