SWD U Drive 47 Loksound 4 - auto uncoupling feature

tractor_37260

Hi all

After reading some good reviews I recently purchased the latest SWD U Drive Class 47.  It's a vast improvement on their earlier 47 versions, out of the box it drives and sounds really good, but with a small adjustment of CV 5 & 6 it can be made to sound like a loco working hard over a short run. It has a spool down feature on F8 - this immediately drops the sound back to idle from any speed together with a nice subtle turbo spool down sound. A dynamic "braking" effect is also present, provided F5 is left on, brake applications can be heard as the loco slows down. 

However the icing on the cake for me is the shunt/uncoupling mode on F15. With the loco stopped and idling, pressing F15 wil cause the loco to release the brakes (provided F5 is on) set back slightly and then then pull forward a short distance and reapply the brakes, just perfect for uncoupling Kadee's at a push off a button, that's provided you've stopped over the magnet in the first place !

After some experimenting, I've found that this very useful uncoupling feature can be added to an existing Lok 4 by the end user.

In my case I've successfully added it to one of Bif's WH 37 Lok 4's, operated via F15 ( but it could be added to any other spare F key if desired using a different CV)

So for anyone wishing to add/try this feature on a Loksound 4 , this is how to do it.

Firstly you have to enable the coupling function on F15 - set INDEX CV's   CV31=16  CV32=3  then set CV332 = 8  don't forget to reset both INDEX CV's to 0 before the next step, this is important !

Next set CV 246 = 5 (this is the speed setting) depending on the existing decoder settings this can be adjusted  - but somewhere between 1 and 5 should prove suitable.

Set CV 247 = 244 and CV248 = 150 (these 2 CV's adjust the movement forward and back in seconds), again they can be adjusted up or down as required.

In use, once stopped over the magnet, don't change the loco direction. leave it as stopped. press F15 (if set to momentary action hold it ON until the movement is complete) the loco will set back slightly, uncouple, and then pull forward and stop. Also worth noting that the lights don't change over, the markers/HL remaining on at the front when setting back - as per the real thing.

A great feature to use, ideal for shunting or running round at a terminus, etc.  It may also work with traditional hook couplings using a suitable ramp.

Any questions, please ask

Regards

Ken

Firstly you have to enable the coupling function on F15 - set INDEX CV's   CV31=16  CV32=3  then set CV332 = 8  don't forget to reset both INDEX CV's to 0 before the next step, this is important !

Hi Ken,

Very interesting, would love to try this!

I understand the instructions, but would prefer to use something other than F15. Can you give an example of how to set up for other Functions, please?

John

Hi Ken,

Very interesting, would love to try this!

I understand the instructions, but would prefer to use something other than F15. Can you give an example of how to set up for other Functions, please?

John

Hi John

The easiest way is for you to nominate the spare/unsued F key you wish to use it on.  It then only requires one Indexed CV change to enable your selected F key, the other CV's (as above), remaining the same.

HTH

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

Hi John

The easiest way is for you to nominate the spare/unsued F key you wish to use it on.  It then only requires one Indexed CV change to enable your selected F key, the other CV's (as above), remaining the same.

HTH

Ken

Thanks . . . but how do you nominate the F-key, please?

John

Just choose which spare/unused F key you want the uncoupling feature to work on, and I'll advise the CV setting require to enable it..

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

Apologies for the slow reply . . . F18 is free on the projects I have on my locos. Advice would be much appreciated!

John

Hi Ken,

Apologies for the slow reply . . . F18 is free on the projects I have on my locos. Advice would be much appreciated!

John

Hi John

To use F18 first set the INDEX CV's -  CV31 = 16  CV32 = 3  THEN set  CV380 = 8  -  reset both INDEX CV's back to = 0 

The other 3 CV's that control the speed and movements remain the same as in my first post - their values adjusted to suit if necessary.

