Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

Even I feel somewhat guilty at adding to exchanges regarding Mr Maunsells converted carriage stock, on a thread seemingly intended for a debate on Mr Adams locomotives. But hey, no one seems to mind, and all the postings have been of high value.

So the reasonable conclusion might be that, along with Lyme Regis locos, we are soon to be offered a Lyme Regis Carriage set, which could be used elsewhere in the Western division. Where else can we go? I believe that the line was engineered by Arthur Pain, a gentleman not normally associated with the LSWR. The loco shed at closure was a rebuild, but I venture to suggest that the final design was influenced by the original, in which case we can recreate an historic record of an Arthur Pain Loco Shed, (with opportunities for GWR use elsewhere). With the Goods Shed, then a pair of new buildings for Scaledale. If OOC do not re-issue their Bristol K and L type buses soon, then OD will. And the Cobb is as modellogenic a scene as any, with or without Ms Streep.

PB

I don't think you should feel guilty, Peter! After all it's Hornby who tantalised us with the prospect of appropriate carriages to go with their Radial, in their video clip.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

The Adams looks very good, but its the coaches that have got my attention more, as it stands there are only three types of RTR coaches you can use on the SR at the mo, But if they do bring these out i can see them selling well.

As these can be used all over the Western Division and beyond, it good to see Hornby doing something to haul, how many times has a good loco come out and having no coaches for it, i think this is a good move for them to fill this gap. 

Darren

Edited by darren01

I'm sure the first and last aren't identical - the configuration of the roof vents are different for a start. Yes the front coach is definitely van + 8 compartments ie diagram 99 BT. While the sides of the rear coach aren't very clear even in Bigherb's enhancement, backed up by the evidence of the roof vents, it seems to be 2 compartments / lav / 2 compartments / lav / 2 compartments + van, ie this would suit a diag. 418 BCL.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

I have examined Bigherbs frozen images again, in a dark room. I have to agree about the last coach is indeed a BCL.

Reference yesterday's post on this thread concerning a T3 conversion, I offer the suggestion that the Radial chassis has potential for the basis of a 4-4-0 Steamroller, as both the diameter and spacing of the drivers are common to both.

Edited by Edwardian

If you want to saw up a Radial...

I do, I so do. Contemplating which RTR items might just be so useful for adapting to some other purpose is all part of the fun. A 4-4-2T running gear with a necessarily compact mechanism is a very attractive prospect.

I won't eat my hat/kilt yet until the models actually appear but I may have to start practicing. Perhaps a nice trilby with some Peppercorn sauce!

The advantage relating to sporting a pork pie hat cannot be underestimated at such a juncture.

• RMweb Premium

I do, I so do. Contemplating which RTR items might just be so useful for adapting to some other purpose is all part of the fun. A 4-4-2T running gear with a necessarily compact mechanism is a very attractive prospect.

The advantage relating to sporting a pork pie hat cannot be underestimated at such a juncture.

Any good for a C12, I wonder?  The driving wheels are within an inch of right size..... 

The Radial model does look good, but is it me, or does it have the "Hornby Horizontal Handrail knobs" issue? :scratchhead:

The appearance of the 700 and the observations about it's knobs made me have a check! ;)

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

The Radial model does look good, but is it me, or does it have the "Hornby Horizontal Handrail knobs" issue? :scratchhead:

The appearance of the 700 and the observations about it's knobs made me have a check! ;)

Mike.

Certainly looks like it on the side view. Not so certain on the other one due to shadows.

On the upside, Hornby have declared it will have a 5-pole skew wound motor.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

What's this, horizontal handrail knobs? This is beginning to look like...

Knobgate !        :O

The answer is out there somewhere.

Probably in Margate.

:crazy:

• RMweb Premium

Not seen this before - 30584 with number on both smokebox and buffer beam https://www.flickr.com/photos/landrovermike/8381752358/in/photolist-dLEEXG-dLzacB-59zbwB-59zbMe-59DpVj-5JMFrR-cUdJPm-7z2Hx4-59BNVF-6hg2VL-59DSDA-59DpxY-59zbqa-56tJMw-7v2Z1k-59zbPV-59Dq6f-59zbE8-7z6uDY-5ad4oN-59DpNS-59zc8p-dLEH4S-dLz8wH-dLEEHs-dLEF5J-dLEGns-an3UP7-an16jt-7z2HBa-5adfH7-5ad45E-5a8Psn-5a91Bt-5adgaQ-5a8Pg8-5a92a8-5a9194-5adgLw-5ad5k9-5ad4Bw-5a912g-5adgVS-5adgrL-5adghL-5ad4N1-5ad4TN-dLEFwf-dLz9oV-dLEFcQ

30584 was painted plain black and got its BR number in April 1948 when it was numbered and lettered "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in Bulleid style. This was when it got the buffer beam number. obviously not painted out when the smoke box number plate was fitted.

