Canadian Pacific 1970s

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Nick on a wagon subject picked this up cheap at a Crewe heritage center show but have no idea what it is. It dosnt look boxcar to me and i have no idea on what it is but for a cheap buy its not bad needs some fixing then test weathering and maybe something else

post-24282-0-80338300-1506261914_thumb.jpegpost-24282-0-92796600-1506261922_thumb.jpeg

A quick weathering question what sort of grime would you expect on the truck frames and what Humbrol or Tamiya number would you recommend to paint it in. Also another thing where would I acquire another push fit truck from fix the other side to be able to run it on the layout bought it as a weathering test bed to practice on but it looks so cool so decided to fix it up and run it on the layout. I have some SP boxcars in a box I haven't run in a while although from previous info in the topic I could use them as leased in for grain alongside the cylindrical hoppers or I might swap them for CP cylindrical hoppers or some more CP boxcars or other equipment haven't decided yet alongside some Vermont liveried boxcars

• 1 month later...

Got some questions on autoracks to consider getting one as a sort of cameo or a consist passing through as I have been collecting here and there Oxford Die-cast vintage American vehicles.

1) Have considered getting one or 2 and doing heavy weathering rusty style was this ever prototypical to run the open sided version of the era with hardly any paint tons of rust or did they scrap them before they ever got this far gone in service

2) What sort of vehicles would go well on one or 2 of these autoracks for the changeover period from maroon to action red in Canada

3) Did they ever operate these within a passenger train consist or was this a more modern concept outside my era

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know autoracks only ever operated in freight service apart from isolated examples such as AutoTrain to Florida.   There was an article about the evolution of autoracks in Trains Magazine I think about a year ago but my back copies aren't accessible. at the moment.

Jamie

I would agree with Jamie, the big auto racks only ever ran in freight trains, the Auto-train cars were enclosed ex-CN cars like this http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cn9501&o=cn

I doubt that the open racks were ever really rusted out, as they were expensive assets used to carry high value cargo. I've seen open CP racks in the 80sthat were still in pretty good condition but very faded. This one was pictured in the 80s

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cp540150&o=cprail

As to what type of automobile they would carry, because autoracks are pooled between railroads, they could carry any current model of auto for your period.

All the best

Nick

• 3 months later...

Been to the Crewe Heritage Centre's toy and train fair today lots of nice things to buy there but didnt end up buying much. One trader lost out on a sale and they didnt want to budge on a loco but a fun day out.

First purchase was this Life Like trains thrall door box car in AP Lumber Produucts scheme. If anyone can suggest how I go about changing the couplings on it

post-24282-0-02247300-1520702410_thumb.jpg

post-24282-0-26543400-1520702592_thumb.jpg

Then I found this Canadian grain hopper by Bachmann with this also being a bargain it was hard not to pass it up

post-24282-0-05262200-1520702428_thumb.jpg

I doubt the grain hopper or the box car are right for the era but its hard not to pass on things at low bargain prices but we shall see what else i acquire tomorrow at the Macclesfield model rail show

Edited by jamessolomon

The all door boxcar is perfect for the 70s, they were introduced in the late 60s but began to be replaced in the 80s with centerbeam flats when lumber mills started to plastic wrap their product. http://vanderheide.ca/blog/lumber-loads/

I would suggest that you cut the couplers mounts off the trucks and either glue or screw Kadees to the floor of the car

post-7218-0-26164500-1520711270_thumb.jpg

The grain cars were introduced in the 70s

http://tracksidetreasure.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/canadas-cylindrical-grain-cars.html

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

The all door boxcar is perfect for the 70s, they were introduced in the late 60s but began to be replaced in the 80s with centerbeam flats when lumber mills started to plastic wrap their product. http://vanderheide.ca/blog/lumber-loads/

I would suggest that you cut the couplers mounts off the trucks and either glue or screw Kadees to the floor of the car

attachicon.gif20180310_194130.jpg

The grain cars were introduced in the 70s

http://tracksidetreasure.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/canadas-cylindrical-grain-cars.html

Nick

Will give it a go when i have more gear ordered i also didn't think the hopper was 70s purely because of the scheme it was carrying thought the scheme was a later one

Been to the Crewe Heritage Centre's toy and train fair today lots of nice things to buy there but didnt end up buying much. One trader lost out on a sale and they didnt want to budge on a loco but a fun day out.

