Canadian Pacific 1970s

This gondola has traces of the livery it would have carried in the '70s (CP Rail and a multimark)

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1892234

this has a better red multimark livery

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1567034

some would have been in this livery

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3834796

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=869417

This is too modern

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1005351

Adrian

Older rivetted gondolas with fishbelly sides would be suitable too

Like these in block lettering - http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp338930jpa.jpg

Or this one freshly repainted in Action Red - http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp338966agh.jpg 

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Just to go back briefly to CP's Spans The World herald, a look through Nicholas Morant's Canadian Pacific reveals surprisingly few freight cars - of almost any era - with that herald visible.

(CN's reply, of course, was the rather cheeky Serves All Canada - CP had no lines on Newfoundland!)

• Like 1

Just to go back briefly to CP's Spans The World herald, a look through Nicholas Morant's Canadian Pacific reveals surprisingly few freight cars - of almost any era - with that herald visible.

(CN's reply, of course, was the rather cheeky Serves All Canada - CP had no lines on Newfoundland!)

Having had chance  to look at Jim Liitle's excellent, in depth article on CP 40' steel boxcars in October 94 RMC, there were only 4750 cars boxcars that could have had the "Spans the World" herald, all 10'6" interior height with 6' doors built in 1947-49, out of a total fleet of 45,536 40' steel boxcars. Although forming a little over 1 in 10 of the fleet, you might expect to see a few more pictures.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Having had chance  to look at Jim Liitle's excellent, in depth article on CP 40' steel boxcars in October 94 RMC, there were only 4750 cars boxcars that could have had the "Spans the World" herald, all 10'6" interior height with 6' doors built in 1947-49, out of a total fleet of 45,536 40' steel boxcars. Although forming a little over 1 in 10 of the fleet, you might expect to see a few more pictures.

Nick

An excellent point, Nick - I hadn't realised that they were a full 10%, as they certainly didn't seem to show up that often.

Another odd feature of Nicholas Morant's pictures is how relatively infrequently single-sheathed ('outside-braced') boxcars show up; they're certainly there from time to time, but only in ones and twos, while I remember them being pretty common in freights across the prairies, often in runs of five or six during harvest-time.

Apparently Morant wasn't particularly interested in the make-up of the trains he photographed unless he was following specific instructions from the publicity wallahs, so in general his pictures should provide a good snapshot (sorry!) of the true situation at the time of the photo.

Cheers guys for the info here is some progress sofar. I have decided to bite the bullet and convert my CSX GP40-2 into a dummy unit without touching the existing Bachmann internals but dont know how or where to get a dummy inside to plonk a bodyshell onto. Thinking maybe put an action red arrow livery bodyshell on it need to do my research first then acquire the correct shell 2nd hand

By the 70s though a fair number of that 4750 would have been wrecked or repainted which might affect it?

Point taken, but the Morant photos cover the period from 1944 to 1981 when he was working as CP's Special Photographer (what a wonderful title and wonderful job too!), and those boxcars don't show up that frequently even when they were new.

A minor mystery!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been looking at getting a CP engineering train manifest of sorts worked out to run my ATSF Plymouth Switcher with as its collecting dust still want to keep it CP consist just the power wont be but i can sometimes swap it out for running sessions. So would a CP enginnering train manifest be lots of gondolas, boxcars and some flatcars possibly a crane with a caboose on the end i suppose which means i can get some arrow liveried early CP Rail wagons to make a consist

Been looking at getting a CP engineering train manifest of sorts worked out to run my ATSF Plymouth Switcher with as its collecting dust still want to keep it CP consist just the power wont be but i can sometimes swap it out for running sessions. So would a CP enginnering train manifest be lots of gondolas, boxcars and some flatcars possibly a crane with a caboose on the end i suppose which means i can get some arrow liveried early CP Rail wagons to make a consist

All fairly recent pictures, but..

