Lincoln, Rode Island - New Haven Railroad in N Scale

fraggfish

Hi All,

Been thinking about a N scale American project for a while and finally getting round to do something about it. Drawn to the New Haven for it's interesting operations and liveries. The plan is set the layout in the late 50's and is a fictitious extension to the Moshassuck Valley RR built to serve further mill developments and the quarry higher up the valley eventually joining with the New Havens Blackstone River route. The MVRR by this point has been absorbed into the New Haven and sees occasional diversionary traffic.

The idea is to make up modules that will fit on a Ikea Billy shelf. There will be a 'fiddle stick' and a small fiddle yard for more operating potential but this first module will hopefully allow a limited switching operation without these attached. Never modeled N scale so this is very much a test piece for techniques etc. 

Neil

post-25081-0-47641000-1434002036.jpg

Hi Gordy,

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct it will only accept a rs-1 and a 50' car. I'm happy with that while the boards operating on it's own but plan to add an extension piece for more 'serious' operating . The spurs only accept 2 cars anyway.

Regards,

Neil

In the late '50s you are more likely to be using 40' cars, possibly shorter for hoppers.

The only thing that looks out of place is the three-way point(switch) - I'd be inclined to replace the three-way and the short straight with two separate points.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I would prefer to use two separate points but I need to save space so I'm prepared to accept it's 'unamericanness'. The stock I intend to run is made up of 40' cars so I may reduce the lead to allow a bit more room on the spurs.

Regards

Neil

Archived