Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• RMweb Gold

I have removed part of the coal bunker slope to give more space for a decoder and then used odd scraps of styrene to flatten off the bunker.

I painted the styrene black this morning and once dry,  it will get real coal.

Its taken longer than expected as the rear cab wall angled in and I have not been able to remove it to refix so a bit of bending and clamping overnight  to let it set. Still not vertical but much better than it was.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

With the release of both Oxford and Hornby radials I was browsing to see if I could find any historical footage. I just happened to find this link to a Railway Roundabout film showing the Adams Radials at work in the first clip.  It's followed by a section on the T9's

Wonderful nostalgic stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti7W90RgP9g      Hope you'll enjoy it

Norm

• Like 1

Found  that only one of the four driving wheel contact strips on mine was making proper contact. Easy to bend out further if you undo the three screws holding the base plate in place as they are fitted to a separate plastic piece - just watch out that the three screws are all different lengths. Further issues reported on the wiring to the socket which will also affect DC users as half of the pick ups will not be contacted to the motor http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113633-Hornby-adams-radial-dcc-issues/

• RMweb Premium

Coal in a bunker or tender is rarely level! There should always be a dip in the coal to the front as the fireman shovels it out. <pedant>

I completely agree.  Mine isn't as I would ideally like it but it's better than plastic coal.  Maybe one day I'll do a better job of it.

Here's mine,  I put the coal rails back again as I think it looks better like that, but the rail-less option is still there. I cut a rectangle of thin plasticard to hold the coal using the moulded coal as a guide.  I was going to go for a half empty bunker  look, but perhaps Rick's loco and mine have just been coaled up....

post-4032-0-45488300-1471184977.jpg

I had to run a couple of Terriers instead while the glue was drying, but as we know they aren't the best for Lyme Regis trains..  :-)

• Like 2

My Google-fu is a bit weak right now – do we know what the next liveries are that Hornby have in the wings for further releases of the Radial?

30583 in BR lined black with late crests and 3125 in SR unlined black with sunshine lettering, on a side note, I just pre-ordered the Lyme Regis train pack.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick

Hornby did officially drop one livery for Olive green from the listings, after the dual production rivalry with the Oxford Radial, and with Oxford pressing ahead on other livery variants it looks less likely that Hornby will commit to other liveries at the moment. Nothing very partisan between the makers, I have both makers versions, so far finding the Oxford a better runner, but only a bit. Bar the underside of the boiler they look the same at normal distance, with the Oxford portraying the preserved locos wheels a lot better with black rims.

Stephen

It's a shame about the wheels on the Hornby model – it doesn't seem that easy to precisely paint in black edges – has anybody successfully done this and who would care to show a picture? Two part decal perhaps? However, looking at the locomotive on the Bluebell it appears to have black connecting rods as well.

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame about the wheels on the Hornby model – it doesn't seem that easy to precisely paint in black edges – has anybody successfully done this and who would care to show a picture? Two part decal perhaps? However, looking at the locomotive on the Bluebell it appears to have black connecting rods as well.

Thin nibbed black permanent marker pen?

• Like 1

Yes Indeed I have, pretty much added the black line to the rim or outer edge straight after doing the review, took a couple of hours to do it, but improves the look of the wheels.

29092463515_3d6576b5e4_c.jpg

• Like 11

I continued with the Radial trials this morning on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout at the Stables, Godlingston Manor, Swanage. The Hornby Radial romped away with 13 private owner wagons and ran like a sewing machine. I rostered the wagons in alphabetical order starting with an Alum Bay coloured sand wagon.

post-17621-0-95205300-1471880907_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yes Indeed I have, pretty much added the black line to the rim or outer edge straight after doing the review, took a couple of hours to do it, but improves the look of the wheels.

29092463515_3d6576b5e4_c.jpg

That looks great. Now the boiler bands so they look more black than white!  :mosking:

• Like 1

At least there are some black boiler bands on a white background. The white boiler bands on the original Tri-ang Hornby Flying Scotsman and the Railroad Tornado and Flying Scotsman look dreadful.

Yes very true. May I ask how you painted the wheels, it looks as if you were able to do them very precisely.

Actually looking at your Radial again it does look really good. Painting in the wheel rims in black really transforms the model and makes me wonder why Hornby didn't consider this essential. Cost I expect.

