Canadian Pacific 1970s

One of my dad's last duties at Ogden Shops in Calgary was to officially write off 2 of the SD40-2s that were involved in this Robot runaway failure: http://www.okthepk.ca/dataCprSiding/articles/201206/month00.htm

I know it's not proven, since the inquiry on the 1981 incident does not appear to have come to a conclusion (yet?), but if what is strongly hinted to be the cause of those two runaways is true, then that is appalling! And if replacement valves were available to refit all units within a week, then it's even worse.

• Agree 1

I know it's not proven, since the inquiry on the 1981 incident does not appear to have come to a conclusion (yet?), but if what is strongly hinted to be the cause of those two runaways is true, then that is appalling! And if replacement valves were available to refit all units within a week, then it's even worse.

There were also noises at the time around the robots losing radio connection with the lead locos due to excess train length. Both runaways occurred on curves where a mountain could easily block the signals. This was never brought up publicly but was one of the first avenues of investigation at the time of the 77 runaway. 

I have been trawling eBay and wondered within time period would there have been other road names in CP consists to look out for and i have bid on this to modify to multimark scheme it wore when converted in 1981 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WALTHERS-EMD-GP-9U-CANADIAN-PACIFIC-WED19/283325046243?hash=item41f77d1de3:g:uZcAAOSwcapcLO0G:rk:3:pf:0

Hi James,

If you mean locos, CP was short of motive power in the 70s and leased locos from US roads and GO Transit. I've put a few links below, the sites themselves are a goldmine of information and inspiration.

https://waterlooregionmodelrailwayclub.ca/2016/05/that-70s-rent-a-wreck-fleet/ (comprehensive list of the types of locos leased and when)

http://tracksidetreasure.blogspot.com

There were also US operated lines in Canada in your period, the Canada Southern springs to mind, it was originally owned by New York Central, passed to Penn Central in 1968 then Conrail in 1976

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/home.htm

It used Canadian build GP7s & 9s, on its trains, I dont think they would have worked

in CP consists

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/diesel-geeps.htm

All the best

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Go to this website - http://www.railpictures.ca/ and search for 'starlight'. This was a train that ran over Canadian Pacific and Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo between Toronto and Hamilton. (CP eventually took over the TH&B at the beginning of 1987.) You'll have to sift through the results (for date etc.), but you will find all sorts of locos amongst the power on this train, apart from CP and TH&B.  Here's a sample from the 1970s:

http://www.railpictures.ca/upload/the-starlight-was-a-fan-favourite-different-from-the-cn-trains-which-dominated-the-hamilton-area-and-often-having-unusual-units-from-thb-parent-cp-rail-tonight-we-see-leased-nw-sd40-2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the info guys will have a proper flick through them in the weekend. On a side note gonna be ordering up the Kadees and the pair of trucks but my question is what sort should i use for the brown thrall all door box car i own since it was missing one when I got it from a show last year. The loco I bid on when to stupid prices so i didn't bother with it but will be on the lookout at shows for something smaller to go with the fleet as i have been using a non era Bachmann ATSF Plymouth Switcher. I may get another F7A+B unit if a dummy ones comes up cheap at a show for repaint into Maroon/Grey livery.

I may do a session in the loft for some photos and to bring the stuff down to add to the spreadsheet gonna also focus on the fiddle yard at the back get that moving along for more storage space. On a stock note i know my tank cars are outside the era but anyone know any correct ones for the era also been researching the white boxcar I acquired last year as to why it would be white and for what purpose struggling on that front but progress will be made with the layout this year to move it forward

• Like 2

Cheers for the info guys will have a proper flick through them in the weekend. On a side note gonna be ordering up the Kadees and the pair of trucks but my question is what sort should i use for the brown thrall all door box car i own since it was missing one when I got it from a show last year. The loco I bid on when to stupid prices so i didn't bother with it but will be on the lookout at shows for something smaller to go with the fleet as i have been using a non era Bachmann ATSF Plymouth Switcher. I may get another F7A+B unit if a dummy ones comes up cheap at a show for repaint into Maroon/Grey livery.

I may do a session in the loft for some photos and to bring the stuff down to add to the spreadsheet gonna also focus on the fiddle yard at the back get that moving along for more storage space. On a stock note i know my tank cars are outside the era but anyone know any correct ones for the era also been researching the white boxcar I acquired last year as to why it would be white and for what purpose struggling on that front but progress will be made with the layout this year to move it forward

Bachmann did both a white and a pale blue box car. Both liveries are fictional. (and ridiculous) Sort of like the Bachmann U-boat in action red. CP never owned any. 

