Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

Just had the first couple in, now aside for fitting lighting units with LEDs, metal brass bearings to the bogies, and adding a bit of weight, as they are a bit light in my opinion. My only comment is the windows are a bit thick, and not as clear as they could be, to show the interior, which can be detailed a bit more than standard. Passengers and luggage etc will be added soon.

As standard the running is good, but a little more weight will help give stable running. The bogies as supplied allow a bit of side movement, it only needs one end tightened up to improve stability. Given the free running, a full set would be no load for any loco.

Stephen

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know how to dismantle the coaches so people can repaint them?  I expect some people will want to repaint them in malachite green but I am planning to commit sacrilege by repainting them in LSWR chocolate and salmon pink to go with my LSWR Adams Radial tanks.

Considering that these coaches were rebuilt from 48' to 58' mid 1930s and never ran in that condition on the LSWR that's a bit of backdating!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Considering that these coaches were rebuilt from 48' to 58' mid 1930s and never ran in that condition on the LSWR that's a bit of backdating!

Keith

That's true, but

• How many people will notice?
  • Use rule 1: it's my model railway, and I'll run what I like.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Keith

I think Robin's use of the word 'sacrilege' suggests he knows exactly what he is doing. :jester:

John

• Like 2

The ingredients for my 2-Set No 45 were delivered this morning. They are currently sitting on my desk top, awaitiing transfer to the carriage sidings. Without one of the 3 Lyme Regis locos in appropriate livery, I am undecided as to which loco from my modest collection should be given the privilege of pulling the first departure of the day from MoF. Probably T1 number 7.

My real point, however, is to confirm all of the foregoing comments regarding the stunning accuracy and detailing. Wow, and thrice wow, and further words would distract.

Please, Mr Hornby, may we have some more.

PB

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

An excellent effort from Hornby and a fine addition to their stable of coaching types. Given the level of detail and quality of finish these are very good value for money too, they deserve to sell well.

• Like 1

Mine arrived today, I've got some photos but they're too big to upload straight from my phone, in the mean time, here's a short video I uploaded to my Twitter :) I love them! https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/759414358086676482?s=09

Edit: excuse the mess, the layout has been undergoing a complete rebuild

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2

Hi 

has anyone having a problem getting hold of these coaches, As today i went into Town to two Model shops, One a model railway and one a toy shop that has a model and Hornby.

Both shops i visited had been sent none of the coaches, both had ordered them in. 

I know they are available from the two box sifters and Hornby direct But would have liked to support my local shops,

Now i will have to use one of them to get a set.

Pity as i like my  local model shop.

Hi 

has anyone having a problem getting hold of these coaches, As today i went into Town to two Model shops, One a model railway and one a toy shop that has a model and Hornby.

Both shops i visited had been sent none of the coaches, both had ordered them in. 

I know they are available from the two box sifters and Hornby direct But would have liked to support my local shops,

Hi

Doesn't seem to be an issue where I live in East Anglia, my two local model shops, one in Colchester and one in Ipswich both received their orders of these coaches on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively.

• RMweb Premium

Hi 

Unfortunately Hornby haven't been too kind to many small shops in the recent past.

I used to get my Hornby stuff from Ian Allan in Birmingham but they got messed around so much they stopped selling Hornby.

Bachmann has been the main beneficiary with a much increased Farish stock and lots of Woodland Scenics items!

I bought my ex LSWR coaches from Derails (Little Dan) who you would hardly call a box shifter!

Try him, (if he has any left!) he gives excellent service and his prices are competitive.

http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_46

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Unfortunately Hornby haven't been too kind to many small shops in the recent past.

I used to get my Hornby stuff from Ian Allan in Birmingham but they got messed around so much they stopped selling Hornby.

Bachmann has been the main beneficiary with a much increased Farish stock and lots of Woodland Scenics items!

I bought my ex LSWR coaches from Derails (Little Dan) who you would hardly call a box shifter!

Try him, (if he has any left!) he gives excellent service and his prices are competitive.

http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_46

Keith

Had a look, only seems to have the SR ones in.

Now got myself a set, had to go to Hatton's in the end.

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Premium

I secumbed to all 8 versions - and they are superb models.

However, a question for those with access to the appropriate resources. The Olive versions are unlined - which I don't doubt is genuine for the models being produced, but any of these coaches ever get any lining while in Olive?

I ask because although I am awere the quantity of lining and its complexity did get progressively less / simpler as the years passed after its initial ntroduction in the mid 20s, I was under the impression that the only coaches that didn't get any at all (during the Olive era) were some real antiquated stuff used in Hop Pickers specials and things that got repainted after 1938 when Mr Bullied took over / WW2 intervened.

Edited by phil-b259

I secumbed to all 8 versions - and they are superb models.

However, a question for those with access to the appropriate resources. The Olive versions are unlined - which I don't doubt is genuine for the models being produced, but any of these coaches ever get any lining while in Olive?

I ask because although I am awere the quantity of lining and its complexity did get progressively less / simpler as the years passed after its initial ntroduction in the mid 20s, I was under the impression that the only coaches that didn't get any at all (during the Olive era) were some real antiquated stuff used in Hop Pickers specials and things that got repainted after 1938 when Mr Bullied took over / WW2 intervened.

On page 119 of Mike King's book, he suggests that the rebuilds were probably all in unlined Maunsell olive when put into traffic.  Given that it all took place in the mid-thirties, I would think it unlikely that lining would ever have been applied later.

Unless I have missed something, Gould and the HMRS livery register shed no further light on this.

Mike

(minor edit)

Edited by olivegreen

• RMweb Gold

Had a look, only seems to have the SR ones in.

Now got myself a set, had to go to Hatton's in the end.

Yes unfortunately an issue with our order meant we only got the SR versions, which has been a bit of a pain! Apologies for that.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob,

May we have some information on the loco, Number 1848. Is it a repaint with new numbers?

PB

https://grahammuz.com/2015/01/04/infiltrating-the-gwr-at-brent-or-a-repainted-and-weathered-n-class/

Not a problem Peter.It's the work of SR modeller deluxe Graham Muspratt.I bought a SR green Bachmann N and he did the rest as a gift.A beautiful job and authentic as I have a photo of her at Newton Abbot on a route familiarity turn post war.

post-126-0-55255300-1469991547_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

Hi 

I'd really, really love to support my local model shop ..... but Hobbytimes has been closed for donkey's years, I'm afraid !

• RMweb Gold

I'm debating getting a set of these coaches for my little Cornish project. They are rather nice.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Don't hang about, Nick. These are selling quickly as far as I can discern. Kernow still had some when I ordered half an hour ago. 

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Don't hang about, Nick. These are selling quickly as far as I can discern. Kernow still had some when I ordered half an hour ago. 

Hornby have hit the nail right on the head with these.

Very little (if anything) to criticise and the price is OK.

They've even captured nicely the disparity between the original 48' panelled section and the steel panelled 10' guards section grafted on the end of the brakes.

Keith