Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

I have received my ex-LSWR coaches from Hattons. I think Hornby received theirs first, then Rails and then Hattons last Friday so perhaps the local model shops will get them next.  It looks like the crimson coaches have been more popular as Hattons is selling the crimson coaches for £35 and the olive green coaches for £32.50. I was going to buy them from Rails but they sold out of one of the BR crimson coaches.

The labelling of the boxes is good with the crimson coaches R4746 and R4748 being marked as Set 43 and the olive green coaches R4717 and R4719 being marked as Set 45. For those who remember Tri-ang Hornby's first prenationalisation coaches I am pleased to see that the olive green coaches have grey roofs instead of white roofs. White was correct but the roofs quickly turned grey in service.

I have not yet worked out how to dismantle the coaches but the bodies are separate from the chassis so it may be possible to run a knife blade where the join is. It may be possible to repaint a couple of crimson coaches into LSWR chocolate brown and salmon pink livery without dismantling them.

I used DPD/Interlink Express for delivery for £4 as the Royal Mail option was £16. I tried to access DPD for tracking on my laptop but DPD went permanently onto my home screen. After trying to remove it for an hour I have lost the home screen altogether after MSN hijacked it so any money I saved on postage will be used towards getting my laptop repaired. Hattons packed them on Friday afternoon and I received them this afternoon which is reasonable.

post-17621-0-28652300-1470062854_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The labelling of the boxes is good with the crimson coaches R4746 and R4748 being marked as Set 43 and the olive green coaches R4717 and R4719 being marked as Set 45.

They even have the SR diagram numbers. Very useful when looking up the details about them.

Keith

• Like 2

Hi.  In "Branch Line Album" Ian Allan 1962 is a photo of 30584 hauling 2 Maunsell coaches. A brake composite and a corridor 2nd. If there is a set number on the brake it is not legible. Were there any two coach sets with a brake composite and a corridor 2nd, and if so what were their numbers, or were these loose coaches?

Thank you

Roger

• RMweb Gold

Hi.  In "Branch Line Album" Ian Allan 1962 is a photo of 30584 hauling 2 Maunsell coaches. A brake composite and a corridor 2nd. If there is a set number on the brake it is not legible. Were there any two coach sets with a brake composite and a corridor 2nd, and if so what were their numbers, or were these loose coaches?

Thank you

Roger

This is a 2-Set W, which Hornby were planning to release but I understand to have been cancelled or deferred.  They have previously released both vehicles individually.

Set numbers were 100 to 110 inclusive and the sets were formed in 1958, amongst other purposes, to replace the rebuilt LSWR 2-sets. They were mainly used on the routes to Callington, Sidmouth/Exmouth via Tipton St John, and Lyme Regis. 

On the Lyme Regis branch, the BCK was often used on its own, the SO remaining in Lyme Regis to be added if required.

John

This is a 2-Set W, which Hornby were planning to release but I understand to have been cancelled or deferred.  They have previously released both vehicles individually.

Set numbers were 100 to 110 inclusive and the sets were formed in 1958, amongst other purposes, to replace the rebuilt LSWR 2-sets. They were mainly used on the routes to Callington, Sidmouth/Exmouth via Tipton St John, and Lyme Regis. 

On the Lyme Regis branch, the BCK was often used on its own, the SO remaining in Lyme Regis to be added if required.

John

John.  It can't be a 2-set W, the second coach is a corridor second, not an open second.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

John.  It can't be a 2-set W, the second coach is a corridor second, not an open second.

Roger

I don't think there were any 2-sets formed BCK + SK, so they are presumably loose stock. I don't possess the book in question so can't inspect the photo myself.

Carriage formations on the branch seem to have varied considerably. In Ivo Peters' Southern Steam Album (Ian Allan, 1979), Plate 107 shows a broadside view of 30583 at the Axminster end of Cannington Viaduct in the early spring of 1959, hauling what is clearly a 2-set P (BCK + BSK).

During 1960, 2-Sets W No's 101 and 103 were used on the branch and there may well have been others.