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Premium

Yes very true. May I ask how you painted the wheels, it looks as if you were able to do them very precisely.

Actually looking at your Radial again it does look really good. Painting in the wheel rims in black really transforms the model and makes me wonder why Hornby didn't consider this essential. Cost I expect.

My method of painting wheel rims was to put the loco on a rolling road, apply a tiny bit of power so the wheels rotated fairly slowly, almost imperceptibly slow, and hold a bow pen in a vice grip against the wheel. Sometimes took a few applications In between allowing each coat to dry but looked great in the end.

• Like 1

Chris Leigh's review of the Hornby Adams Radial has appeared on page 12 of the September Model Rail.  This has highlighted the problem of poor quality control for both the Oxford and the Hornby versions with the Hornby version slipping to a standstill light engine.

His review is in greater depth than Mike Wild's review in the August Hornby Magazine. The Hornby Magazine reviews all three Adams Radials so there is less chance of having a rogue model to review.

I agree that the Hornby version is better as it runs silently compared with the growl of the Oxford version. The Hornby version weighs 235 grams compared with 199 grams for the Oxford model. In the Radial trials at the stables in Godlingston Manor the Oxford Radial will pull seven coaches or 13 wagons which is about what the prototype could pull. I have not yet tested the haulage capacity of the Hornby model but from the video earlier in this topic I would expect the Hornby Radial would haul more than double this amount and I would think that would be worth mentioning in the review as it would show that the Hornby Radial could cope with a prototypical load effortlessly.

post-17621-0-97715800-1472140041_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Leigh's review of the Hornby Adams Radial has appeared on page 12 of the September Model Rail.  This has highlighted the problem of poor quality control for both the Oxford and the Hornby versions with the Hornby version slipping to a standstill light engine.

His review is in greater depth than Mike Wild's review in the August Hornby Magazine. The Hornby Magazine reviews all three Adams Radials so there is less chance of having a rogue model to review.

I agree that the Hornby version is better as it runs silently compared with the growl of the Oxford version. The Hornby version weighs 235 grams compared with 199 grams for the Oxford model. In the Radial trials at the stables in Godlingston Manor the Oxford Radial will pull seven coaches or 13 wagons which is about what the prototype could pull. I have not yet tested the haulage capacity of the Hornby model but from the video earlier in this topic I would expect the Hornby Radial would haul more than double this amount and I would think that would be worth mentioning in the review as it would show that the Hornby Radial could cope with a prototypical load effortlessly.

I don't have the mag to hand, but I did assess the haulage capacity of the Hornby Adams. From memory it took six or seven round the MR test track without any problem and as that was a more-than prototypical load, I didn't see the point in doing any more. I thought I said that in the review, unless it got cut at the last minute when the page was being proof-read.  The Oxford model was tested some months ago on my layout at home so there was no point in making comparisons. To be frank, I was somewhat fed up with the struggle to make the Hornby model work properly, having spent a lot of time trying to figure out just what the problem was.

Not sure how having three reduces the risk of getting a rogue one. I'm guessing the three must have come direct from Hornby, whereas my one was purchased from a local retailer. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

My first (rogue) Hornby Adams Radial hauled 32 mineral wagons plus van with ease while it actually was behaving itself.Its replacement is happy with two corridor Maunsells and a 64' BR suburban 2nd ( Replica) as on the Lyme Regis branch at the end of their working days.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All three of mine came from Hornby - same version (R3334), only one has had the washer filed down on the bogie and that has slightly better haulage than the other two.  I'm having a break from train modelling at the moment, so haven't got around to modifying the other two.

• Like 1

Just thought I would add my thoughts.......

I have just spent my Xmas 2015 money (from my wife) on a Hornby LSWR Adams as have given up on the Hattons 14xx.

Just to explain, I do not model OO or even British but I do have a showcase of various OO locos that bring back memories of my childhood spotting days. I remember the LSWR Radial from visits to the Bluebell in the late 1960's/70's

REALLY pleased with it .......... looks soooo much better than the Oxford ones I've seen.

For me the Hornby version is perfect ....

Further to the above, I now want to add the 'extra' pipes from the parts bag but the instructions seem a little vague as to exactly where they go .... does anyone have a clear photo of exactly where they fit? ... there doesn't seem to be a locating slot on the model .... unless I missed it !