Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

I have ordered direct from Hornby two red and two green. The red ones will make up the Lyme Regis train with my Oxford Rail Adams Radial. I think I will cancel my order for the Hornby train pack as the LSWR Radial I received from Hornby was a complete lemon with only three pick-ups touching the wheels out of the eight fitted and the brake rods bent in two and snapped. I still have heard nothing from Hornby regarding a replacement.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have only announced Southern green and BR(S) red coaches so far. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but being non-corridor stock they would never have been painted carmine and cream.

Agreed, they were never in carmine and cream just plain Crimson as applied to non corridor stock.

• RMweb Gold

The diagram 99 and Diagram 416 brakes were made up into two coach sets whilst the diagram 98 and diagram 31 were used as loose coaches to strengthen rakes. They could be have also strengthened with other coach types.

The diagram 99 and Diagram 416 brakes were made up into two coach sets whilst the diagram 98 and diagram 31 were used as loose coaches to strengthen rakes. They could be have also strengthened with other coach types.

........... and a significant number of the Dia.31 Composites found their way into 'Long' sets on the Eastern Section too - mixed with S.E.C.R. 'birdcage' era coaches ( Unfortunately not the 60' ones allegedly forthcoming from Bachmann - they 'always' ran as indivisible trio-sets ! ),

• RMweb Gold

So Hornby are doing them in SR Olive Green and Crimson, so both of these are OK for Early SR and Late BR/SR are they going to do them in SR/BR green mid 50's?.

Darren

Probably not; as has already been covered earlier in the thread, very few of these coaches ever received BR(s) green.

Indeed, withdrawals commenced before BR Southern Region began to reapply green livery to their coaches, with most still carrying much-revarnished SR (malachite) green or BR Crimson. It is unlikely, though not impossible, that any remained in Olive so late.

My feeling is that any remaining in Olive livery post-1948 would have been the first picked to receive Crimson. 

I would hope that Hornby will eventually release some in SR malachite to go with appropriate versions of the Radials, if so, I'll get a couple and change the markings to BR. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

They have arrived at my retailer this morning, Scograil, Ipswich. Although I'd pre-ordered one of each in BR crimson, I bought an additional 2, one each of the loose coaches. For those interested in the manufacturer codes, it is TAL05.

Mine arrived today delivered by Reg from Interlink getting to know him quite well. Don't want to know my credit card bill this month though.

Well these are beauties. Fine molding and smooth paint finish. Separately fitted handles, pipework and ventilators although the way Hornby do their molded handles it wouldn't have bothered me if they where molded. Metal wheels with one side insulated, free running without any wobbles, close coupling with alternative couplings included. Weight 126g

Raining here so only some photos with flash.

Img_3105_zpskxrzadsv.jpg

Img_3098_zpsgg2zyjjf.jpg

Img_3097_zpsxff09jmg.jpg

IMG_3100_zpsbpbsvand.jpg

Img_3107_zpsal6cfnjh.jpg

Dscf0332_zpsgvzmfgmo.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

My Southern Railway versions were delivered by Tony at Interlink at lunchtime today. My Southern E4 was given the task of giving the new coaches a spin round the layout:

post-586-0-20506200-1469627386.jpg

and was later seen taking the coaches up the incline:

post-586-0-95084700-1469627418.jpg

post-586-0-54298200-1469627451.jpg

Think they look quite good. Got to wait until next month until I get my hands on the crimson versions as ordered these through my local dealer and I only visit him once a month ....... and my last visit was yesterday!

Keith

• Like 14

Mine arrived today delivered by Reg from Interlink getting to know him quite well. Don't want to know my credit card bill this month though.

Well these are beauties. Fine molding and smooth paint finish. Separately fitted handles, pipework and ventilators although the way Hornby do their molded handles it wouldn't have bothered me if they where molded. Metal wheels with one side insulated, free running without any wobbles, close coupling with alternative couplings included. Weight 126g

Raining here so only some photos with flash.

Img_3105_zpskxrzadsv.jpg

Img_3098_zpsgg2zyjjf.jpg

Img_3097_zpsxff09jmg.jpg

IMG_3100_zpsbpbsvand.jpg

Img_3107_zpsal6cfnjh.jpg

Dscf0332_zpsgvzmfgmo.jpg

Looking good but I'll have to wait a bit longer for mine - Hattons advised "hopefully within the next few days" about an hour ago ! ............ only one quibble about the models - would have been nice with blackened buffers : these coaches would NEVER have graced the Royal Train !

• RMweb Gold

A big box arrived on the doorstep here yesterday afternoon, and was unpacked this morning to reveal the olive green versions of these! Very nice indeed, too. :) 

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 3

Probably not; as has already been covered earlier in the thread, very few of these coaches ever received BR(s) green.

