Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Premium

PS, Anyone know why these Set numbers do not appear on the semgonline coach set number listing?

I think it's as simple as, no information is available about these sets to SEMG or they just weren't included in the file online?

• RMweb Premium

Gents

Can any one confirm if these coaches ran in sets west of Exeter, onto the North Devon line during the 50s?. I ve been going through the various books l have including "The North Devon Line" by Nicholas and Reeve, but most of the photos with rolling stock in them, are front on 3/4 views, not the easiest type of photos to work from. I f anyone could point me in the right direction to find the answer, it would be very much appreciated

Hopefully

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Hello Bob,

The short answer is yes, they did. Set 20 comes immediately to mind, but there would have been others. One clue for photo interpretation is the roof canvas. For the converted coaches, the roof canvas could be left untouched by the conversion work, a new piece of canvas would only be used for the new compartments. Middleton Press and Irwell Press books will assist your research.

PB

Good evening Peter

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. That's good news as l d love to add a few of these coaches to my wants list Unfortunately set 20 does not appear on the Semorg  spread sheet,  You would not know the set formation by chance?

Cheekly

Bob C

The coach on the left on this (sorry, it needs to be opened)file is what I want to reproduce. It will probably mean a cut and shut but that is going to be expensive and may be a dodgy job (if I do it that is)!

attachicon.gifS1050S .pdf

Phil

It may well be expensive and nerve-wracking, but evidence suggests you are more likely to achieve it while still breathing God's air than if you were to wait for a certain RTR manufacturer to produce the coach on the right of the drawing!

More seriously, though, (and unless I've misunderstood what you're after) the windows and panelling are not the same as the ex-LSWR versions, so you'll be able to get the look, but not the accuracy of an ex-SER coach.

I would be more inclined to go for an all third version of the LSWR rebuilds (there are several - use Mike King's book as a guide on this) but without further research, I don't know where they were used nor what their route availability was.

Mike

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm planning a North Cornwall layout and noted that these were used at Padstow just post-WW2. I was wondering if they worked there close to their eventual final days.

If not, as my line is beyond the 'Withered Arm' one may have to get missing presumed scrapped there.

• RMweb Premium

It may well be expensive and nerve-wracking, but evidence suggests you are more likely to achieve it while still breathing God's air than if you were to wait for a certain RTR manufacturer to produce the coach on the right of the drawing!

More seriously, though, (and unless I've misunderstood what you're after) the windows and panelling are not the same as the ex-LSWR versions, so you'll be able to get the look, but not the accuracy of an ex-SER coach.

I would be more inclined to go for an all third version of the LSWR rebuilds (there are several - use Mike King's book as a guide on this) but without further research, I don't know where they were used nor what their route availability was.

Mike

I think 'the look' will have to do for the strengthener coach for the Seaton Branch circa 1960. I'm not that fussed ........... no, honestly :scared:

I think I might just make do with the Lav Comp in that lovely faded red! :superstition:

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning a North Cornwall layout and noted that these were used at Padstow just post-WW2.

O/T but if you're planning a NCR layout, check out the next mighty tome from Angry Goose Wild Swan, "Memories of the Withered Arm".

• Like 1

Hello Bob,

The short answer is yes, they did. Set 20 comes immediately to mind, but there would have been others. One clue for photo interpretation is the roof canvas. For the converted coaches, the roof canvas could be left untouched by the conversion work, a new piece of canvas would only be used for the new compartments. Middleton Press and Irwell Press books will assist your research.

PB

Good evening Peter

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. That's good news as l d love to add a few of these coaches to my wants list Unfortunately set 20 does not appear on the Semorg  spread sheet,  You would not know the set formation by chance?

Cheekly

Bob C

Set 20 comprised 58ft BT(L) number 2618, and 56ft BC(L) number 6482.

Hth

PB

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info on set 20 Paul and Chris, Shame this set did not survive beyond 1951 in its original form. Would these LSWR coaches/sets have worked further west to Plymouth in the 1950s?

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

• 4 weeks later...

Have bumped this thread as the Hornby website is still showing the 4 BR crimson versions as due in on 29th July at Hornby and recently they tend to have models in a couple of days earlier than their website estimate, so hopefully only a week away.

Have bumped this thread as the Hornby website is still showing the 4 BR crimson versions as due in on 29th July at Hornby and recently they tend to have models in a couple of days earlier than their website estimate, so hopefully only a week away.

Hornby are showing the Southern green ones as the same date - but Hattons are still showing 18th August for the latter ............ we'll see !

• RMweb Gold

Hattons are reporting by email today, .......29th July or thereabouts for the Olive Green Coaches.......

Stephen.

Good news,Stephen.....although it must be said that Hattons are occasionally "creative" in their forecasts.Hope this one is accurate.

These and the forthcoming Birdcage stock from Bachmannwill fill a glaring gap in the market.

Edit : humble apologies to Hattons.The Hornby website also shows 29//07/2016.The wait appears to be over.Really excellent news indeed.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Good news,Stephen.....although it must be said that Hattons are occasionally "creative" in their forecasts.Hope this one is accurate.

These and the forthcoming Birdcage stock from Bachmann will fill a glaring gap in the market.