It seems there are numerous permutations for us to choose from. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

And none of this has anything to do with the Maunsell ex LSWR rebuilds that had been scrapped by 1962. Find the correct topic before posting.

(Fully) Back on topic.

Gilwell Park's enquiry was perfectly valid as it related to what came after these coaches were withdrawn.

You are correct in that some lasted as late as 1962 but they ceased to work on the Lyme Regis branch after the summer of 1958.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Thank you

Roger

Do you mean Brake Composite ( i.e. on topic ) or Corridor Brake Composite ( earlier Hornby production ) ..... in either case they're going to be loose stock : apart from the Sets W Gilwell Park refers to the only ( Corridor ) Brake Composite + ( Corridor ) Third pairings I'm aware of were the Ashford-Hastings sets of S.E.C.R. & Thanet stock ! ( soldering iron job for those )

.......... anyway, Kent Garden Railways is probably closer than Invicta  -  but not in walking distance like Hobbytimes used to be !

Popped into Harburn Hobbies yesterday for the crimson but sadly they only had the SR Olive green in stock - to be fair, not much call for Southern stuff in Edinburgh!

Does anyone think it likely that Hornby will release these in Southern Region green as in the pics for the announcement a year ago? http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/stop-press-ex-lswr-48-maunsell-rebuilt-58-coaches/

Mal

Popped into Harburn Hobbies yesterday for the crimson but sadly they only had the SR Olive green in stock - to be fair, not much call for Southern stuff in Edinburgh!

Does anyone think it likely that Hornby will release these in Southern Region green as in the pics for the announcement a year ago? http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/stop-press-ex-lswr-48-maunsell-rebuilt-58-coaches/

Mal

If enough people indicate their wish for a batch of these lovely coaches in a BR(S) green ( whatever shade of green that may be ) I am sure Hornby will  take notice.

Put me down for a set !.

On another matter, Hornby have always insisted on white toilet windows on all their SR coaches, including the EMU's. Generally clear frosted or hammered glass

was used to ensure the occupants modesty. White opaline glass was an LNER feature.

Also I note that Hattons have nearly sold out, and others are getting low on stock, of these SR rebuilds, The Bluebell shop hadn't even had a delivery by last Friday.

Let's hope there is enough demand for another run pretty soon !. ( in different liveries ? ).

If enough people indicate their wish for a batch of these lovely coaches in a BR(S) green ( whatever shade of green that may be ) I am sure Hornby will  take notice.

Put me down for a set !.

On another matter, Hornby have always insisted on white toilet windows on all their SR coaches, including the EMU's. Generally clear frosted or hammered glass

was used to ensure the occupants modesty. White opaline glass was an LNER feature.

As discussed somewhere above, it should be possible to backdate B.R. green - IF Hornby ever produce them - to Bulleid insignia ( but not so simple t'other way ) ....... window labelling would be a hassle as nobody does the late S.R. 'NO SMOKING' triangles.

White windows are, indeed, a pain ......... IF that section of the glazing strip can be separated and removed, a dip in Model Strip ( or whatever it's called nowadays ) will get rid of the paint - DON'T as I once did leave the windows to soak overnight as they'll end up completely white throughout ! Use a fibreglass pencil to frost the inside of the 'glass' before returning to the coach or - if you can't extract it in the first place carefully / patiently scratch the white off with the bent end of a scriber.

Mal

Which flags up an interesting (to me at any rate) point.

There were six of these sets (42-46 inclusive), with two different liveries. (Although new evidence on another forum would suggest that Set 43 was withdrawn still in green). So if Hornby were to bite the bullet and release a second production batch, we could hope for new Set numbers. Well, they can count me in.

PB

• Like 1

Do you mean Brake Composite ( i.e. on topic ) or Corridor Brake Composite ( earlier Hornby production ) ..... in either case they're going to be loose stock : apart from the Sets W Gilwell Park refers to the only ( Corridor ) Brake Composite + ( Corridor ) Third pairings I'm aware of were the Ashford-Hastings sets of S.E.C.R. & Thanet stock ! ( soldering iron job for those )

.......... anyway, Kent Garden Railways is probably closer than Invicta  -  but not in walking distance like Hobbytimes used to be !