Ballast is often carried in hoppers:

post-206-0-38516600-1438959868.jpg

or dump cars:

post-206-0-36714300-1438960046.jpg

CP crane and work train:

post-206-0-69220500-1438960604.jpg

post-206-0-89075800-1438960551.jpg

post-206-0-49259500-1438960565.jpg

post-206-0-63810900-1438960615.jpg

post-206-0-30536100-1438960538.jpg

post-206-0-51034800-1438960582.jpg

post-206-0-25876600-1438960594.jpg

Note that there is no caboose/accomodation on this one since the site is easily accessible by road (and, being modern, wouldn't have a caboose anyway).

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

The first two car types in Adrian's post (ballast hoppers and side dump cars) tend to be built or converted especially for maintenance of way. The gondolas and flats would be ex- revenue stock. In the 70s there would still be a fair number of older cars in script or block lettering around.

Nick

• 7 months later...

Project has come back on the workbench but cheers for the info supplied. Got the CSX out today found more screws id missed to dissasemble the metal frame them spent a couple of minutes desoldering the wires from the bogies then spent an age putting it back together. Now on the lookout for a bodyshell to fit it in either maroon or the early CP action red arrow livery. Havnt bought much stock in a while apart from a vehicle here n there for scenics but may get back into it now summer is approaching

• 1 year later...

Bought myself a CP GP35 by Bachmann with DCC onboard from the American show at Crewe earlier in the year but have been trying to get it to stop sounding so rough and loud. Was also at the show on the lookout for similar matched coaches to my baggage car to no luck plus it somehow needs the coupling lower to work with the locomotives. Been on the lookout of late for a CP flatcar to put my recently acquired Volvo digger onto to mimic a chained down one going through on its way to be swapped out of the consist into an engineers train to go up into the snowbound areas of Canada for ice clearance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking back at your cylindrical hoppers they may be too late if you are still looking at the 1970s... Have a look at this page for some details.  The hoppers were a sop to the railways at the fixed grain rate that had endured for so long, finally removed in the 1990s and the cause of the contraction of the rural lines.

https://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=2077

You can still see all the grain liveries daily; the multimark (black/white, circle/arrow) is very rare as those wagons are mostly rust colour now!

• 2 months later...

Anyone know the differences between a GP40-2 (CSX in my case) and a GP35 (Canadian Pacific in my case) as they look so similar its hard to tell the difference when looking at the body shells. Another question Canadian Pacific wise but any suggestions on a similar sized shunter to the SW1200/1500 in the 70s early 80s the Plymouth switcher in ATSF yellow is a stopgap as I only run that when I have the southern pacific boxcars out on the layout with the CSX machine ( I know SP is UP). The F7 or what I think it is still doesn't run so well was hoping to use it when id finished my 4-5 car CP passenger train but it hasn't run in a while and a question can you get glazing for it as the windows are just empty spaces (see photo) I feel it needs a few details added to it to bring it alive

post-24282-0-37009600-1504951397_thumb.jpg

Anyone know the differences between a GP40-2 (CSX in my case) and a GP35 (Canadian Pacific in my case) as they look so similar its hard to tell the difference when looking at the body shells. Another question Canadian Pacific wise but any suggestions on a similar sized shunter to the SW1200/1500 in the 70s early 80s the Plymouth switcher in ATSF yellow is a stopgap as I only run that when I have the southern pacific boxcars out on the layout with the CSX machine ( I know SP is UP). The F7 or what I think it is still doesn't run so well was hoping to use it when id finished my 4-5 car CP passenger train but it hasn't run in a while and a question can you get glazing for it as the windows are just empty spaces (see photo) I feel it needs a few details added to it to bring it alive

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

The SW1200RS would still have been the core of the CPR shunting fleet in the 1970's.  Rapido Trains is doing them, the order deadline is September 15th.  Not affiliated with Rapido, but their product page including a "master class" on the SW1200RS is here: https://rapidotrains.com/ho-gmd-sw1200rs/

In terms of your spotting question, GP's of that era are visualy very similar, a lot of the differences are Mechanical.  I am completely uses loco spotting to be able to tell you what type of locomotive a unit is without looking up the road number when out photographing.  What i can say, is that the -35's built in the 1960's used a 567 prime mover and generated 2,500HP, and a number of railroads were trading in first gen cowl units on them, so they sometimes had older style trucks or even alco trucks.  The -40-2's built in the 1970's had 645 prime movers at 3,000hp.

