Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone weathered one yet? I find weathering always brings a model to life! :)

Yes.  Hornby first release 30582 powder-weathered.  Woodland Scenics coal added.  Bachmann crew at work.  Coupler in use at both ends because these were not push-pull locos and ran round at each terminus.  The loco therefore has to lead the train which ever way it is running.

i-rHSRnBt-L.jpg

i-KVSm3wm-L.jpg

i-NtzRPK6-L.jpg

i-Gp2Rhtc-L.jpg

i-xhzmpcd-L.jpg

• Like 17

• 1 month later...

I have bought an R3333 Adams Radial 30584 in BR black with a cycling lion emblem now that Hattons have reduced the price to £82. I ran it for a few yards and it went very smoothly. The picture shows it with a goods train on the Purbeck Model Railway Group' layout at Swanage.

post-17621-0-70729500-1489770824_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Anyway on the Adams locos they are very close indeed on quality and the only issue separating them is the boiler daylight in practicable terms. the other differences are very slight, but I think the Oxford is better value, but only just by the price at present.

Visually the preserved version looks better with Oxford, the black rimmed wheels are more correct than the green right to the edge Hornby ones, and the paint shade looks better, Hornby's colour is a bit too bright.

The black versions look about the same, without them side by side it is not easy to tell which is which, unless you look hard for the daylight under the boiler at the front..

The Hornby pulls better, about a coach in a 6 set, I tested both with 8 assorted coaches, the limit of the track at present, both hauled them easily, but adding weight to the load on a flat truck beat the Oxford first. Considering their branch line status for most of their lives, both outhaul the real thing.

I left the Hornby on rollers to run in and the performance on slow speed has improved. On a feedback PWM controller it can manage a crawl now of about a foot a minute, about double on DC. The Oxford is slower on both controller types, but by only a whisker. The top speed is higher on the Hornby, and way beyond scale speed of course. The Oxfords are both slower.

They both dislike a sudden incline with no transition, the bogie and the trailing wheel lift the drivers, and they stop. the cure on them both is better track or slight easing of the rear wheels, and easing the "spring" of the bogie. A well laid flexy track going from level to 1:20 smoothly causes no problem with normal loads, but set track with a joint at the start of an equivalent climb, stops it dead on the joint area. It is not the set racks fault, it is the way it is laid. The loco on its own can climb about 1:15 or a bit more, but it will not take a load. Both behave about the same.

Hornby beat Oxford on flanges, the current ones are smaller. but Oxford seem to have altered it, as my two have different sizes, but neither as small as Hornby. But the Oxford ones are hardly Pizza cutters!, and run on all the track that I have, including some code 60 spiked, and C&L chaired track.

The back to back is correct on both makers offerings, but Chinese tolerances can creep in, so check yours before running just to be sure.

Anyway I am looking forward to the pre-war Southern liveried option from Hornby at the moment, and hopefully the pre-war coaches to go with it by then. The LSWR preserved version goes back to it's new owner today.

Stephen.

Sorry to dig this one out again, I just got 30583 in the Hornby set for my birthday.

I have two issues with it.

1, there seems insufficient clearance on the underside of the radial truck and this does indeed cause the drivers to be lifted up on the slightest track issue.

Oddly my 488 does not have this problem at all.

So when you say slight easing of the pony truck what does this involve, please?

2, Not strictly the loco but despite oiling the coaches in the set squeak horribly, any suggestions? (and no I don't want a mouse trap  :jester: )

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to dig this one out again, I just got 30583 in the Hornby set for my birthday.

https://youtu.be/fBLNRZT3MiM

I have two issues with it.

1, there seems insufficient clearance on the underside of the radial truck and this does indeed cause the drivers to be lifted up on the slightest track issue.

Oddly my 488 does not have this problem at all.

So when you say slight easing of the pony truck what does this involve, please?

2, Not strictly the loco but despite oiling the coaches in the set squeak horribly, any suggestions? (and no I don't want a mouse trap  :jester: )

The first thing I would do is remove the front bogie pivot a remove a few thou from the washer. Secondly ensure that the slot that radial truck runs in is free from any flash and thirdly add the brake-rigging.

The first thing I would do is remove the front bogie pivot a remove a few thou from the washer. Secondly ensure that the slot that radial truck runs in is free from any flash and thirdly add the brake-rigging.

Thanks, brake rigging is in place, there is enough play on the front bogie, seems to be the pony that is hard up against the chassis on occasions.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, brake rigging is in place, there is enough play on the front bogie, seems to be the pony that is hard up against the chassis on occasions.

The filing the washer down (or even removing it) on the front bogie will improve the running on uneven track no end - as the front of the loco lifting will mean it is pushing down hard on the rear trailing truck and lifting the front driving wheels off the track (the early releases of the T9's suffered from something similar).

Edited by toboldlygo

The filing the washer down (or even removing it) on the front bogie will improve the running on uneven track no end - as the front of the loco lifting will mean it is pushing down hard on the rear trailing truck and lifting the front driving wheels off the track (the early releases of the T9's suffered from something similar).

OK thanks, I'll give that a try

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Hornby model of 30582 from the GC show yesterday. I have long wanted a model of these handsome locomotives. First impression was positive. It looks great. However it's haulage capacity does not seem great. It struggled on a slight incline with a single coach train. Having been helped up the incline it is now seen arriving at my Skaleby West station.post-13478-0-81398200-1497810702_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Ever since the Oxford Rail one came out, I've been tempted by this little engine, but not enough to encourage me to buy one.  Then the Hornby version escaped intp the wild and I decided that that was too expensive....

Anyhow, I'd been flipping through a stack of old Railway Bylines and came across the May 2010 issue with 30584 on the cover, still wearing its unicycling lion in August 1960, 9 months before withdrawl. Then I found that Rails were offering the Hornby version (R3333) for 80 quid. So for a bit less than the going rate for the Oxford version I weakened and got R3333. It arrived today and its haulage capacity is in line with the prototypes 1P classification...

Its very much Rule 1 but it fits in very nicely with all my other Rule 1 (Crosti boilered 9f, P2, etc etc..) locos!

Perhaps I should get some RCTS or SLS headboards to go on them?

• Like 1

Ever since the Oxford Rail one came out, I've been tempted by this little engine, but not enough to encourage me to buy one.  Then the Hornby version escaped intp the wild and I decided that that was too expensive....

Anyhow, I'd been flipping through a stack of old Railway Bylines and came across the May 2010 issue with 30584 on the cover, still wearing its unicycling lion in August 1960, 9 months before withdrawl. Then I found that Rails were offering the Hornby version (R3333) for 80 quid. So for a bit less than the going rate for the Oxford version I weakened and got R3333. It arrived today and its haulage capacity is in line with the prototypes 1P classification...

Its very much Rule 1 but it fits in very nicely with all my other Rule 1 (Crosti boilered 9f, P2, etc etc..) locos!

Perhaps I should get some RCTS or SLS headboards to go on them?

When you say 1P I assume you mean it is only capable of pulling one carriage!

I found that the Hornby 488 model has terrific pulling power! 

But for some reason my 30583 by Hornby has far less tractive effort????

Also much lower on detail, no handbrake handles etc.

It can easily handle a four coach train but anything more is stretching it.

Surely both models should be the same?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I found that the Hornby 488 model has terrific pulling power! https://youtu.be/UxMwoqJJ_WY

Batch assembly still allows minor differences, it seems. Perhaps Post 613 has the answer?

I found that the Hornby 488 model has terrific pulling power! 

It might be worthwhile to 'juggle' the bogie and trailing wheels, and ensure that you don't have, in effect, a lifting problem, which will adversely affect the pulling power.  I had the same problem with BR version and just slipped a thinner washer onto the bogie, which seems to have cured it!  

• 2 weeks later...

It might be worthwhile to 'juggle' the bogie and trailing wheels, and ensure that you don't have, in effect, a lifting problem, which will adversely affect the pulling power.  I had the same problem with BR version and just slipped a thinner washer onto the bogie, which seems to have cured it!

This might seem a dumb question, but how do you detach the front bogie from the chassis? I have removed the body and the plastic chassis base plate, but cannot see how the front bogie can be removed so I can adjust the spring or remove/replace the washer. The Hornby service sheet doesn't help as it seems to be full of errors.

I find regular running of both makes (I have two models from each manufacturer), allows the models to full to bits over time. Why, I have had steps, buffers, pipes drop off so far and now one of those tap like things on the side of a smokebox has disappeared.

Did it drop off before or after I vacuum cleaned the rail room? No idea, but I am gently sifting my way through all the dust of an emptied vacuum bag!

I hold little hope of finding it, so where can I buy some LSWR fittings and castings???? 

Roxey or South Eastern Finecast  might be able to help with some items. Lanarkshire for buffers possibly.

Dave Ellis of SEF is sometimes able to offer parts of kits on enquiry, but that might be a your mileage might vary, but a polite email never hurts.