Hi.  Thanks to everybody for the information provided, I will use a couple of loose Maunsell corridors. I would also be in the market for a pair of 58' rebuilds in green with BR lettering, even if not 100% correct.

I was not sure whether to raise my query in the Adams 4-4-2T thread, referring to the locos,  or the Maunsell 58' rebuilt coach thread but chose the latter as the query was about coaches. I could not find anything more appropriate.

Roger

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

He wasn't posting, he was responding.

Well said matey. I would have suggested that #460 was a really rude post, was unnecessary and had no place in this discussion, however I didn't get the chance to do that and so missed my opportunity.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Well said matey. I would have suggested that #460 was a really rude post, was unnecessary and had no place in this discussion, however I didn't get the chance to do that and so missed my opportunity.

Phil

Ian beat me to it by a couple of minutes,so I clicked the agree icon.I'm glad someone else has picked up on this. We do have mods on this forum who act as our referees and to whom arbitration should be referred on such matters.What we do not need is a member displaying dismissive,high handed behaviour.Surely we should treat each other with deference and courtesy,seemingly lacking here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian beat me to it by a couple of minutes,so I clicked the agree icon.I'm glad someone else has picked up on this. We do have mods on this forum who act as our referees and to whom arbitration should be referred on such matters.What we do not need is a member displaying dismissive,high handed behaviour.Surely we should treat each other with deference and courtesy,seemingly lacking here.

Maybe the person was having a very bad day? However, still unforgivable IMO.

I am looking forward also to BRSR versions of these coaches and I shall also post a pic of my 'scarlet' 3rd when it arrives from Hereford Model Shop. That will do nicely for my requirements for now.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Thanks to renumbering of posts following the removal of the unwanted post #460 is the welcome response to it!!

Thanks to renumbering of posts following the removal of the unwanted post #460 is the welcome response to it!!

That sounds like re-writing history to expunge inconvenient facts ............. anyway, so far as I'm concerned anything marginal to topic is acceptable if not welcome : in a way it's analogous to spotting some hitherto unercognised gem in the background of a familiar photograph.

• RMweb Gold

Which flags up an interesting (to me at any rate) point.

There were six of these sets (42-46 inclusive), with two different liveries. (Although new evidence on another forum would suggest that Set 43 was withdrawn still in green). So if Hornby were to bite the bullet and release a second production batch, we could hope for new Set numbers. Well, they can count me in.

PB

Me too.

Judging by a certain amount of clamour on here for these coaches to be released in "BR" green, I reckon another run (including a coach pack of a 2-set) in SR Malachite with BR markings would tick many peoples' boxes with no need for anyone (especially Hornby) to invoke Rule 1. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Me too.

Judging by a certain amount of clamour on here for these coaches to be released in "BR" green, I reckon another run (including a coach pack of a 2-set) in SR Malachite with BR markings would tick many peoples' boxes with no need for anyone (especially Hornby) to invoke Rule 1. 

John

Careful !- you're implying that there was a significant difference between "BR" green and SR Malachite with BR markings ....... I think the jury's still out on that ! ( Until the new H.M.R.S. Livery Register p'raps ? )

• RMweb Gold

Careful !- you're implying that there was a significant difference between "BR" green and SR Malachite with BR markings ....... I think the jury's still out on that ! ( Until the new H.M.R.S. Livery Register p'raps ? )

Based on the previous releases of Maunsells, Hornby seem convinced they are the same shade. A learned member, 10800, demonstrated this by a single photo some years back, with one vehicle in each livery juxtaposed. Hard to argue with!

It is said that when BR Southern Region introduced 'coaching stock green' in 1956, it was meant to match or resemble the shade the SR Malachite had become (darker) through revarnishing over the preceding seven years. Not to be confused with the green (lighter) that the Southern Region, London Midland Region and Eastern Region was applying to electric stock in the 1950's.

Edited by coachmann