As for your F, do you know who the manufacturer is?  That will go a long way to knowing if an aftermarket set of windows is available that should fit it or not.

Hope that helps some.

Stephen

The SW1200RS would still have been the core of the CPR shunting fleet in the 1970's.  Rapido Trains is doing them, the order deadline is September 15th.  Not affiliated with Rapido, but their product page including a "master class" on the SW1200RS is here: https://rapidotrains.com/ho-gmd-sw1200rs/

In terms of your spotting question, GP's of that era are visualy very similar, a lot of the differences are Mechanical.  I am completely uses loco spotting to be able to tell you what type of locomotive a unit is without looking up the road number when out photographing.  What i can say, is that the -35's built in the 1960's used a 567 prime mover and generated 2,500HP, and a number of railroads were trading in first gen cowl units on them, so they sometimes had older style trucks or even alco trucks.  The -40-2's built in the 1970's had 645 prime movers at 3,000hp.

As for your F, do you know who the manufacturer is?  That will go a long way to knowing if an aftermarket set of windows is available that should fit it or not.

Hope that helps some.

Stephen

Hi Stephen it cane 2nd hand from a Canadian model shop in Calgary ages ago and there are marking on the bottom 42005 but that's about it. It also came with a single generator unit also do you know if there is a gp40-2 body shell for sale anywhere to fit a Bachmann model for CP in the maroon scheme or early action red arrow livery

Anyone know the differences between a GP40-2 (CSX in my case) and a GP35 (Canadian Pacific in my case) as they look so similar its hard to tell the difference when looking at the body shells.

A GP40-2 has three equally-sized radiator fans at the end of the long hood (we'll call it the back of the loco for the purposes of this discussion). A GP35 also has three fans, but they are large-small-large. Looking from the front of the loco, a GP40-2 normally has a sight glass opening on the left side of the long hood, approximately under the leading radiator fan (this distinguishes it from a GP40). Both a GP35 or a GP40-2 could have dynamic brakes fitted - the bulge and fan in the middle of the long hood - or not, depending on the railroad.

Adrian

Hi Stephen it cane 2nd hand from a Canadian model shop in Calgary ages ago and there are marking on the bottom 42005 but that's about it. It also came with a single generator unit also do you know if there is a gp40-2 body shell for sale anywhere to fit a Bachmann model for CP in the maroon scheme or early action red arrow livery

Hi James,

There are a couple of things, CPR never owned any GP40-2's, and even if they had, by the time it was in production, they would have been delivered in Action Red Multimark not Maroon&Grey as CPR switched to the Action Red/Multimark in 1968, and the GP40-2 entered production in 1972.

I'll take a dig about and see if i can figure out what that FUnit is and if there is glazing to fit it.

Stephen

CPR never owned any GP40-2's.

Almost, but not quite. They had a very small batch of ex-Boston and Maine ones, numbered 4650-4657. Some of them have gone on to leasing companies, but it looks as if a few are still around.

Almost, but not quite. They had a very small batch of ex-Boston and Maine ones, numbered 4650-4657. Some of them have gone on to leasing companies, but it looks as if a few are still around.

Fair enough, i never actually checked if they had bought any second hand units, i only checked my list of original purchassors.  I don't think i've ever seen a CP GP40-2, but if they only had 8 second hand units, that would be a bit of a rare beast.

Stephen

Fair enough, i never actually checked if they had bought any second hand units, i only checked my list of original purchassors. I don't think i've ever seen a CP GP40-2, but if they only had 8 second hand units, that would be a bit of a rare beast.

Stephen

I think CP only acquired them in the 21st century, though they are an opportunity for the weatherer.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2244758

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 1