Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

Nice, but I think this belongs in the existing thread where we discussed the Adams Radial, though I have to admit I can't find one dedicated to the Adams Radial specifically.

There was a lot of discussion in the Warley announcement thread. Perhaps this one should become a dedicated Hornby Adams Radial thread?

I wonder if this will be the topic of tomorrow's "The Engine Shed" blog?

For comparison, here is the new image contrasted with one shared on the Hornby 2015 Announcement thread here.

post-1819-0-60500000-1434054711_thumb.jpg

It appears to demonstrate progress while Oxford Rail is presently quiet on the progress of their model.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder what this coaches were. Older SR coaches if I'm not mistaken?

Ah, but the key bit is 'which older SR coaches' I do believe.  If you ask the right question on a search engine such as Google I think you might get a very interesting answer as I just found some which look very similar to the ones in the clip Muz linked.

BTW does somebody in Hornby's development team keep an eye on RMweb?  Someone on here was talking about some news (manufacturing wise) today and lo & behold this appears from Hornby, seems like they're makinga  habit of letting-slip a few carefully timed juicy morsels.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but the key bit is 'which older SR coaches' I do believe.

I could tell you but I won't until it is official....

Edited by Graham_Muz

A completely uninformed piece of speculation, so nothing official. :D

Given the amount of LSWR engines on the market, or 'in the works', I think it would be a safe bet to say they are LSWR coaches of some sort.

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

... seems like they're making a habit of letting-slip a few carefully timed juicy morsels.

I'd raise on that, to what is looking like a well structured and closely managed information flow, with a timetable. We'll get to assess the robustness of the process when something goes awry!

Possibly there's some strategy behind it: can we engage sufficient of the potential customer base by such methods to continue to secure the required sales whatever the trends are in high street retail presence for model railway product? 

Instantly telling the difference between the designs of various pre group company coaches is obviously a dying art!

These are going to create an explosion [as it were] of cut and shut early SR EMUs. All good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I said I can at this moment neither confirm or deny, but all will be revealed at some stage in the future (I have just written my blog post ready to coincide with the announcement...)

And to answer the question earlier "does the Hornby Development team read the forums", I know that they certainly do...  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Seems like Hornby really are getting back in the saddle. The Adams looks to be to the same standard as the K1 and J15 and they seem to be putting a real effort into getting rolling stock out. I know nothing about pre grouping coaches but the 3 behind the Adams look like handsome new additions of a southern flavour and greater variety can only be a good thing whatever they are.

It will nice as so many great model locos lack the coaches to pull ready to run .At least they are now listening and Birdcages in pregrouping livery etc  and now possibly some LSWR  in possible or at least potential  pregroup livery coming along .Of course they will have something wrong with them ,a rivet or three missing ,stepping  on someone elses little private  patch  demanding wrath and ire ,kit coaches  already available  blah blah  for the fifty  people in the country who can actually make them and hundred and fifty  who say they can  blah blah  etc etc .

FIRST, let me say how happy I am that things are progressing.

Second, however whilst I note added details over the previous photo, I  PRESUME  that the model is still a 3-D print as the top of the side tanks are "wiggly" (a technical term).

Third, and most seriously  -  Hornby have got it wrong again (I know "I MUST NOT BE NEGATIVE") the predicted release date is 22nd December  -  WHY ?   Why, couldn't they have got it out three weeks or so earlier ?  They have a "cute" (charismatic even) locomotive at a reasonable price, ideal for Christmas presents but they release them too late (even if they keep the date how many will be in peoples' hands for Christmas day ?   I know that production slots which produce stuff just in time for Christmas must be at a premium, but date must mean that the sales must suffer.

FIRST, let me say how happy I am that things are progressing.

Second, however whilst I note added details over the previous photo, I  PRESUME  that the model is still a 3-D print as the top of the side tanks are "wiggly" (a technical term).

Third, and most seriously  -  Hornby have got it wrong again (I know "I MUST NOT BE NEGATIVE") the predicted release date is 22nd December  -  WHY ?   Why, couldn't they have got it out three weeks or so earlier ?  They have a "cute" (charismatic even) locomotive at a reasonable price, ideal for Christmas presents but they release them too late (even if they keep the date how many will be in peoples' hands for Christmas day ?   I know that production slots which produce stuff just in time for Christmas must be at a premium, but date must mean that the sales must suffer.

Nonsense .Its just in time for the" after christmas grannies  and aunties money" be spent .i was much richer after Christmas than before .Mind you it was in the 50's .

• RMweb Gold

The coach illustrated (post 16) looks like a fairly early 3D prototype that will undergo significant further development but the very short van section suggests a 50' Tri-composite Brake to me. 

Question is, what are the other two..........

John

EDIT: Having read subsequent posts and re-watched the video, I agree that the longer rebuilt version is more likely (and more logical to partner the Radials in the more popular modelling eras). Also noticed the under-cantrail panelling in the still shot is of regular proportions which points to a third rather than a composite. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I agree with Bigherb,they look like models of the ex-LSWR non-corridors that were rebuilt on to 58' Maunsell underframes [which is the logical thing for Hornby to do as they only have to tool up for the bodies and interiors]

I know certain people at Hornby used to read the forums,but I don't know who's on the current design team as I'm a bit out of touch..