Indeed, withdrawals commenced before BR Southern Region began to reapply green livery to their coaches, with most still carrying much-revarnished SR (malachite) green or BR Crimson. It is unlikely, though not impossible, that any remained in Olive so late.

My feeling is that any remaining in Olive livery post-1948 would have been the first picked to receive Crimson. 

I would hope that Hornby will eventually release some in SR malachite to go with appropriate versions of the Radials, if so, I'll get a couple and change the markings to BR. 

John

I have found a colour photo of S2626S (Hornby R4718 in SR Olive) and S4654S (an 8-compartment lavatory composite - not currently manufactured) as a two set arrangement at Evercreech Junction in what is unmistakably BR green in 1959 in Southern Coaches in colour by Mike Welch, published by Noodle Books (first page).  The caption to the photo suggests they were loose coaches allotted to S&D traffic at Templecombe.  Both withdrawn July 1959.

Would these have been used on the Swanage branch 1953-55? I remember travelling down there via Poole and evening trips to Corfe Castle. At least one train we went on was green.

The short answer is yes, probably, but not SR(BR) green.  Push-pull set number 3 was comprised S2609, a 7-compartment lavatory brake third, and is shown at plate 127 of The Illustrated History of Southern  Coaches by Mike King (OPC) in malachite green in 1951 at Bournemouth Central.  Your memory was probably spot on!

• RMweb Gold

I have found a colour photo of S2626S (Hornby R4718 in SR Olive) and S4654S (an 8-compartment lavatory composite - not currently manufactured) as a two set arrangement at Evercreech Junction in what is unmistakably BR green in 1959 in Southern Coaches in colour by Mike Welch, published by Noodle Books (first page).  The caption to the photo suggests they were loose coaches allotted to S&D traffic at Templecombe.  Both withdrawn July 1959.

Indeed there is certainly evidence, as already mentioned back in the depths of this thread that a small number of the diagram 98 and diagram 31 loose coaches did gain BR Green, it would be useful to some I am sure if such references when found are duly noted.

Although it is believed that Diagrams 99 and 416 that made up the sets 42 to 46 did not gain BR green.

However some (of all diagrams) would have been seen in varnished malachite with BR style numbering and positions prior to crimson.

........... of The Illustrated History of Southern  Coaches by Mike King (OPC) ............

On a tangent, I saw this for pre-sale on Amazon (I don't know where else to post it) ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0860936651/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=AO3PW2Y5652W&coliid=I2U18DANI7DF6Q

And for those who don't like following links ;

Southern Coaches Survey  Hardcover  – 17 Nov 2016
by Mike King (Author)

£35.00

• Hardcover: 192 pages
  • Publisher: Oxford Publishing Co (17 Nov. 2016)

Following on from the author's previous successful books on Southern Coaches, this volume looks at an additional selection of classes of coaches that operated on the Southern Railway and the Southern Region of BR that have not so far been covered. The book concentrates on pre-Grouping and BR Mk1 types. Certain of the more common strengthening vehicles as well as some passenger vans (which might be seen anywhere in the country) are also included. Each different class is examined in detail in separate chapters. The detailed text is supplemented with scale drawings, photographs, set/coach numbering and some details of the services they worked upon and areas in which they could be found. This volume is aimed primarily at modellers and the drawings reproduced at 4mm scale - similar to those the author drew in Southern Coaches and Southern Pull-Push Stock.

Examples included in the book:

-  LSWR 2-coach branch line sets

-  LSWR 3-Lav sets

-  SECR Birdcage 3-sets

-  SECR 60ft 10 compartment thirds

-  LBSCR 3-coach 54ft sets

-  LBSCR Balloon stock

-  LBSCR six-wheeled stock inc passenger vans

-  BR Mk 1 3/4 coach corridor sets

-  BR Mk 1 non-corridor sets

-  A selection of Maunsell/Bulleid vehicles not included in the earlier book

-  A selection of passenger vans.

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

Would these have been used on the Swanage branch 1953-55? I remember travelling down there via Poole and evening trips to Corfe Castle. At least one train we went on was green.

The short answer is yes, probably, but not SR(BR) green.  Push-pull set number 3 was comprised S2609, a 7-compartment lavatory brake third, and is shown at plate 127 of The Illustrated History of Southern  Coaches by Mike King (OPC) in malachite green in 1951 at Bournemouth Central.  Your memory was probably spot on!

We travelled from Birmingham via the S&D to Poole to change trains. I also remember changing trains at Wareham on one occasion. It was well before BR(SR) green came in so it would still have been SR paintwork.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A big box arrived on the doorstep here yesterday afternoon, and was unpacked this morning to reveal the olive green versions of these! Very nice indeed, too. :)

Well, you've tempted me! Just ordered three from you :)

• Like 1