Then I found this Canadian grain hopper by Bachmann with this also being a bargain it was hard not to pass it up

attachicon.gifSAM_5761.JPG

I doubt the grain hopper or the box car are right for the era but its hard not to pass on things at low bargain prices but we shall see what else i acquire tomorrow at the Macclesfield model rail show

The grain hopper dates from about 1981. If you really get picky, there are a couple of issues with it. First, the Bachmann models are of the 4650 cu. ft. hoppers (stepped ends) rather than the Canadian 4550 cu. ft. grain hoppers (straight ends). Second, with an ALNX reporting mark this was a CN-allocated car - the CP-allocated cars had ALPX reporting marks. Despite this, it is a nice car and accurately decorated.

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight's short running session

A shot from on end of the layout

post-24282-0-88855000-1523301812_thumb.jpg

Here we see GP7 8409 posing for the camera on grain duties

post-24282-0-42359200-1523301840_thumb.jpg

post-24282-0-68649900-1523301853_thumb.jpg

GP35 8205 passes through on boxcar duties

post-24282-0-58838100-1523301889_thumb.jpg

post-24282-0-03223500-1523301920_thumb.jpg

FP9A 1401 passes through deadheading back the depot

post-24282-0-63980500-1523301941_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

CP has had two 1401s, the first was bought new and was an FP7A. It was traded to GMDD for a new GP35 in 1965. The second was an FP9A bought from VIA in 1998 and refurbished for the Royal Canadian Pacific train.

Your model is an FP7 - no small louvres between the cab door and first porthole. This site is very good for CP rosters http://www.mountainrailway.com/CP%201400%20Page.htm

All the best

Nick

A good site for Canadian freight car information is http://www.nakina.net/cdn/cdn.html. This has been put together from old editions of the ORER - the Official Register of Railroad Equipment - which is (or was: I think it's all online nowadays) a huge book listing all of the freight cars in interchange service in North America. If you look at the entry for the CP540000-540099 series, which you'll find here, you can see that they were bi-level auto-racks with an interior length of 89'1", built by National Steel Car (a big Canadian manufacturer), and that they appeared in the ORER - essentially a proxy for "were in service between" - between April 1964 and April 2003.

It'd be quite cumbersome to dig out all of a fleet as large as CP's from this site, although if you want to be really hardcore you can generally get copies of the ORER on eBay or other online sources - I have a 1995 copy - and these list the entire fleet on a company-by-company basis.

One thing when studying photos: the actual rack structure is always separate from the vehicle it rides on, so make sure you're looking at photos from the appropriate period because by 2003 I'd bet that an auto-rack car looked very different indeed to the way it did in 1964.

Jim

A good site for Canadian freight car information is http://www.nakina.net/cdn/cdn.html. This has been put together from old editions of the ORER - the Official Register of Railroad Equipment - which is (or was: I think it's all online nowadays) a huge book listing all of the freight cars in interchange service in North America. If you look at the entry for the CP540000-540099 series, which you'll find here, you can see that they were bi-level auto-racks with an interior length of 89'1", built by National Steel Car (a big Canadian manufacturer), and that they appeared in the ORER - essentially a proxy for "were in service between" - between April 1964 and April 2003.

It'd be quite cumbersome to dig out all of a fleet as large as CP's from this site, although if you want to be really hardcore you can generally get copies of the ORER on eBay or other online sources - I have a 1995 copy - and these list the entire fleet on a company-by-company basis.

One thing when studying photos: the actual rack structure is always separate from the vehicle it rides on, so make sure you're looking at photos from the appropriate period because by 2003 I'd bet that an auto-rack car looked very different indeed to the way it did in 1964.

Jim

Cheers for the info Nick and Jim been watching YouTube videos and its making me more and more want to put sound it 1401 as it sounds so sweet

Hi James

I heartily recommend the books by Greg McDonnell. I have a couple. Have a look for Passing Trains: The changing face of Canadian RailRoading, and Canadian Pacific: Stand Fast Craigellachie! Both are superb books. He has also published other books on Canada's Railroads.

All the best

Simon

If you can fing the Rail Canada series by Don C Lewis (pub. Lauch Pad Distribution) they have superb detail on loco paint schemes. Volume 3 covers CP locos.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=11757373209&searchurl=isbn%3D0920264034%26sortby%3D17

Also check out Morning Sun's Colour Guides to Freight & Passenger Equipment

If you're buying from US or Canada there's no import VAT on books (and therefore no Royal Mail handling fee)

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn