New Farish Power Station relief buildings.-Worth the ?.

Mr Pix

Hi,

My subscription copy of Model Rail Summer issue 225 arrived today, in the 'next issue' page is information that issue 226 "on sale August 25" is scheduled to include:

Paul A. Lunn - 3 power station layouts and "...a novel way to build miniature cooling towers"

Peter Marriott "...how to use Bachmann Scenecraft's new power station buildings"

Might be worth taking a look at if you're still contemplating things.

Regards, Gerry.

Hi folks,  My piece on cooling towers, whilst having N gauge layouts, in terms of the structure is for OO modellers, given there's nothing available in that scale. That said it might be transferable to N if you can find suitable 'raw' materials.  Hope this helps. Kind regards Paul

I want some cooling towers to stick on my backscene, either flat pictures or v low relief on card.

I think stick on buildings, chimneys, trees or pylons would maybe be a good product someone could produce - or a template to draw round or a stencil, something to help those like myself who are not very artistic!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the US approach of modelling large industrial facilities. Model the rail conections and sidings but leave the very large buildings offscene or depcited on the backscene. Even in N you could not model most power stations to scale unless you have a large garage - and then the cooling towers would be so large as to dominate everything else.  The problem is that modern power stations don't offer much operating potential - MGR trains and that's about it.

Worth the money?  Not for me as the towers are underscale and not particularly detailed.  But its very subjective.  I buy ready-made buildings when they fit my modelling objectives.  I am modelling the GCR and I couldn't build better London extension stations than Mr. Bachman...

Guys

None of the power stations here had cooling towers Longannet Cockenzie and Methil the latter two are long gone but I think Methil could offer a solution as it was probably one of the smallest power stations.

Longannet which has just been closed thus year could offer more interesting workings if modelled after 2008 when Alloa line was reopened trains which were not MGRs I have seen or known to have passed Longannet signal box are as follows

Steam and diesel hauled Railtours including A4 class 37,47 haulage

Diverted container train from Aberdeen DRS class 66

Oil in BP green tanks Colas class 56,66

Chalk slurry in silver bullets EWS/DBS class 66

As well as engineers trains

So something for everybody there

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I want some cooling towers to stick on my backscene, either flat pictures or v low relief on card.

I think stick on buildings, chimneys, trees or pylons would maybe be a good product someone could produce - or a template to draw round or a stencil, something to help those like myself who are not very artistic!

Tim

Well said that man! Maybe I'm not the only one who finds coal power stations an impressive addition to the real landscape? I always look out for Drax when travelling on the ECML, but Cottam (just after Newark northbound on the right) looks brilliant with the sun on it; trouble is, it's only visible for a short time.

Archived