Hull spotting notes 1959-62

Over 25 years I've built a layout inspired by the goods yards in Hull circa 1960, and have acquired possibly all of the relevant books and magazines in the process. Unfortunately I never visited the area till 1966/7 so my own spotting notes cant help, but I'm keen to learn more about visiting locos during the 1959-62 period. That is so that I can include some on my layout in a realistic way relative to how frequent they were in real life. The idea is be able to add some interest without making every session a red letter day!

If anyone does have some notes they can scan or message then I'll be very grateful.  

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

I came across your post whilst looking at some Class 114 conversions, unfortunately I can't help with any spotting notes for your era, but I'm also in the process of building a Hull based layout during the period 1965-68.

I wondered if you had any spotting notes from this era that may help in building a picture of visiting locos other than the Dairycoates based ones,

Thanks

Andy

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, Andy 53B said:

Hi Clive,

I came across your post whilst looking at some Class 114 conversions, unfortunately I can't help with any spotting notes for your era, but I'm also in the process of building a Hull based layout during the period 1965-68.

I wondered if you had any spotting notes from this era that may help in building a picture of visiting locos other than the Dairycoates based ones,

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, I've always lived in London so only visited Hull three times during that period. What about you? These are my notes for Dairycoates with a few visitors, mostly from York it seems, but you should be able to pick them out if you have shed allocations to hand. I hope this helps.

Good luck with the layout.

Clive

53A-4-68.jpg

53A-5-66.jpg

53A-5-67.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for those Clive, they'll be really useful, it'll give me something to do cross-referencing numbers with allocations.

I've nearly always live in or around the Beverley area, but unfortunately the time period I'm modelling I was only 4 and by the time I started going regularly through to Hull everything had gone blue. It's really interesting (frustrating) trying to find info/pictures of Hull at this time, I'm still trying to find a definitive answer with proof when the first Deltic visited!! 

Thanks again

Andy

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 21:23, Andy 53B said:

Thanks very much for those Clive, they'll be really useful, it'll give me something to do cross-referencing numbers with allocations.

I've nearly always live in or around the Beverley area, but unfortunately the time period I'm modelling I was only 4 and by the time I started going regularly through to Hull everything had gone blue. It's really interesting (frustrating) trying to find info/pictures of Hull at this time, I'm still trying to find a definitive answer with proof when the first Deltic visited!! 

Thanks again

Andy

Not many foreigners on those lists, mainly Brush 4s and EE type 4s. Most of the foreign Dudees are for scrap, awaiting movement to either of Drapers yards.