Canadian Pacific had their own colour coding prior to the corporate multi-mark implementation. Some were carried over into the CP rail period. 

tuscan & grey - locomotives

oxide - most box cars

yellow* - heat insulated

black* - gondola, flat car, mow

green* - newsprint

silver* - refrigerated or express passenger. 

CP multi mark colours. 

green - CP ships & containers

blue - CP transport / Smith transport (trucking) & containers

orange - CP air

action red - CP Rail * with the addition of the colours above. 

Fording Coal - no multimark

Pan Canadian Petroleum - no multimark

CNCP telecommunication - no multimark

Marathon real estate - no multimark. 

CP hotels - no multimark

• Like 1

Ah cheers for the info Andrew will get it resprayed into a non fake colour when i find cheap CP multimark decals somewhere for the boxcars otherwise it can just stay as it. The white boxcar and the CANFOR thrall all door boxcar i purchased together look like life like brand products similar to the AP lumber one i got

Ah cheers for the info Andrew will get it resprayed into a non fake colour when i find cheap CP multimark decals somewhere for the boxcars otherwise it can just stay as it. The white boxcar and the CANFOR thrall all door boxcar i purchased together look like life like brand products similar to the AP lumber one i got

Decals: Microscale set number 87-221. 

The action red will be more difficult. I get mine from Canada via the MiL. Normally you can't get it shipped legally anymore. Model Junction used to stock it in the Poly-S range but they haven't had it in ages. There is the Badger modelflex range and Model Junction has stocked the pack of Canadian railroad colors but currently out of stock. 

Decals: Microscale set number 87-221. 

The action red will be more difficult. I get mine from Canada via the MiL. Normally you can't get it shipped legally anymore. Model Junction used to stock it in the Poly-S range but they haven't had it in ages. There is the Badger modelflex range and Model Junction has stocked the pack of Canadian railroad colors but currently out of stock. 

Cheers again Andrew also do you know what length the white boxcar would represent/style so i don't pick the wrong one to model. I will also keep an eye out on the decals there a bit outside the budget but they might go for a cheaper price ad will take a look at the CP pack from model junction

Cheers again Andrew also do you know what length the white boxcar would represent/style so i don't pick the wrong one to model. I will also keep an eye out on the decals there a bit outside the budget but they might go for a cheaper price ad will take a look at the CP pack from model junction

Not sure to be honest. Most likely it is a generic 40' that has no actual prototype. 

Hi James,

I've found a part-used set of 87-221 that you can have if you pm me an address. I have used Tamiya X7 for Action Red, it's perhaps a little dark but nobody's commented on it, this is my MLW C424. Nick Palette has used VW Mars Red touch up in an aerosol which may look a little closer.

post-7218-0-73868100-1547841397_thumb.jpg

I think Andrew is right about your white boxcar being generic but it looks to be nearly as long as the Thrall door car which would make it a 50 footer, Id suggest taking a look through one of the Canadian Phot websites and eyeballing a close match for your first repaint.

http://rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp-frt.html

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/displayrailway.pl?o=cprail

All the best

Nick

• Like 2

CPR red can vary - look at the different shades in the pictures in this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41022-occasional-canadian-photos-mostly-from-vancouver-area/?p=1441831

There are actually 2 different reds in use. Action red dates from the late 60s and is more orange. It was also very unstable with differing batches fading at different rates. Some locos faded to a pinkish orange. System red is not the same as Soo red. That colour has changed slightly over the years but like any red pigment it fades.

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing some research during my lunch break at work and have noted the following i may need to tackle on a model

GP7 8409 - noted from pics its missing the yellow handrails and yellow on the steps

The other below are notes on whats ongoing with the project

I noticed the kadee on one end of the dome car and possibly seaview need attention

Need to order up the trucks and kadees next month to finish off the Thrall all door project

Purchase points for the fiddle yard to finish and replace older points ready for purchase of a power supply so I can mount the point motors

That would be a Fairbanks Morse H24-66 built by Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston Ontario better known as a Trainmaster. They spent most of their time out west in the mountains of BC and Alberta.

HTH

David

• Agree 1

Cheers for the info I have been contemplating cutting the baseboard down keeping the model part but turning it into an L shape in the corner of the room to make more space and use sort of cassettes to bring items in and out. I have been contemplating the following options

1) Since the scenic side will pass through the tunnel end with the L shape I have considered a small number of sidings maybe have a railway station (dibber25 do you have anymore of the station in your 2nd share shot with the RDC), May even add something like a timber loading yard or some kind of extra industry or i might build the full grain kit and use the small space for something else to do with boxcars

2) A station and a depot maybe have the station in the front and the small depot in the back or a small maintenance depot with a shed

3) A simple freight yard with a small portacabin and a yard maybe a fueling point between one of the tracks

what are your ideas on these or have your own ideas to share