HTH

Ken

Hi John

To use F18 first set the INDEX CV's -  CV31 = 16  CV32 = 3  THEN set  CV380 = 8  -  reset both INDEX CV's back to = 0 

The other 3 CV's that control the speed and movements remain the same as in my first post - their values adjusted to suit if necessary.

HTH

Ken

Many thanks!

John

• 3 months later...
Guest G567281

I tried this with a Lokprogrammer. Just tick the box and away you go works with great effect thanks for the heads up.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I tried this but it did not work for me. Could you please walk me through the steps.

Kindest regards

Alan

Hi Richard,

I tried this but it did not work for me. Could you please walk me through the steps.

Kindest regards

Alan

All the info necessary is in the above posts, including a "step by step" in post  #1 which adds this feature to Key F15   If you wish to add it to a different F Key - different CV's will have to be used, post # 9 details the changes to add it to Key F18 as an example.

Guest G567281

All the info necessary is in the above posts, including a "step by step" in post  #1 which adds this feature to Key F15   If you wish to add it to a different F Key - different CV's will have to be used, post # 9 details the changes to add it to Key F18 as an example.

Many thanks "tractor_37260", I will give it another go later today. Kindest regards, Alan

Guest G567281

Hi John

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for this and your feedback. I have now completed a 37, 40 and 55 following a seniors moment where I forgot to map the function.

Kindest regards

Alan

Hi all

After reading some good reviews I recently purchased the latest SWD U Drive Class 47.  It's a vast improvement on their earlier 47 versions, out of the box it drives and sounds really good, but with a small adjustment of CV 5 & 6 it can be made to sound like a loco working hard over a short run. It has a spool down feature on F8 - this immediately drops the sound back to idle from any speed together with a nice subtle turbo spool down sound. A dynamic "braking" effect is also present, provided F5 is left on, brake applications can be heard as the loco slows down. 

However the icing on the cake for me is the shunt/uncoupling mode on F15. With the loco stopped and idling, pressing F15 wil cause the loco to release the brakes (provided F5 is on) set back slightly and then then pull forward a short distance and reapply the brakes, just perfect for uncoupling Kadee's at a push off a button, that's provided you've stopped over the magnet in the first place !

After some experimenting, I've found that this very useful uncoupling feature can be added to an existing Lok 4 by the end user.

In my case I've successfully added it to one of Bif's WH 37 Lok 4's, operated via F15 ( but it could be added to any other spare F key if desired using a different CV)

So for anyone wishing to add/try this feature on a Loksound 4 , this is how to do it.

Next set CV 246 = 5 (this is the speed setting) depending on the existing decoder settings this can be adjusted  - but somewhere between 1 and 5 should prove suitable.

Set CV 247 = 244 and CV248 = 150 (these 2 CV's adjust the movement forward and back in seconds), again they can be adjusted up or down as required.

In use, once stopped over the magnet, don't change the loco direction. leave it as stopped. press F15 (if set to momentary action hold it ON until the movement is complete) the loco will set back slightly, uncouple, and then pull forward and stop. Also worth noting that the lights don't change over, the markers/HL remaining on at the front when setting back - as per the real thing.

A great feature to use, ideal for shunting or running round at a terminus, etc.  It may also work with traditional hook couplings using a suitable ramp.

Any questions, please ask

Regards

Ken

does any one know if this feature works on loksound ver 3

It doesn't exist on LokSound V3 or V3.5.

It exists for Zimo (from at least 2008), LokSound V4 and LokPilot V4, Lenz "plus" decoders, CT (from before 2008) and probably a few others.

thanks for the info

are they the same cv's for the zimo and lenz decoder or do you know the cv's for the zimo and lenz decoder please

I've been following this with great interest, and managed to get 1 of my 3 LS4's to perform the dance. (Pauliebanger tells me that Zimo call theirs the 'Coupler Waltz' as they're from Vienna !)

My 1 success is on a recent LS4 re-blow by Howes for Class 23 Baby Deltic which is in a Heljan 23.

The Howes file has Aux 1 on F14, and Aux 2 on F15, which I want to keep for future use for Cab Lighting. As there was nothing on F16, and would be visible on my ECoS 50200 screen, following what Ken had done and noting how he modified the CV's for different F-keys, I deduced that the CV's are placed 16 digits apart, so I tried CV348=8 for F16, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks to all for the 'Heads up' on this feature.

I wondered if there was further room for modification...

My Class 23 sits still, with it's magnificent half Deltic humming away nicely, then when you engage the F16 key, the loco moves in reverse for the given distance/time, THEN the Prime Mover ramps up ! - which to me doesn't seem right, I would like to get the PM to ramp up, THEN the loco reverse a bit. - The rest of the shuffle is perfect, the stop, change direction, move forward, stop, engine settle back to tickover. All without the lights changing ends, perfect!

And suggestions, folks?

Regards

Alan.

• Like 1

I've been following this with great interest, and managed to get 1 of my 3 LS4's to perform the dance. (Pauliebanger tells me that Zimo call theirs the 'Coupler Waltz' as they're from Vienna !)

My 1 success is on a recent LS4 re-blow by Howes for Class 23 Baby Deltic which is in a Heljan 23.

The Howes file has Aux 1 on F14, and Aux 2 on F15, which I want to keep for future use for Cab Lighting. As there was nothing on F16, and would be visible on my ECoS 50200 screen, following what Ken had done and noting how he modified the CV's for different F-keys, I deduced that the CV's are placed 16 digits apart, so I tried CV348=8 for F16, and it worked perfectly.

My Class 23 sits still, with it's magnificent half Deltic humming away nicely, then when you engage the F16 key, the loco moves in reverse for the given distance/time, THEN the Prime Mover ramps up ! - which to me doesn't seem right, I would like to get the PM to ramp up, THEN the loco reverse a bit. - The rest of the shuffle is perfect, the stop, change direction, move forward, stop, engine settle back to tickover. All without the lights changing ends, perfect!

And suggestions, folks?

Regards

Alan.

I have got two of my locos to do it but two wont they are all the same sound chip loksound version 4 

can any help on the two that wont work please

some are howes sound and some are swd sound projects if that helps

And suggestions, folks?

Regards

Alan.

Alan

Good job working out the CV's to use this on F16.  

So far I've only added this feature to one of Bif's WH 37/4's and it suffers with exactly the same issue, the locos moves back and then forward and stops, THEN it ramps up and back down again to idle !!  Not ideal.  I suspect it's to do with how the sound file is set up to start with.   Got any comments on this little aspect Bif ? 

Using this feature on the SWD U-DRIVE 47, it behaves more as you'd expect, it ramps up a little, brakes blow off then it moves back / forward and then drops back to idle.

Regards

Ken

I have got two of my locos to do it but two wont they are all the same sound chip loksound version 4 

can any help on the two that wont work please

some are howes sound and some are swd sound projects if that helps

Are you sure they are all V4 fitted ?  As mentioned above, thus feature is NOT available on the earlier V3 / V3.5 Loksounds.

Ken,

I've known about this feature of the V4 for a while but didn't realise just how useful it is until someone showed me recently. I have been experimenting with the settings in my 26 & 67 (the first locos that came to hand), with a view to rolling this out to my whole range. As you can appreciate that is quite an undertaking.

From memory neither the 26 nor 67 revved up inappropriately when uncoupling and did exactly what it says on the tin, so I'm not sure why it would do it on the WH37. I'll try it when I get a minute. My sounds incorporate a feature to allow users with centre-off controllers to change direction without producing unwanted brake releases or brake dumps and I suspect it might be related to that, but the 26 and 67 have that too so I'm not sure. If I get to the bottom of it I'll publish some suggested settings.

Bif