Hattons notification says "will arrive with us on or after Friday 29th July" so they're not committing to despatch/delivery until, perhaps, some time early August .............. "or after" ! ............................... as for the birdcages, have they got out of the drawing office yet ? ( As far as I know the 'H' class to pull them is still in the rumour factory, unfortunately.)

• RMweb Gold

Hattons notification says "will arrive with us on or after Friday 29th July" so they're not committing to despatch/delivery until, perhaps, some time early August .............. "or after" ! ............................... as for the birdcages, have they got out of the drawing office yet ? ( As far as I know the 'H' class to pull them is still in the rumour factory, unfortunately.)

Yes but you still have the M7 and the T9.Maybe the Bachmann Birdcage coaches are a good match for an H ?

Some weeks ago, the Hornby Engine Shed stated that the BR versions were on their way by ship with end of July release date, but the Southern ones would be a later summer release, which was showing as late August. As they are unlikely to be on the same sea shipment as the BR crimson ones, but would be produced by now for shipping, sounds like they are again air freighting some of the Southern Railway versions in, from the production run, to get them released at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised that like the Q6 releases, the main part of the production run will follow by sea

Some weeks ago, the Hornby Engine Shed stated that the BR versions were on their way by ship with end of July release date, but the Southern ones would be a later summer release, which was showing as late August. As they are unlikely to be on the same sea shipment as the BR crimson ones, but would be produced by now for shipping, sounds like they are again air freighting some of the Southern Railway versions in, from the production run, to get them released at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised that like the Q6 releases, the main part of the production run will follow by sea

........ maybe on the same slow boat as the Model Rail USA tank !!?!

I noticed that of the SR lot Hornby are releasing only 2626 (paired with 6406 to form set 375)  appears on this coach set list from semonline http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.txt  unless the 2626 on that list is another type of coach all together in which case this post is completely irrelevant :)  if it IS the same coach then surely Hornby would have been better off producing 6406 instead of 6404...?

Apologies if this has already been covered 

I've ordered the eight compartment brake third 6404 & six compartment brake composite 2639 following advice on here that those two types would have been paired together? 

I noticed that of the SR lot Hornby are releasing only 2626 (paired with 6406 to form set 375)  appears on this coach set list from semonline http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.txt  unless the 2626 on that list is another type of coach all together in which case this post is completely irrelevant :)  if it IS the same coach then surely Hornby would have been better off producing 6406 instead of 6404...?

Apologies if this has already been covered 

I've ordered the eight compartment brake third 6404 & six compartment brake composite 2639 following advice on here that those two types would have been paired together? 

I believe that you are correct with respect of 6404 and 2639. My record shows that from April 1936 to November 1956 they were paired as Set Number 45. I would expect that Hornby will have this detail stencilled on the centre line on the outer ends.

PB

• RMweb Gold

For clarity Hornby are producing the following in SR olive

R4717 – SR 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Eight Compartment Brake Third Class Non-Corridor, SR Olive Green Diagram 99 No. 2639 that formed set 45 with R4719

R4718 – S R 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Six Compartment Lavatory Composite Coach [sic] , SR Olive Green actually a 6 Compartment lavatory Brake Third to diagram 98 No. 2626 used as ‘loose’ stock

R4719 – SR 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Six Compartment Lavatory Third Class Coach [sic], SR Olive Green actually a 6 compartment lavatory Brake Composite to Diagram 418 No. 6404 that formed set 45 with R4717

R4720 – SR 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Nine Compartment Lavatory Third Class Coach, SR Olive Green Diagram 31 No. 304 used as ‘loose’ stock

See my blog here for further details https://grahammuz.com/2015/11/26/Hornby-announce-full-2016-range-and-the-addition-of-an-sr-cattle-wagon/

For clarity Hornby are producing the following in SR olive

R4717 – SR 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Eight Compartment Brake Third Class Non-Corridor, SR Olive Green Diagram 99 No. 2639 that formed set 45 with R4719

R4718 – S R 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Six Compartment Lavatory Composite Coach [sic] , SR Olive Green actually a 6 Compartment lavatory Brake Third to diagram 98 No. 2626 used as ‘loose’ stock

R4719 – SR 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Six Compartment Lavatory Third Class Coach [sic], SR Olive Green actually a 6 compartment lavatory Brake Composite to Diagram 418 No. 6404 that formed set 45 with R4717

R4720 – SR 58′ Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Nine Compartment Lavatory Third Class Coach, SR Olive Green Diagram 31 No. 304 used as ‘loose’ stock

See my blog here for further details https://grahammuz.com/2015/11/26/Hornby-announce-full-2016-range-and-the-addition-of-an-sr-cattle-wagon/

Very informative thank you.

Seams a strange that Hornby are producing 3 coaches out of 4 as brakes. I may well be sending 1 or 2 of my order of 4 green ones back at this rate.

• RMweb Gold

Very informative thank you.

Seams a strange that Hornby are producing 3 coaches out of 4 as brakes. I may well be sending 1 or 2 of my order of 4 green ones back at this rate.

Not that strange as three out of the four coach types were indeed brakes in reality. Both those that made up the 2 coach sets were brakes, one loose brake and one non brake loose coach.