Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know Ratio made Bullied bogies ?

They are SR 8' Standard Steam bogies as used in their Van B kit and also sold separately, the number on the packet is 104.

Very sweet running when made up, I've got another pair running round under one of my Bachmann Bulleids to see if it's worth replacing the standard ones.  

John

• RMweb Premium

Unless I have missed it, nobody has yet been able to answer my question of what I need to buy (loco and coaches) to run a prototypical Lyme Regis train?

Adams 0415 Radial, diagram 99 and 418 coaches, all from Hornby (not sure of exactly which set(s), as I don't have my books with me but sets 42 - 46 were all allocated to the west country).

Obviously you have a choice on the manufacturer for the Radial.

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya

Unless I have missed it, nobody has yet been able to answer my question of what I need to buy (loco and coaches) to run a prototypical Lyme Regis train?

I'm not being rude, but this maybe be because no one that's expert enough is reading this or has the information (like product codes) you want readily to hand.

Also it depends upon the date period you'r interested in. Sometimes coaching stock changed from one year to the next. There's a good picture posted on here in post 64, and also the Ivo Peters book 'Southern Steam Album' has some '60s photos from the Lyme Regis branch.

You may have to research this yourself.

Edited by Combe Martin

• RMweb Gold

Photo on here (perhaps a different thread) of a train arriving at Lyme Regis. Adams Radial plus two 58' brakes (brake compartment ends coupled together at centre of train). EDIT: Post above beat me to it.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

As this would be a 'standalone project' I am not actually too bothered about the time period, as from what I can understand there are certain mismatches between liveries and coach liveries so all possible combinations aren't planned yet.

Loco plus 2 coaches is clearly an instant win "Box set" for Hornby...

• RMweb Gold

Set 44 crops up a lot on Lyme Regis branch.

Rob

post-14122-0-77865200-1434713063_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Set 44 crops up a lot on Lyme Regis branch.

Rob

Would it have been normal practice for a fixed set to be formed with the brake compartments together? Or had it been sneekily remarshalled to suit local preferences/operational needs?

• RMweb Premium

Probably for purely practical reasons. In the holiday season there would have been a lot of luggage, so placing both luggage compartments together made loading/unloading much easier. In a short train the positioning of the guard wouldn't be significant.

Pete

• Like 1

Would that picture then be two "R4717 Hornby 58ft Maunsell Rebuilt ex LSWR 48ft Eight Compartment Brake Third Class Non Corridor Coach SR"?

Presumably the loco is BR black but is that livey early or late?  I'm not sure what the difference is.

My guess is R3334 late BR, whatever time period that happens to be.  As my late grandfather was in the Home Guard in nearby Axminster that could provide a very interesting layout tie-in if I could model it in wartime...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Early and late BR is easy to recognise by the tender logos. The early logo was called the Cycling Lion, or nicknamed the Ferret and Dartboard, whereas the late logo was a crest with BRITISH RAILWAYS written either side and enclosed within an outline. Early was up until 1956 when the new crest was rolled out I believe. Hope this helps

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Early and late BR is easy to recognise by the tender logos. The early logo was called the Cycling Lion, or nicknamed the Ferret and Dartboard, whereas the late logo was a crest with BRITISH RAILWAYS written either side and enclosed within an outline. Early was up until 1956 when the new crest was rolled out I believe. Hope this helps

And in that photo, I am 99% sure that it is an "early" crest. Which may mean that the coaches are crimson rather than green. Not easy to distinguish in b/w.

• RMweb Gold

Would that picture then be two "R4717 Hornby 58ft Maunsell Rebuilt ex LSWR 48ft Eight Compartment Brake Third Class Non Corridor Coach SR"?

Presumably the loco is BR black but is that livey early or late?  I'm not sure what the difference is.

My guess is R3334 late BR, whatever time period that happens to be.  As my late grandfather was in the Home Guard in nearby Axminster that could provide a very interesting layout tie-in if I could model it in wartime...

I don't have a timetable to hand but I would be surprised if there was no 1st class accommodation at all. So probably a brake third and a brake compo. But others here will know the composition of set 44.

• RMweb Premium

And in that photo, I am 99% sure that it is an "early" crest. Which may mean that the coaches are crimson rather than green. Not easy to distinguish in b/w.

Yep I'd say that's almost certain to be early BR livery

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a timetable to hand but I would be surprised if there was no 1st class accommodation at all. So probably a brake third and a brake compo. But others here will know the composition of set 44.

Diagram 99's were Brake Thirds and Diagram 418's were Brake Compo's (Hornby R4717 and R4719) (sets 42 -46)

Cheers

edit to add the set no's:

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would it have been normal practice for a fixed set to be formed with the brake compartments together? Or had it been sneekily remarshalled to suit local preferences/operational needs?

Most of the photos I have seen have the brake compartments facing out, at opposite ends of the formation so to speak.

Occasionally the branch train would run as a single coach. The logical thing to do is uncouple the coach closest to the engine and plonk it in a siding then return and couple onto the coach left behind. This would put the brake end at the opposite end to the loco. When there was a need for two coaches, they would pick up the coach from the siding. This would put the brake ends together.

I hope this makes sense.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

A quick look in my books has:

April 1954, two LSWR coaches in green, set No not visible, brake ends inward.

Summer 1955 one coach in shot, now red, non-brake end leading.

June 1958, two coaches, one LSWR all-third in red plus one Maunsell corridor brake composite, brake end outward. The same combination was photographed by Norman Lockett in 1959, and presumably by Ivo Peters whose car is in Norman's shot.

By 1960 the coaches all  seem to be cascaded Maunsell corridor stock in green.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Edited by petethemole

So wartime would be early crest - would the green coaches as Hornby R4717 and R4719 for a third comp and third brake, plus R3333 BR early crest, be the combination I'm looking for?

I predict a rush on Buffers limited edition local wagons too...

• RMweb Premium

So wartime would be early crest - would the green coaches as Hornby R4717 and R4719 for a third comp and third brake, plus R3333 BR early crest, be the combination I'm looking for?

I predict a rush on Buffers limited edition local wagons too...

No, wartime would be "Southern", BR didn't exist until 1948.  

Can't see a Hornby SR (Southern Railway) livery Radial though (as opposed to the BR Southern REGION / BR{S} liveries in the guises of R3333 BR early crest  / R3334 BR late crest) .

Cheers

edit:

Oxford Diecast OO SR 488 Adams 4-4-2T Radial Tank Southern Livery OR76AR003

Edited by Tim Dubya

There is "R3335 LSWR 4-4-2T Adams Radial 415 Class - LSWR Preserved " on the Hornby website but I am guessing that this isn't right?

Unless someone is doing it as a limited edition but I'd have thought the Bluebell would have nabbed R3335 if they were going to have anything as an exclusive.

But if I have to go later then I suppose that at least it's still a self contained branch with only one loco needed at any time...

Edited by cromptonnut