Canadian Pacific 1970s

Started adding things to my list for Macclesfield Model Rail Show and the event in Crewe next month but was wondering if anyone knew or had pics of MOW road vehicles as i have considered adding one or 2 to the scenic side of the layout with some engineers when i get round to finding the right figures

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Detailing a SD40-2 I purchased this month and had a few questions i thought this would be a good knowledgeable place.

1) Wipers are they always black or are they usually the cab colour

2) What colour would be closest to CSX yellow if i do the grab irons on the rear of the body

3) Best way to do non functional ditch lights if they are missing on the model

4) Do any preserved lines run as both preserved and to service the industry along it within Canada

• RMweb Premium

The Waterloo Central runs tourist trains but also has industries along the line. I don't know if they switch them or some other outfit does.  There is several miles of shared track with the Kitchener-Waterloo ION streetcar system between the tourist line and the CNR mainline and there are bits of gantlet track on that at some of the platforms.

The track is owned by the region and the train staff on our last trip had some comments about hoping the track might get maintained soon as our coach was really rocking.

Orangeville Brampton was intended to service industry but also ran tourist trains.  There has been a change in operators (or cessation of operators) and I'm not sure what's now happening.

Wipers can vary. I've seen black, and loco body colour, and one of each. Normally black though. Check a prototype pic of your chosen loco. Most models are in the colour of the engineering plastic they are moulded in and not necessarily correct. 

Closest match to CSX yellow is Model Masters 1707 chrome yellow. 

Ditch lights: https://www.modeljunction.info/detailing-parts/1741-ditch-lights-with-lenses-pilot-end-mount-2.html 

Alberta Prairie still runs as a tourist railway but was originally a shortline taken over from CN. (ex Canadian Northern) Short grain trains with both steam and diesel tourist trains from the mid 90s until around 2005ish. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got these detailed part on the way this week for the locomotive https://www.modeljunction.info/detailing-parts/49299-detail-kit-for-athearn-emd-diesels-gp38-2gp40-2sd40-2.html?search_query=190-524&results=1 . Towards the end of the moth i will order 2x of the ditch lights to do front and rear and the yellow paint then the CSX loco should look a lot more decent for an Athearn model. Any tips for doing the wire on the front or when fitting the ditch lights when i order them up

This detailing kit for CSX SD40-2 6126 arrived today https://www.modeljunction.info/detailing-parts/49299-detail-kit-for-athearn-emd-diesels-gp38-2gp40-2sd40-2.html?search_query=190-524&results=1 . Towards the end of the moth i will order 2x of the ditch lights to do front and rear and the yellow paint then the CSX loco should look a lot more decent for an Athearn model. Any tips for doing the wire on the front or when fitting the ditch lights when i order them up also noticed in the instructions i will need CSX Grey for the curved grab handle around the rear fan housing if i want to add it and the CSX blue for the nose rails. I see it came with wipers which is good but i think i may fit most of the grab handles and the wipers but not the lift rings

A bit of advice on far of a depth should i drill with the correct drills as per the instructions to make the various grab handles look and sit correct plus how would i go about fitting the wire i need to paint yellow onto the snow plough on the Atheran model (the one with the U shaped ends). I asked this question on a Facebook group and got everything but the correct answer to start this weekend. I need to fit the grab handles on the rear (the  ones that go up the yellow rear) the curved one (behind the rear fan) the front, top and one side grab irons, the wipers and the step ones. I have a decent Ron's Trains and Things video for fitting the air hoses to the plough i shall watch but i need to know how far to drill on the body before i stop for the mounting holes to make these various parts sit at the correct distance from the body for it to look correct as iv never done thing before and seen some excellent stuff here and thought id give it a go for myself 

Edited by jamessolomon