Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Premium

Well done Hornby . Can't help feeling that they unintentionally gave the game away in the Adams Radial Engineshed blog which is why we've got this announcement so shortly after the Colletts . No matter it seems it's a good choice . As to what is announced in December, well I think it would be unreasonable to expect much more, unless of course it's an announcement for that forgotten outpost.........Scotland!

Just received the link to these from Hornby. I think the description given of the Diag 98   6 compartment lav third is incorrect, as the link to the model sample shows it to be a brake coach with end duckets and a guards/stowage area with double doors, the panelling between the compartments differs in width so I think it is a six compartment lav brake composite, which would tie in with the two brake coaches seen in the Adams Radial video late last week, the other being the Diag 99  8 comp brake third. Another 4 coaches and suburbans at that for country line use, this is impressive from Hornby. 9 new coaches announced for 2016 already, can there be anymore? am I in heaven?

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 2

The 'joined up thinking' quotient is high at Hornby. Let's hope the 'joined up spending' policy of hobbyists is sufficiently well developed that this line of thought is further encouraged.

...Will there still be the big one (announcements) in December as usual though?

At the present rate it'll be very simple 'We intend to produce everything you want (in OO)'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The 'joined up thinking' quotient is high at Hornby. Let's hope the 'joined up spending' policy of hobbyists is sufficiently well developed that this line of thought is further encouraged.

At the present rate it'll be very simple 'We intend to produce everything you want (in OO)'.

What is going on there seems rather interesting.  I get the impression that the design and development chaps might be getting a fairly free hand  (no doubt within a budget of course) and are close enough to 'the market' to understand what will or won't succeed in the sort of sales environment Hornby are now seeing as their future for the 'modeller' part of the market.

Makes it easier for the new marketing folk who really don't seem to understand the market (but are very interested in the numbers game) while at the same time is rubbing off rather nicely on the company's reputation and brand image in at least one market sector,  In many ways a very interesting and, certainly for now, refreshing way of moving forward from the way the company used to do business.  However the other side of the coin will be to see how they handle the 'starter' and 'toyshop' market areas as part of their expressed vision of how they want their markets to develop.  But in the meanwhile I look forward to them moving on to some non-ganwayed (G)WR stock.

• Like 3

What is going on there seems rather interesting. I get the impression that the design and development chaps might be getting a fairly free hand (no doubt within a budget of course) and are close enough to 'the market' to understand what will or won't succeed in the sort of sales environment Hornby are now seeing as their future for the 'modeller' part of the market.

Makes it easier for the new marketing folk who really don't seem to understand the market (but are very interested in the numbers game) while at the same time is rubbing off rather nicely on the company's reputation and brand image in at least one market sector, In many ways a very interesting and, certainly for now, refreshing way of moving forward from the way the company used to do business. However the other side of the coin will be to see how they handle the 'starter' and 'toyshop' market areas as part of their expressed vision of how they want their markets to develop. But in the meanwhile I look forward to them moving on to some non-ganwayed (G)WR stock.

Is that a clue to what's next - of course you're not at liberty to say, and if you did Hornby would have to shoot you........

We have come so far from the days where a manufacturer made a single design of vaguely pre-nationalisation looking stock and painted it maroon, green, brown or choc/cream as required....

What !  Like the Hornby 4-wheel coaches presently in their RailRoad range ?

Northstar Design used to produce these or something similar in RTR brass. They are the usual 8' 2" wide bodies (or thereabouts) mounted on SR standard design chassis, therefore a fillet of wedge-shaped wood was necessary along the bottom of the body to cover the solebars. Interesting coaches with compartments sharing lavatories. Photographed on my old Diggle layout.....

post-6680-0-64633700-1434379173.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

First,   WONDERFUL, MARVELLOUS,  EXCELLENT !

Second,   What will Bachmann produce for the Southern coach fan ?   An upgrade of the Bulleids would, of course be nice but ?

Third,   it does leave a bit of a question mark on the future of the EXTREMELY well received Maunsell coaches, or more particularly whether Hornby will ever produce models of the full range of BR Green low-window Maunsells.  It seems VERY odd that all the low-windowed ones were done in Southern and cream/crimson, but only a very few in BR Southern Region green. 

And, where does it leave Kernow's Gate-Stock ?

No more scanning EBay for Northstar coaches! My impending O2 will have a pair of plastic ones to haul from Padstow to Bodmin and back.  It appears Hornby actually listened and now appears to be going full steam era on coaching stock. Will wonders never cease!

Also in last line of the Engine Shed blog on the LSWR coaching stock it says that "There's still some development work to be done on the Maunsell coaches - tooling has now started and we expect First Shots and Engineering Samples before mid September." The photo shows someone working on an SR Maunsell coach. Could it be the later 30's smooth side coaches or a catering vehicle? High Corridor window SR green versions?

Bachmann better get busy and finish the Birdcage Trio and maybe the Bulleid coaches.

Gated stock is not needed on my chosen Southern route. I still have a pair on order.

Now if they would only revise/expand the Rivarossi line of shorty passenger cars to build true 68' (not 60') round roof Harriman coaches instead of CNJ shorties in HO.  They might even conquer the US market.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1