Responding to the last(?) post on the Radials under the 58ft coaches thread I would dispute Maskelyne's assertion that 3488 (30583) was given new frames to the original pattern when purchased from the EKR. Surely if the SR had reframed it they would have given her similar frames as had been fitted in 1930 to 3125 & 3520, and given her double slide bars to boot. According to D L Bradley "At some period (since the 1917 sale by the LSWR) the frames around the coupled wheel boxes had been roughly, if effectively, strengthened by doubling the plating, the riveted patches having been left with razor sharp jagged edges because of the primitive equipment. The frames remain in this condition today.

Yes five different builders built the Radials which accounts for some detail differences between members of the class. And the three survivors all came from different ones - 30582 (3125) from R Stephenson; 30583 (3488) from Neilson and 30584 (3520) from Dubs.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Not seen this before - 30584 with number on both smokebox and buffer beam https://www.flickr.com/photos/landrovermike/8381752358/in/photolist-dLEEXG-dLzacB-59zbwB-59zbMe-59DpVj-5JMFrR-cUdJPm-7z2Hx4-59BNVF-6hg2VL-59DSDA-59DpxY-59zbqa-56tJMw-7v2Z1k-59zbPV-59Dq6f-59zbE8-7z6uDY-5ad4oN-59DpNS-59zc8p-dLEH4S-dLz8wH-dLEEHs-dLEF5J-dLEGns-an3UP7-an16jt-7z2HBa-5adfH7-5ad45E-5a8Psn-5a91Bt-5adgaQ-5a8Pg8-5a92a8-5a9194-5adgLw-5ad5k9-5ad4Bw-5a912g-5adgVS-5adgrL-5adghL-5ad4N1-5ad4TN-dLEFwf-dLz9oV-dLEFcQResponding to the last(?) post on the Radials under the 58ft coaches thread I would dispute Maskelyne's assertion that 3488 (30583) was given new frames to the original pattern when purchased from the EKR. Surely if the SR had reframed it they would have given her similar frames as had been fitted in 1930 to 3125 & 3520, and given her double slide bars to boot. According to D L Bradley "At some period (since the 1917 sale by the LSWR) the frames around the coupled wheel boxes had been roughly, if effectively, strengthened by doubling the plating, the riveted patches having been left with razor sharp jagged edges because of the primitive equipment. The frames remain in this condition today.Yes five different builders built the Radials which accounts for some detail differences between members of the class. And the three survivors all came from different ones - 30582 (3125) from R Stephenson; 30583 (3488) from Neilson and 30584 (3520) from Dubs.Chris Knowles-Thomas

While I would be surprised if Maskelyne is wrong, it can be physically checked as the loco is still in existence. Perhaps someone who has worked on the loco at the Bluebell can confirm one way or the other.

Edited by Unknown Warrior

Oh dear.....I resisted it as long as I could..... You might guess from my name I'm a great fan of the Adams 442T locos, so the advent of the Adams Radial was an occasion for much rejoicing.

But my main interest is LTSR and I knew the Radial was nowhere near the dimensions of the 'Tilbury Tank', at least the frame and wheel dimensions of the Class 37s and 79s.......but... somehow today I found the dimensions of the Class 1 locos on my workbench alongside the F.J Roach drawings for the Radial.......

Oh...buggrit!

At least there are only 36 locos in Class 1...............................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The interaction between East Kent Railway and the Southern regarding EKR No.5 is an interesting exercise in economics - the EKR Directors' Minutes from February 28, 1946 state that the Southern agreed to pay £120.00 for the Locomotive (£3,115.00 today). It left Shepherdswell on March 14th, arriving at Ashford on the 15th, before finally arriving at Eastleigh on April 24th.

On arrival at Eastleigh, No.5 was renumbered as 3488 and underwent a complete overhaul costing £1.638.00 (£42,500 today) - this included fitting a Drummond boiler in place of the Adams boiler, but whilst it is mentioned that "it has been discovered that the frames have been crudely, but effectively, strengthened with patches around the coupled wheel boxes". 3488 left Eastleigh for Exmouth Junction during December 1946.

The last noted livery at Shepherdswell was on August 10, 1937, when it was stated No.5 was painted green with yellow lettering and red coupling rods. It is known that in 1936, No.5 was completely repainted in the second shade of Southern Green, edged in black, the edging lined on the inside with a thin white line. The Cab front and rear were plain green, with the toolbox having a horizontal black edge top and bottom, with a white line on the inside edges. Further details of livery can be found in Oakwood Press' "The East Kent Railway Volume II"

As an aside to this, whilst No.5 was stored, awaiting disposal, one side was deep in shade with the other open to the elements. This led to extreme fading on one side, which is why reports on No.5's livery vary so much - it obviously depended on which side correspondents viewed the loco from during its last journey as to how they reported its condition.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Actually they are being decorated. (small full stop)

Anyone look at the video at the bottom, especially Dave Jones - of course they might have been dragging it past on a bit of cotton but it appears the 71 has reached a motored stage in development.